Lt. Commander
# 1 why did my skills get blanked?
01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
i don't understand why all skills got blanked, and why i need to put points into the ground game. has there been any explanation for this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Nope none at all except for the mention of it in the many many posts saying it was going to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Before you get personally offended that you have to loose space skills for ground (apologies if you aren't going that way, it's a common thread right after the change went live) They upped the cap, lowered skill costs, and realigned the tiers slightly. Done correctly, if you're conservative ground side (you can go as low as an 85/15% split or as high as 75/25%), you'll loose a couple skill levels at the lower tiers, but actually end up ahead in the higher tiers. I lost some filler skills I didn't really care much about, gained in tiers 4 and 5, and only actually lost in tier 3, but they're shifted around a couple skills in tactical and science so while I lost 5 skill levels, I wanted 6 less than I did before.

Even if you completely avoided ground skills before, you won't loose much in space now if you take the lower track (It helps greatly to pack ground points into tiers 1-3, so ALL your points are free for space when you unlock tier 5), and if you're creative and keep in mind the sharp fall in benefit from points 7-9 in any skill, you can actually come with a net gain.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymo0829 View Post
i don't understand why all skills got blanked, and why i need to put points into the ground game. has there been any explanation for this?
There was a Skill Tree revamp, (which means that many of the skill points you had were in skills that no longer exist) Do you really want to have points in Skills that no longer exist?

And there were too many complaints about people going Fleet actions who could only serve as a team handicap in ground action, so there is now a minimum amount of points dedicated to ground skills, so you won't be completely useless in ground action...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
<snip>

Even if you completely avoided ground skills before, you won't loose much in space now if you take the lower track (It helps greatly to pack ground points into tiers 1-3, so ALL your points are free for space when you unlock tier 5), and if you're creative and keep in mind the sharp fall in benefit from points 7-9 in any skill, you can actually come with a net gain.
Can you give an arithmaphobe an idea of how much that whould be for ground? Or is there apost you can direct me to? Thanks!