Lt. Commander
Quote:
From ESPN:
They called it boring football, unimaginative football.

LSU coach Les Miles said it best on Sunday.

In these parts, they call it “big-boy football.”
I'll see you in a few hours! ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-10-2012, 12:18 AM
As an Australian who generally doesn't care about any kind of "Football" that uses padding, I'm curious... Is the "Crimson Tide" and their "Roll Tide" chant in any way related to the film, Crimson Tide, the submarine USS Alabama, and the soundtrack score called Roll Tide by Hans Zimmer?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
As an Australian who generally doesn't care about any kind of "Football" that uses padding, I'm curious... Is the "Crimson Tide" and their "Roll Tide" chant in any way related to the film, Crimson Tide, the submarine USS Alabama, and the soundtrack score called Roll Tide by Hans Zimmer?
The other way around. The film is from the early 1990s. The University of Alabama can actually trace its name back to the 1907 Iron Bowl. Alabama held a heavily favored Auburn to a 6-6 tie while playing in a sea of red mud. Thus the name Crimson Tide was born. "Roll Tide" can be traced to the 1926 Rose Bowl and a student newspaper contest to write a new fight song.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Didn't watch the game - football ended for me with Michigan's bowl win (Seriously never expected it - it's still the team Rodriguez built, figured the new coach would need at least a year or two to rebuild), but I hear things didn't go well for LSU. Bit of a heartbreak, they had a stellar season.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
And I would have thought your other passion would be knitting.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizarone View Post
And I would have thought your other passion would be knitting.
If you are a PAC-12 fan, it was probably just as exciting. But here in the South, we live on good defense.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
If you are a PAC-12 fan, it was probably just as exciting. But here in the South, we live on good defense.
More of a Big 12 fan, even though that is going to fall apart like a Jenga tower come next season >.<
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizarone View Post
More of a Big 12 fan, even though that is going to fall apart like a Jenga tower come next season >.<
I think they may have hurt Ok State with the voters more than people think. Yes, Alabama 'lost' to LSU in overtime and Ok State lost to a 4-TD underdog, but the Big 12 falling apart did not help the Pokes' case. Had they been able to play in a Big 12 championship game against anybody, I think they would have gotten the nod over Alabama.

And they would have been spanked by LSU.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I LOVED IT, complete shutout. ROLL TIDE!!