Lt. Commander
# 21
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
If refreshing the screen fixes this, then how was it a coding problem?
Aren't you refreshing the same "broken code"?

not a troll, just asking
There could be many causes. I won't take the time to troubleshoot their code for them, but I understand how you could arrive at that conclusion. The short answer is no, you're not actually refreshing the same broken code. For instance, some of their jQuery could have been cached during the initial run and then the browser was more forgiving of something that is wrong. But that's pure speculation. I spend enough time troubleshooting my own work to look any deeper into theirs.

Edit: Or the exact opposite of what I said, as pointed out by others, lol...
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
It looks fine in Opera.

DEATH TO IE 6! DEATH!
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
This has to do with your cache -- reset your browser, refresh the page, or clear your cache. One of those will work.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon,

No offense, but that's not a solution. Seriously, now. If you're going to use cached components then use a content delivery network like Akamai so you can control when things are cached and when they are purged from the cache. And if you're going to create a whole new look and feel, you really shouldn't be naming things identically to create such a problem. You guys need to fix this, because this isn't something any end user should have to see.

Cheers,

-Samuel
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
Someone needs to learn CSS, lol...

Screenshot 1 | Screenshot 2
It looked like that for me, but it fixed itself the next time I clicked on my bookmark. I use Firefox... I think it looks very nice.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
This has to do with your cache -- reset your browser, refresh the page, or clear your cache. One of those will work.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Yes, Branflakes! That's what we were missing! More Bran in the forum diet!!
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
It's not a problem with the page it's a problem with your browser cache.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
It's not a problem with the page it's a problem with your browser cache.
You're wrong. My browser cache is operating correctly. It is a problem with poor programming conventions. When Amazon or any other large site makes changes, I don't have to refresh my browser to make things look right. Why? Because they know how to work with caches correctly. There are ridiculously simple ways around this, like appending the date to the end of any external CSS or JS file as a parameter, or some other similar naming convention. In this case, the team just named everything the same, despite a completely new look and feel. That is poor programming practice, simple as that.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
i get this prob on a few websites but all i have to do to fix this is clear browser data and it works fine after that
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Seems to me that there is a solution to your particular problem, but you're ignoring it in favor of ranting about what you think is proper web design conventions.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemyrex View Post
i get this prob on a few websites but all i have to do to fix this is clear browser data and it works fine after that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevn
Seems to me that there is a solution to your particular problem, but you're ignoring it in favor of ranting about what you think is proper web design conventions.
I do not want to beat a dead horse, but perhaps my message just isn't clear enough...

No one should be expected to refresh their page to "fix" this problem.

The solutions to preventing this problem are too simple for this to have ever become a problem.

Not everyone visiting the homepage is going to understand why their page looks like that, and they're not going to come running to the forums for an answer. They're going to close out of the website and be done with it.

There are only two ways this problem even came about:

1. Someone didn't consider that they would encounter a caching problem (indicating they don't have any naming conventions in place, which is poor programming.)

2. Someone didn't think the problem was that big of a deal. (Well, lots of people have probably been visiting in anticipation of free-to-play and those players who come back will encounter this issue. Is this really what you want them to see?)

That's all I'm going to say on the subject. Clearly, Cryptic is aware. That's all that matters. Either they'll remedy this problem or they won't.