Lt. Commander
When one views the star trek series, one may note a profound lack of combat when it is compared with this game. Never once have I heard O'Brien (I use O'Brien because this game is so heavily slanted toward iconic findings in DS9) request common unreplicateable materials to get something done. Dilithium was not commonly, if ever, used as a currency. Federation energy credits would be highly unlikely to be accepted outside the federation. Latinum was the coveted currency of the galaxy, and it had use. On many occasions alien races were shown that had more than 4 appendages, or in some cases less... I could go on and on.

Can we maybe work on some of this before work resumes on the foundry (Which really should be worked into a shipboard holodeck system, COME ON)? Please, do 1 thing that makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
When one views the star trek series, one may note a profound lack of combat when it is compared with this game. Never once have I heard O'Brien (I use O'Brien because this game is so heavily slanted toward iconic findings in DS9) request common unreplicateable materials to get something done. Dilithium was not commonly, if ever, used as a currency. Federation energy credits would be highly unlikely to be accepted outside the federation. Latinum was the coveted currency of the galaxy, and it had use. On many occasions alien races were shown that had more than 4 appendages, or in some cases less... I could go on and on.

Can we maybe work on some of this before work resumes on the foundry (Which really should be worked into a shipboard holodeck system, COME ON)? Please, do 1 thing that makes sense.
You, me, and that rock over there think the same. No, the one to the left, the one on the right is a PvP god and will crush your soul.

Joking aside though, I agree. Sadly I also have to say that I really, really doubt you will get to see anything that makes sense. This is an MMO, which means you shoot things. It doesn't matter what the MMO is about or based on, you shoot things. The RPG aspect has absolutely nothing to do with actual roleplaying, that's just a tag line companies use to say their game has levels and skills. And of course, the higher your level and skills, the more you can shoot things. Reached max level? Now you get to shoot other players! Sadly, it's the only way to keep players interested these days.

Myst Online: Uru Live is actually more Trek like with exploring, and has absolutely no combat at all. None. Very few people play it though, and it's been closed twice already, only to be restarted. World of ******** is one of the most successful MMO's on the market. But that's because they have a whole lot of things to shoot, and a bunch of player shooting things implemented. Plus end game things to shoot at.

Those of us who want an actual Trek game are in the minority, we don't matter when it's more profitable to just add more things in to shoot. I hope you are seeing the pattern here, to be successful they need to add more things to shoot, even if that means totally screwing up the Trek Intellectual Property. It's a lot easier if you stop thinking this is even remotely an attempt at a Trek MMO, and start thinking of it more as World of Spacecraft.

Cryptic/Perfect World, I want to start seeing some endgame 40 man raids. And a Borg Cube sized space dragon with six wings that eats suns would be fricken awesome to take on as a raid boss for our starships.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynShaufer
Cryptic/Perfect World, I want to start seeing some endgame 40 man raids. And a Borg Cube sized space dragon with six wings that eats suns would be fricken awesome to take on as a raid boss for our starships.
Yes! And I want an Eisilum Crystal Gekli space pet.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Actually, I'd say that because so many people want STO to be so many things, Cryptic should focus on making the Foundry more elaborate and integrated with more in-game aspects of STO. Then, the community could truly create their own brand of STAR TREK gameplay and show Cryptic what sort of content to focus on making.

Alas though, Kathryn's right. It's been proven time and again that most MMO'ers simply want more stuff to shoot at and shinier weapons to that with.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
so many people want STO to be so many things
This, this, a thousand times this.

Everyone wants something different. A 'true' Trek game in your eyes, might be entirely boring to someone else. I mean, who wants to sit at the conn 8 hours a day, waiting for something to happen. And what those people find exciting, you might find don't match your ideals for Trek.

Remove the word Trek from the above, and you describe the dilemma of making any video game, let alone an MMO. Do you focus on one aspect that some people REALLY love? Or do you try to hit a few different aspects to draw in more players. The bottom line is that video games companies are businesses, and thus, have to try to appeal to the broadest customer base they can. We still really want this to be all about Trek, but we cannot build a game for 8 people, and as such, there are some points that have to be hit, in order to appeal to the masses.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2012, 10:13 AM
There are plenty of non combat types of quest that could have been added, that are fun. Like destroying asteroids headed for a planet. Pulling ships out of the gravitational pull of a star to rescue them. Stopping a warp core from breaching on a ship to keep it from exploding, then treat the crew for radiation.

It was just a lot easier to make a kill five ships and five NPC's. I don't think STO appeals to the broadest customer base, not even close.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Remove the word Trek from the above, and you describe the dilemma of making any video game, let alone an MMO. Do you focus on one aspect that some people REALLY love? Or do you try to hit a few different aspects to draw in more players.
Its pretty simple: you cant please everyone, so you try to please the most people possible. So what do the most people agree on wanting? New things to DO on a regular basis. It doesnt matter how many new ITEMS you add to a game(costumes and ships in STO, costumes and power sets in Champs); if you dont give people new things to DO with them on a regular basis they will get bored.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
We still really want this to be all about Trek, but we cannot build a game for 8 people, and as such, there are some points that have to be hit, in order to appeal to the masses.
Sorry, I can't cut you anymore slack. The community has been giving you guys feedback since before launch and you know what? The one thing I hoped you guys would learn, you still haven't.

That one thing I hoped Cryptic would learn is that taking an engine that works perfectly for Superhero games and forcing it to serve a game based on a franchise that is as versatile as Sci-Fi itself, just isn't satisfactory!

I obviously speak for myself here, but it seems to me that Cryptic has consistently failed to understand that STAR TREK, as a franchise, is based on the Captain, Crew and Ship coming up against a plethora of scenarios and figuring out their options in dealing with the issues at hand.

The basic concept here isn't to include segregated diplomatic gameplay and segregated combat-based gameplay but to allow the player to decide which avenue to go with and face the consequences when their gambit succeeds or fails. Cryptics' continued approach of adding segregated game systems simply doesn't cut it for me, and possibly for many others like me.

STO doesn't even maintain the illusion of choice and this cuts down on the immersion so much so that the entire game seems like an insult to the franchise more than those single-player games that focus on combat alone. At least those games never try to advertise themselves as more than what they were, you know?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
This, this, a thousand times this.

Everyone wants something different. A 'true' Trek game in your eyes, might be entirely boring to someone else. I mean, who wants to sit at the conn 8 hours a day, waiting for something to happen. And what those people find exciting, you might find don't match your ideals for Trek.

Remove the word Trek from the above, and you describe the dilemma of making any video game, let alone an MMO. Do you focus on one aspect that some people REALLY love? Or do you try to hit a few different aspects to draw in more players. The bottom line is that video games companies are businesses, and thus, have to try to appeal to the broadest customer base they can. We still really want this to be all about Trek, but we cannot build a game for 8 people, and as such, there are some points that have to be hit, in order to appeal to the masses.
Excuses.....

There is no reason this game can't have more of a genuine feel for the IP while maintaining that
"shoot everything" mentality. Have your toon beam down to a Romulan base, the Romulan's are using Federation Tricorders to scan EVERYTHING. This fits your above post how exactly?

I could list 50 more examples like the one above but that would derail the OPs thread...

The bottom line is this, the game is this way because Cryptic lacked the proper amount of time to develop
it, is greedy (uh, just look at the cash cow store) and it seems that not a single Star Trek fan was/is on the development team.

So, a review....greed+pressure to finish+disinterest in the IP = Star Trek Online.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
The problem is...you Devs come at the issue just like that. You want to "remove the Trek" from the equation. You cannot do that with this Franchise. This franchise is probably older than most of your team. Your company chose to try and take on a universe that is held very dear to more people around the world than most religions. With that undertaking you need to really sit and think about where you are going to go. Are you going to Boldly Go or are you going to sit and be mediocre? Star Trek is just that...Star Trek. You can't hope to please people with the attitude of, Well...it is Star Trekish kind of sort of. Either make it Trek or call it a day in my opinion.