Lt. Commander
# 1 Andorian Gender
01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
They're just male and female now. What happened to the mentions of zhen, shen, chan and thaan?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2012, 01:14 AM
I'd love to hear the reason for removing this. As if male and female isn't a thing most human beings with basic visual comprehension can distinguish by, oh, age 4.

"I think it's a female, it has breasts, but I dunno, her shoulders a smidge wide... Gee I wish they'd label this clearer."
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2012, 12:17 PM
As an avid Andorian player and fanI agree, they should go back to the 4-genders.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Well I'm glad at least a few people agree. I just think that the four genders was a defining aspect of Andorians, and at least helped push a non-human centric view of things into the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I admit to being a tad rusty on my Andorian culture, but...what's the issue? You've got two female genders and two male ones - outside observers wouldn't exactly be able to tell the difference unless they asked or something, and if I remember seeing the character creator correctly, it labels both male and female with both of their Andorian equivalents (basically mix and match). Ultimately the reason we only have two comes down to MMO homogenization, but I admit to being curious as to what exactly the distinctions are between the separate genders.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
If you recall it was only the species description which related the four genders. I suspect some player's were asking that the UI be modified to permit the player to actually choose from zhen, shen, chan or thaan. Despite two of the four would appear virtually identical. Which would mean the first screen for Character Creation UI couldn't remain generic across species.

Which, IMO, is exactly what should be done. Make it more Trek from the start and more fans appreciate the effort.

However, we will always be reminded that we share our computer game server with parents who don't want to explain broader gender concepts - even if just within a scifi setting - to their teen or pre-teen as the child makes his/her first STO character.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul
I admit to being a tad rusty on my Andorian culture, but...what's the issue?
The issue is that the UI used to say "Female (zhen, shen)" and "Male (___, ___)" (probably got those wrong). Now it doesn't, and just has Male & Female. There is no good reason for what is basically a step backwards.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
The issue is that the UI used to say "Female (zhen, shen)" and "Male (___, ___)" (probably got those wrong). Now it doesn't, and just has Male & Female. There is no good reason for what is basically a step backwards.
Oh, it IS gone. I do remember them being there...hmm, I wonder why they were removed?

The male genders are chan and thaan, BTW.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
I think they changed it because it wasn't canon.

"In non-canonical novels by Pocket Books, Andorians have four sexes: zhen, shen, chan, and thaan. In function and appearance, zhens and shens are largely female, and chans and thaans approximate males, with shens and chans the more androgynous of the pairings."

Bottom of page.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Andorian
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpost View Post
I think they changed it because it wasn't canon.

"In non-canonical novels by Pocket Books, Andorians have four sexes: zhen, shen, chan, and thaan. In function and appearance, zhens and shens are largely female, and chans and thaans approximate males, with shens and chans the more androgynous of the pairings."

Bottom of page.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Andorian
They use resources from novels all the time. The Luna class, for example, isn't canon in the hard sense, yet they included it. There's no reason why they couldn't use the gender terms.