Lt. Commander
# 41
01-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
Wow - way to not read the post just prior to yours. Sorry again. But it's NOT Cryptic's fault!
With all due respect, though. It doesnt detract from the fact that Europeans are routinely shafted upon and imposed upon the most. While, subscriptionally speaking, they pay almost double. Is it so had to distribute the burden in respect of this? At least to make it fairer to all? Just because Europeans may make up a significant minority of players doesnt mean its a okay to consistently rob us of a day of game time when maintenance is about to occur. Thanks for correcting me on the massively-point however. Yet, I think if our roles were reversed you would be equally unhappy with a set of circumstances that consistently imply we're second class subscribers. Its the way I feel, sorry.

Another example? Design the future Enterprise competition. Everyone outside of the U.S was prohibited from entering. Was something else offered for talented Europeans or anyone else? Ponder that for a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias-Welsh
With all due respect, though. It doesnt detract from the fact that Europeans are routinely shafted upon and imposed upon the most. While, subscriptionally speaking, they pay almost double. Is it so had to distribute the burden in respect of this? At least to make it fairer to all? Just because Europeans may make up a significant minority of players doesnt mean its a okay to consistently rob us of a day of game time when maintenance is about to occur. Thanks for correcting me on the massively-point however. Yet, I think if our roles were reversed you would be equally unhappy with a set of circumstances that consistently imply we're second class subscribers. Its the way I feel, sorry.

Another example? Design the future Enterprise competition. Everyone outside of the U.S was prohibited from entering. Was something else offered for talented Europeans or anyone else? Ponder that for a bit.
Yupo agreed! We get shafted at every turn, every event, every comp, subscriptions!
Wow i have been paying a sub for nealy 700 days thats nearly £230 or $352 to you Americans.
Why cant these things be done so that sometimes the states gets screwed and sometimes we get screwed, thats whats called being fair.

Although i kind of get the point about massively hosting i dont think it should be advertised on the front page for ALL to see when its obviously only relevent to a portion of the player base.

Also as far as i can see from the post this line says it all "In celebration of the launch, Massively will be joining Cryptic Studios"

That to me says they are joining cryptic in hosting it, so because cryptic hasnt got enough staff to do it themselves WE get screwed yet again. Missing out on prizes and what actually seems like decent events.

I mean even when cryptic post Maintenance logs they dont include any GMT time do they....NO
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzed View Post
Yupo agreed! We get shafted at every turn, every event, every comp, subscriptions!
Wow i have been paying a sub for nealy 700 days thats nearly £230 or $352 to you Americans.
Why cant these things be done so that sometimes the states gets screwed and sometimes we get screwed, thats whats called being fair.
Exactly, it's being called considerate of your player base. Why not have a rota of varying maintenance times to make it more fair? Do them at different timezones.. I'm inconvenienced somtimes, the Americans are sometimes, the Aussies sometimes. Hear what I'm saying?

Distribute it.

As for subs it's no secret that those in the E.U (Eurozone) and the U.K (I'm not sure about Austrlia's currency rate against the U.S Dollar) are worth in value twice that of an American. So in effect we pay a greater amount to support Cryptic (on paper at least, not counting contributions for cryptic points), but we're treated far more detrimentally.

I'm not saying this is on purpose, what I'm saying however; is that we're basically an afterthought to Cryptic/PW,

Quote:
Although i kind of get the point about massively hosting i dont think it should be advertised on the front page for ALL to see when its obviously only relevent to a portion of the player base.

Also as far as i can see from the post this line says it all "In celebration of the launch, Massively will be joining Cryptic Studios"
Well, exactly. But I don't really see this kind of thing changing any time soon.

In fact, I'm willing to bet this point will fall on deaf ears, to be honest as I'm sure its been made by other Europeans.

Which is why I'm cancelling my subscription before it renews, sadly. Shame because I actually love the game, and play it daily. I just don't want to be treated like an afterthought based on my location.

We're all star trek fans after all.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-14-2012, 04:13 AM
*Walks in*

Isn't January 17th the same day Congress... congregates and pretty much censors the internet?

*Walks out*
Lt. Commander
# 45 Dang it
01-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Well that bites... I'll be at work during the Launch Party... So much for the fun. Guess i'll have to play after work.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-14-2012, 05:58 AM
No thanks.

Jan. 17th is a day to mourn, not to celebrate.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Exactly, it's being called considerate of your player base. Why not have a rota of varying maintenance times to make it more fair? Do them at different timezones.. I'm inconvenienced somtimes, the Americans are sometimes, the Aussies sometimes. Hear what I'm saying?

Distribute it.

As for subs it's no secret that those in the E.U (Eurozone) and the U.K (I'm not sure about Austrlia's currency rate against the U.S Dollar) are worth in value twice that of an American. So in effect we pay a greater amount to support Cryptic (on paper at least, not counting contributions for cryptic points), but we're treated far more detrimentally.

I'm not saying this is on purpose, what I'm saying however; is that we're basically an afterthought to Cryptic/PW,

Well, exactly. But I don't really see this kind of thing changing any time soon.

In fact, I'm willing to bet this point will fall on deaf ears, to be honest as I'm sure its been made by other Europeans.

Which is why I'm cancelling my subscription before it renews, sadly. Shame because I actually love the game, and play it daily. I just don't want to be treated like an afterthought based on my location.

We're all star trek fans after all.
The downtime/maintenance windows are decided based off of a) the time they start getting their primary staff in office and b) The lowest number of users in game and c) Middle of the day (1pm) is not exactly prime time for any location as most adults are working. This has been said quite a few times before. Notice I said most as well. It sucks for some, everyone knows that and I'm a night person in general even though i'm in the same time zone as cryptic. But doing rotational maintenance windows would ignite a lot more hate than you think. Most MMO's however do downtimes based off their region, which is going to make someone mad.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:

wait a minute the design the enterprise contest was only for USA players?
Star Trek is suppose to involve getting along with the hole world acting as one.
This is not what Gene Roddenberry probably would have wanted.......
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShip
wait a minute the design the enterprise contest was only for USA players?
Star Trek is suppose to involve getting along with the hole world acting as one.
This is not what Gene Roddenberry probably would have wanted.......
Sadly, we, our legislators, and the lawyers, live in the present.

It is extremely difficult to run an international contest that awards prizes. And there were quite a few prizes in the contest, some with fairly significant taxable values.
  • Grand Prize: Custom, STO-painted Alienware M11x laptop; STO Collector’s Edition; STO Lifetime Membership; and a 3-D model of the winning design.
  • Second Prize: Alienware laptop (no custom paint job), STO Collector’s Edition and an STO Lifetime Membership.
  • Third Prize: STO Collector’s Edition, STO Lifetime Membership and an Intel Core i7-875k processor.
  • Fourth Prize: STO Collector’s Edition and an STO Lifetime Membership.
  • Twenty-one Honorable Mentions: Standard-edition copy of STO and a Star Online poster.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I really hope you have been keeping yourself hydrated.