Lt. Commander
I ground out the "Cold Comfort" mission 6 times to get 6 rapid reload transphasics. Someone pointed out to me that they do not operate on global torpedo cooldown so you can actually fire them off one after another.

I used the VA Intrepid and put in TSP1 and TSP2 as my tactical skills. 2x transphasic consoles to boost the damage as much as I could. It was kinda fun to fly around just using torps. You can get pretty consistent salvos off- by the time you turn from fore to aft you can use TSP again. The intrepid makes it neat since you can still fight when using the ablative armor console, essentially making you almost invincible for 15 secs or so. And since you have no beam weapons, dropping right out of full impulse means you can get to fighting right away. Also you can keep your weapon power level at 25 so your shield, engine, and aux end up being fairly high.

Unfortunately I think it just doesn't have the damage. However, maybe, just maybe, if you run in a team it might, might work since they'll be there to help strip shields off, allowing you to get better damage on your torps since the shields are what soak up all the damage.

Anyway it was an interesting build. Give it a try just for kicks if you have the time .
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2012, 10:52 PM
HMM, that does sound fun, I can't wait to get home and try that build,
does anyone know how the Hargh'peng is setup? Shared timer act? it could be a nice addition.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I tested one out on tribble. Took a cruiser with 4 turrets in the rear, and up front:

1x Quantum, 1x Harg'peng, 1x Plasma, 1x Tricobalt.

It makes for neat fireworks

(Note: use at least two high-yields or spreads with this)
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Because torpedoes do next to nothing on shields, this would be near useless unfortunately.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Break shields first, then useless no more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
Because torpedoes do next to nothing on shields, this would be near useless unfortunately.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2012, 08:17 PM
With Turrets? lol...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
With Turrets? lol...
Its not for PVP, torps DO break shields, especially the multi-hit high yield/spreads.

But the 4x rear turrets help take down the shields.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
well it could work, i have been thinking about it, the turrent in the back will get off the shields and with no shields on, the torpedo spread og high is a deadly tactick.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
I ground out the "Cold Comfort" mission 6 times to get 6 rapid reload transphasics. Someone pointed out to me that they do not operate on global torpedo cooldown so you can actually fire them off one after another.

I used the VA Intrepid and put in TSP1 and TSP2 as my tactical skills. 2x transphasic consoles to boost the damage as much as I could. It was kinda fun to fly around just using torps. You can get pretty consistent salvos off- by the time you turn from fore to aft you can use TSP again. The intrepid makes it neat since you can still fight when using the ablative armor console, essentially making you almost invincible for 15 secs or so. And since you have no beam weapons, dropping right out of full impulse means you can get to fighting right away. Also you can keep your weapon power level at 25 so your shield, engine, and aux end up being fairly high.

Unfortunately I think it just doesn't have the damage. However, maybe, just maybe, if you run in a team it might, might work since they'll be there to help strip shields off, allowing you to get better damage on your torps since the shields are what soak up all the damage.

Anyway it was an interesting build. Give it a try just for kicks if you have the time .
I have a torpedo boat and I love it. Well it's not top notch performance but it works well and is fun. Ship Excelsior, fitting x4 front Rapid Fire Transphasic Torpdeos. Rear, x2 Transphasic mines with x2 plasma turrets. x3 Projectile boosting consoles at 26%. x1 assimilated console. Two parts of the Breen set for Kinetic damage. One Veteran BO and Projectile Specialization at max which both further boost damage. This setup allows me to either run at 120 shield power or as I amor tank I run at 120Aux power. Plus Power to dampeners to help turn rate.

x2 Turrets and Torps will break shields in PvE not that you need to as each torp will do over 1000 damage to hull even if shields are up. It works fine for PvP, I often come high up in the damage chart. Same for STF's, I was surprised to keep comeing 2nd and 1st.

x3 Plsama, x1 Hargh'peng can kill faster unless Hazerd Emitters are involved then damage drops below Transphasic. Hargh'peng x2 will have cooldown problems. In PvE x3 Plsama, x1 Hargh'peng will cut though anything fast.

Happy to show the ship performance in PvE or PvP in game, just give me a shout.

EDIT: As a note I don't like Hargh'peng not because of its performance which is great but the slow fire rate. Having only 4 torpdeos feels wrong if the torpedoes fire slowly as its boring to watch.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2012, 12:21 AM
I'd recommend Charged Particle Burst 3 and Tachyon Beam 3 on a sci ship w/ full Aux to get down the shields.

One Dual Beam Bank for Target Shields would help, too. Add 3 Projectile Weapons Officer to reduce the torps cooldown.

Torpedo boats are pure fun setups for normal PvE missions or PvP support vessels.