Lt. Commander
# 1 Mk XI Borg Weapons not good?
01-13-2012, 05:28 AM
Today on my Gurumba ... i swapped out all the the Borg Mk XI energy weapons (kept my Quantum). I found my overall dps HIGHER then the ones I traded all those stupid marks on. The Dilithium Mk XI have a Acc and Dam x2 buff instead and I found that overall I punch harder then then Borg ones with the 7% chance of an extra 1k damage. If you already have both sets swap out your energy weapons and see. If you don't you might want to worry about the SETS first besides torpedos. This would have saved me 50 chips which would be another piece of the Mk XI ground or space set (10 each in 5 weapon slots).
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RontheDude View Post
Today on my Gurumba ... i swapped out all the the Borg Mk XI energy weapons (kept my Quantum). I found my overall dps HIGHER then the ones I traded all those stupid marks on. The Dilithium Mk XI have a Acc and Dam x2 buff instead and I found that overall I punch harder then then Borg ones with the 7% chance of an extra 1k damage. If you already have both sets swap out your energy weapons and see. If you don't you might want to worry about the SETS first besides torpedos. This would have saved me 50 chips which would be another piece of the Mk XI ground or space set (10 each in 5 weapon slots).
There's a 7.5% Chance of 1000 Damage per shot. That's +75 DPV, on average. For reference, DMG is +5 DPV.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
There's a 7.5% Chance of 1000 Damage per shot. That's +75 DPV, on average. For reference, DMG is +5 DPV.
Right on PAPER that's what it is but it procs randomly not on a linear scale right? So you MIGHT get lucky and get two or three Procs in before it dies or you MIGHT get unlucky and it doesn't at all.... or am I wrong in my understanding? Because if I am NOT (and I might be) wrong then it seems to me a steady rate of higher damage Every shot is better then lower damage with a change for more 7.5% of the time.... Plus your trading the Acc for the BORG so every shot is 10% more accurate so you miss less and or extra crit severity ... with those bonuses going on every time ..... or am I under or over thinking it?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RontheDude View Post
Right on PAPER that's what it is but it procs randomly not on a linear scale right? So you MIGHT get lucky and get two or three Procs in before it dies or you MIGHT get unlucky and it doesn't at all.... or am I wrong in my understanding? Because if I am NOT (and I might be) wrong then it seems to me a steady rate of higher damage Every shot is better then lower damage with a change for more 7.5% of the time.... Plus your trading the Acc for the BORG so every shot is 10% more accurate so you miss less and or extra crit severity ... with those bonuses going on every time ..... or am I under or over thinking it?
It procs statistically. Over an infinite number of shots, 7.5% of all shots will get the +1000. That doesn't mean out of *exactly* 1000 shots, 75 of them will have the proc. Only 40 of them could get. Or 100 of them could get it. Out of those 1000, there is a small chance that ALL of them procced.

And yes, percentages are linear. There is a 7.5% chance a shot gets the proc. That translates to an average of +75 DPV. If you're so afraid of percents and averages, why do you trust ACC so much? Its just a +%. When balancing games, the ultimate master of balance is Average damage. And [Borg] has an average damage of +75 per shot, which is to say, A LOT.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Why not gather some data, and be sure?

-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/stocombat/
-

(Source Forge)
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
It procs statistically. Over an infinite number of shots, 7.5% of all shots will get the +1000. That doesn't mean out of *exactly* 1000 shots, 75 of them will have the proc. Only 40 of them could get. Or 100 of them could get it. Out of those 1000, there is a small chance that ALL of them procced.

And yes, percentages are linear. There is a 7.5% chance a shot gets the proc. That translates to an average of +75 DPV. If you're so afraid of percents and averages, why do you trust ACC so much? Its just a +%. When balancing games, the ultimate master of balance is Average damage. And [Borg] has an average damage of +75 per shot, which is to say, A LOT.
Ok thanks I'm just trying to figure all this stuff out and it's not that I don't trust percentages I just wasn't grasping this concept. I was more of a reading comprehension/history guy in college. In my little redneck mind it seemed the extra acc all the time was better then a proc. I can't reply to two post in one message to the poster above this message thank you I downloaded that and will use that tool.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
I haven't done the exact math but comparing my MK XI VR DHC to the Borg versions i didn't think it was worth it to get the Borg versions...if i happen to have extra EDC than maybe, but first i'll get my turrets swapped for Borg ones.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
I haven't done the exact math but comparing my MK XI VR DHC to the Borg versions i didn't think it was worth it to get the Borg versions...if i happen to have extra EDC than maybe, but first i'll get my turrets swapped for Borg ones.
Use Rare Borg Salvage, the EDC are much better saved for the things only they are good for. Sets and DOFFS.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
Again, Borg adds an Average of +75 damage to each tick in weapons firing cycle. That's HUGE.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Again, Borg adds an Average of +75 damage to each tick in weapons firing cycle. That's HUGE.
Oh, then i guess i'll be switching over then. Thanks for the info.