Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
GoDaddy made the mistake of supporting SOPA recently and took a nasty hit with their customers.

I don't fully understand why PWE would support this since my understanding right now would put them at risk from the US Government. If any copyright/IP material is posted on this forum or transited via the game illegally, the US Government can blacklist the site immediately. The owners becomes fully responsible in real time for material posted on user-based content. Hence why social media and youtube could not operate because they wouldn't even be giving the leeway of their "Report Abuse" system.
Right now, there is no definitive statement by PWE or Cryptic that they do support this. It's just conjecture from a Joystiq article. All that article says is that they didn't get a response from PWE. So the best anyone can say is they support it "by proxy" and with so many members being a part of ESA, it's not like they are responsible for the creation of it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterUK View Post
Oh yeah very true ppl should know about it but i highly doubt it would ever get passed because it would hurt too many companies also it infringes on freedom of the internet.
Yeah, true. Plus it would tie the hands of federal judges who should have the ability to discern the intentions of the defendant instead of having to base his decision solely on a federal sentencing guideline.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Since Perfect World is a Chinese company, it's safe to assume they support the bill considering the politics of their country especially in regards to censorship. On the flip side, since it's a U.S. bill, why should they have an opinion one way or another?
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWiggles
Since Perfect World is a Chinese company, it's safe to assume they support the bill considering the politics of their country especially in regards to censorship. On the flip side, since it's a U.S. bill, why should they have an opinion one way or another?
Well, although they are a Chinese company, they do own games that are played throughout the world, including the U.S. Thus, they would have an interest in the bill because any large company gravitates towards promoting strong protection of their copyrighted material and patented inventions. It's not a question of where or who; it's a question of do they have enough money and patents. If a company has enough money to pay patent lawyers to sue other companies for supposed infringment, you bet your britches they are going to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
I'm certain I may be wrong on this. But doesn't this mean that no material that can even be remotely considered copyrighted can be displayed anywhere on the web without the express permission of the copyright holder, or unless by the copyright holder themselves?

If(and I say again, if) that bill passes, that means all those fancy forum avatars people be using here has to go. Unless you custom made yours from scratch.
Lt. Commander
# 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
Right now, there is no definitive statement by PWE or Cryptic that they do support this. It's just conjecture from a Joystiq article. All that article says is that they didn't get a response from PWE. So the best anyone can say is they support it "by proxy" and with so many members being a part of ESA, it's not like they are responsible for the creation of it.
I was about to say this pretty much word-for-word.

This is bogus. PWE nor Cryptic have expressed any support of SOPA whatsoever. This thread needs to be closed to prevent misconceptions.

And by the way, SOPA will only allow copyright holders to file court orders against websites. They still have to be passed through a court of law and no court in the USA would ever send someone to prison for making a karaoke video.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Weather PWE and Cryptic support SOPA or not, this is a good thing to hear the official, corporate policy on it.

Though it's demmed hard to find anyone out there who'll actually come out against it. Even so, for an amusing take on this issue, brought to you by the guy who did Get Your War On, have a butchers at Get Your Censor On.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leptoon View Post
I was about to say this pretty much word-for-word.

This is bogus. PWE nor Cryptic have expressed any support of SOPA whatsoever. This thread needs to be closed to prevent misconceptions.
The Entertainment Software Association is the principle lobbyist for game developers (Perfect world included). At present, the ESA supports the Stop Online Piracy Act, and unless it's members explicity say otherwise, they are tacitly supporting the bill. After all, don't you think the ESA would be consulting with it's members on this before giving the go ahead to support it? The only reason why some companies and developers are beginning to oppose is because it has begun to receive a lot of bad publicity in the last 4-5 months.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...RuP_story.html

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/06/sopa-list-esa/ -list of EFA member companies for and against it
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
That website is flagged by my internet security program for identity theft. It uses a security license from another website.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Our land is just in the process of its slow devolution into corporate feudalism. Just keep drinking and yammering on about how super awesome Ayn Rand is until they put the locking Advertisement Delivery Collars around the necks of you and your children.