# 21
01-12-2012, 11:44 PM
"Self-enforced Moderation"

To avoid Futher misunderstandings.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

In the tech support forum, we will remind everyone to please refrain from trolling, flaming, baiting, or being immature with one another. It is not tolerated.

This part of the forums is to help each other solve problems. Not to brag, act like you know more than someone else, or comment just to comment (which can be seen as bumping or spamming, which is a TOS violation).

There are other parts of the forums and sub forums with which to do things like that.

We are here to enjoy a game, find others to enjoy it with (and talk trash competitively), and to have fun.

If anyone is super anxious to start fixing something with a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World product or service, check out the career pages for both and see if they are hiring in your expertise and apply!

Otherwise, please be mindful of the other players around you and the Terms of Service.

You perhaps will comply :p
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
sorry rswfire, but he's not incompetent, he's right. For the record, I use chrome, and STO's site works fine for me. If you're having problems at this point, they're on your end, not Cryptic's.

You may have been programming for 25 years, but I make a living troubleshooting computers. One of the most common problems with browsers is exactly what he mentioned. You may want to consider trying his advice before you start insulting him again.
I'm not having any problems. I know what the issue was. They re-used the same naming conventions for cached content, resulting in any one who has visited the site in the past seeing what appeared to be a "broken website." Yes, technically the site is not broken, but it appears broken until you clear your cache. And that is incompetence because it should never have happened.

It is possible to completely re-create a website from scratch and never encounter a problem like this -- it's as simple as using proper naming conventions. To avoid this caching issue, they could have simply appended a date to the end of their CSS and JS files and no one would have seen the appearance of a broken site.

It's just the simple truth. This was so easily avoided that I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that this was actually released the way that it was. And now we get elaborate responses on how to "fix the problem" that include explanations about anti-virus programs and ad blockers. It just comes across as so insulting because the issue rests on their end.

They could fix this in mere minutes (or perhaps a few hours, depending upon how they've structured the site, but I honestly believe about 15 minutes would do it) but instead for the next week these threads will keep popping up, and a lot of people will just leave because they don't visit the forums and they'll just see the appearance of a broken website.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshcu View Post
The problem is you put new resources at the old location and so the browsers still had the old resources cached. There is a way to prevent this problem 100% of the time so there are no issues. If you change an image, css, js or any other resource file give it a new url that you have not used before.

What I suggest is putting a version number in a url and setting it to cache forever. That way your website always works for people, you never run into outdated cache versions and the pages run insanely faster.

I have taken some websites from 10 seconds load times to .5 seconds just doing this kind of stuff.
^ This. That's exactly what I just wrote above this post.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpanda16 View Post
Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully some of the devs are aware of that and make the appropriate changes.

I am not the web developer for the website, all I can do is offer you suggestions on how to fix it so that you can use it and view it.
Well, I apologize if you honestly had no idea about this issue. I only reacted the way I did (not to "show off" -- I've no need to, I'm quite comfortable with my career and STO is supposed to be my break from work!) but because I just find it very frustrating that things like this keep happening.

You are the stewards of Star Trek Online. I just want to see some professionalism in the coding you do. Visiting the website today and discovering what can only be called an amateurish error just got under my skin, because it is like a blatant reminder of what we've experienced for the past two years.

I will tone it down. I try not to let things get to me and I do in fact try to be constructive and helpful to others. I guess I just let this get to me too much. For that, I honestly apologize. So in the interests of being helpful, most people can fix this problem by simply clicking SHIFT+REFRESH.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-13-2012, 09:00 AM
The strange thing is that while it is a simple error to make and trivial to avoid you have to admit a LOT of professional developers make exactly that mistake. Heck a lot of the web frameworks that people use make it hard not to make that mistake.

I have dealt with "professional" developers that after 10 years they did not understand POST vs GET or even that standards exist for how html/css/js etc works.

At least this site does work in all the modern browsers they just have a caching issue which will slowly go away and look horrible in the meantime. I suspect if they just put version numbers/dates etc on their CSS files though that would immediately fix this problem along with all the images urls they use for the site theme.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpanda16 View Post
Thank you for your feedback on my post.

I know the Cryptic and PW web teams go through a ton of checks for things, but it is impossible to test on millions of possible configurations.

Player demographics for Free to Play games versus subscription based varies somewhat, so we try to explain things so that most audiences will be able to get the general idea, or at least guide them into the right direction to help fix their problem.

Most web dev for many websites test strictly for IE 8 and 9 (little bit of 7) and Firefox. Opera, Chrome, and Safari are often not the priority.

If Chrome isn't working for you, please try another browser if our suggestions aren't working.
Considering Chrome surpassed Firefox in December 2011 as the 2nd most used browser in the world, it'd be a very smart move to make sure it works on that. Especially since IE is used less by gamers than typical internet visitors.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrexianHero
Considering Chrome surpassed Firefox in December 2011 as the 2nd most used browser in the world, it'd be a very smart move to make sure it works on that. Especially since IE is used less by gamers than typical internet visitors.
I have to agree here... I work with websites (and drupal as a specialty) for a living, and developing for IE/FF only is not common practice in any company that respects itself here(hit me for this, but I can't see anyone calling themselves a webdeveloper and focusing only on IE and FF... No level of flaming or infractions is gonna change this).

If you want to hit a broad audience, you include both Chrome and Safari in your development, and consider Opera while doing it.
Ignoring thoose two browsers just cuts off way too many users.