Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
I think STO customization is "okay" but not "great." Every human male looks like every other human male in the STO universe. I don't like that.
I think you need to work with the Facial and Body sliders a little more. I have managed to make a number of Human males that look very different from each other. The devs have too. Just look at Scotty and Bones in the Devidian series. Both of those can be duplicated using STOs customization.

Lt. Commander
# 22
01-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
I think you need to work with the Facial and Body sliders a little more. I have managed to make a number of Human males that look very different from each other. The devs have too. Just look at Scotty and Bones in the Devidian series. Both of those can be duplicated using STOs customization.

Okay, let me rephrase...

Every attractive human male looks like every other attractive human male in the STO universe. I don't like that.

I know you can make them look "kind of different" but the facial and body sliders still work with the same human template. You really can't make them look all that different unless you give them stupid scars and eye patches and stuff like that.

If there is a Scotty and Bones and they look really different from each other and they were made with the customization tools, then maybe I'd be willing to change my mind. But I have played around with that feature a lot, and I don't feel like anyone looks all that different (while still looking normal and attractive).

I'm a very vain person. My character has to be pretty!
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Okay, let me rephrase...

Every attractive human male looks like every other attractive human male in the STO universe. I don't like that.

I know you can make them look "kind of different" but the facial and body sliders still work with the same human template. You really can't make them look all that different unless you give them stupid scars and eye patches and stuff like that.

If there is a Scotty and Bones and they look really different from each other and they were made with the customization tools, then maybe I'd be willing to change my mind. But I have played around with that feature a lot, and I don't feel like anyone looks all that different (while still looking normal).
Okay, some examples for you then?

Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.

And scars are not all that differentiate them. Need more? Let me know.

Lt. Commander
# 24
01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:

Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.

I looked at all of them and while I will agree that some look unique, at least half of them look the same to me (just with different hair colors or styles). It's all in the face. But I do like uniform_TOS_cadet1 and uniform_TOS_red, so I shall concede to your long list of links, lol...
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynShaufer
I own and played Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Universe Ambition of the Illuminus. All I saw new in that video from the character customization of Phantasy Star Universe was, extra clothing options. And maybe the over used boobies slider.

No, I think we are fine with what we have. Though, I wouldn't mind being able to make a Cast in STO.
It's more the PSO2 interface and arrangment of things that I think STO should adopt, not necessarily what features PS02 has per se.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:

Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.
Human male.

It is scary how all of these do tend to just vary by just a smidgen. I'm not sure what the answer is other than maybe Cryptic should include a greater variety of presets that have proportionate bodies, heads, hands, arms, legs, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
It is scary how all of these do tend to just vary by just a smidgen. I'm not sure what the answer is other than maybe Cryptic should include a greater variety of presets that have proportionate bodies, heads, hands, arms, legs, etc.
That's kind of what I've been saying. Think about the character customization when it's in "basic mode." One of the screens is for "variants." Well, it'd be better if those "variants" were actually each different human templates rather than just "randomized variations of one human template." When I'm on ESD, I just feel like I'm walking around a space station of clones.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-14-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd settle for a simple lock feature which I could apply to each field (color, height, ears) so that I could hit randomize and not fully randomize features I want to keep - or refine - without having to start from scratch.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
I looked at all of them and while I will agree that some look unique, at least half of them look the same to me (just with different hair colors or styles). It's all in the face. But I do like uniform_TOS_cadet1 and uniform_TOS_red, so I shall concede to your long list of links, lol...
What's needed for faces are more nose/eye styles, ie. a Humanoid 03, 04, etc. head type and more varieties of facial complexion that aren't dramatically aged but have lines in different places, baked in stubble, freckles, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-14-2012, 02:55 PM
I'll also add from experience playing around with setting a partial transparency overlay and tracing faces in STO that STO men have too much definition forced into their base complexion so women get more noticeable value from slider adjustments...

And, also, most real life men have at least one feature that is outside the ranges that the sliders allow for, causing custom alien men to look more diverse and believable. Seriously, instead of making a wacky alien, try making a realistic looking guy. Custom alien men look more real and diverse because of the variety.

And, as always, there's a HUGE lack of diversity if you want all of your men to have short hair (there's not a single canon haircut in the bunch... in particular, the absence of arrow shaped sideburns which Starfleet men are required to have if they don't wear a beard and they aren't bald), just as there's a lack of diversity if you want your women or Klingon men to have long hair.