Lt. Commander
# 1 Sopa/ Pipa
01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I cannot, in good conscience, play Star Trek Online at this current point in time.

At present, the game's publisher, Perfect World Entertainment, supports the Stop Online Piracy Act through their membership with the Entertainment Software Association (ESA).

SOPA is a proposed US bill that will try to stem piracy by allowing copyright owners to forcibly shut down URLs that supposedly infringe upon copyrighted materials. It is so vaguely worded that even innocuous items like a person's Let's Play video or a karaoke video of a person singing along to a copyrighted song may become felonies (with punishments more severe than first time drug offenders). In short, current web content protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) may soon garner their creators felony charges.

Why PWE (a publisher that largely publishes MMOs, which relay more heavily on subscriptions and in-game item sales rather than physical box sales) would support such an abhorrent bill, is beyond my understanding. There again, why anyone would try to stop piracy with such ham-fisted cencorship is beyond my understanding as well.

Until PWE explicitly drops their support of SOPA (even regardless to the stance of the ESA), I cannot play, promote, nor patronize this game.

Fore more info:
http://americancensorship.org/
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/06/sopa-list-esa/
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...-the-internet/

... or just search for SOPA on your search engine of your choice.

PWE_BranFlakes, please add this to your list of feeddback.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2012, 02:40 PM
I truly hope this thread doesn't get locked, closed, or erased. If Cryptic and/or PWE openly support SOPA then they should have no issue stating such and allowing reasonable discussion on their boards. Maybe it's more appropriate to move this to Ten Forward, however.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2012, 02:42 PM
so you don't plan on buying any games this year then? Just about every major developer is a member of ESA
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
I cannot, in good conscience, play Star Trek Online at this current point in time.

At present, the game's publisher, Perfect World Entertainment, supports the Stop Online Piracy Act through their membership with the Entertainment Software Association (ESA).

SOPA is a proposed US bill that will try to stem piracy by allowing copyright owners to forcibly shut down URLs that supposedly infringe upon copyrighted materials. It is so vaguely worded that even innocuous items like a person's Let's Play video or a karaoke video of a person singing along to a copyrighted song may become felonies (with punishments more severe than first time drug offenders). In short, current web content protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) may soon garner their creators felony charges.

Why PWE (a publisher that largely publishes MMOs, which relay more heavily on subscriptions and in-game item sales rather than physical box sales) would support such an abhorrent bill, is beyond my understanding. There again, why anyone would try to stop piracy with such ham-fisted cencorship is beyond my understanding as well.

Until PWE explicitly drops their support of SOPA (even regardless to the stance of the ESA), I cannot play, promote, nor patronize this game.

Fore more info:
http://americancensorship.org/
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/06/sopa-list-esa/
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...-the-internet/

... or just search for SOPA on your search engine of your choice.

PWE_BranFlakes, please add this to your list of feeddback.
I didn't know PW was supporting this bill. But, yeah, I've heard about the bill through my fav tech radio program-tech news today-and through the EFF's website. The idea of somebody getting a felony charge because of a karaoke video is very abhorrent, so yeah, I probably wouldn't support the bill. That being said, I hope people read this before it gets closed by the moderators.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
so you don't plan on buying any games this year then? Just about every major developer is a member of ESA
And to add to that, it's not legislation that's likely to get passed.

(Are we allowed to talk about legislation here?)
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
GoDaddy made the mistake of supporting SOPA recently and took a nasty hit with their customers.

I don't fully understand why PWE would support this since my understanding right now would put them at risk from the US Government. If any copyright/IP material is posted on this forum or transited via the game illegally, the US Government can blacklist the site immediately. The owners becomes fully responsible in real time for material posted on user-based content. Hence why social media and youtube could not operate because they wouldn't even be giving the leeway of their "Report Abuse" system.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
And to add to that, it's not legislation that's likely to get passed.

(Are we allowed to talk about legislation here?)
No, I'm pretty sure that this falls into the category of a political discussion. If you guys want to get up to speed on this particular issue, I recommend visiting the Electronic Frontier Foundation's website.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2012, 02:49 PM
The bill will never pass.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterUK View Post
The bill will never pass.
Doesn't mean people shouldn't know about it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Oh yeah very true ppl should know about it but i highly doubt it would ever get passed because it would hurt too many companies also it infringes on freedom of the internet.