Lt. Commander
Let's face it, most of the weapons in this game for energy based weapons are very poor. Currently Anit-Proton weapons are the best energy weapons to use at this time. The other weapon types need to be brought to spec to make them competitve against Anti-Proton. That's all.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I'd call phasers the 'best' actually. The only argument I could see myself making for AP over phaser would be if you're a tac.

I agree that plasma, tetryon, and polaron (maybe disruptor too) are weak in comparison though and could use a bit of love. Maybe a more strongly scaling element to their debuffs?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Trainor
I'd call phasers the 'best' actually. The only argument I could see myself making for AP over phaser would be if you're a tac.

I agree that plasma, tetryon, and polaron (maybe disruptor too) are weak in comparison though and could use a bit of love. Maybe a more strongly scaling element to their debuffs?
Most have resists to phaser though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2012, 05:20 PM
You are right, of course (I don't have them <-- noob), but you can't resist an engine offline proc.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Ap is the best? lol?

You mean the one you can't get blue consoles for outside of the exchange is the best?

No, free pre nerf Viral Matrix weapons... also known as phasers have everything beat hands down in this game. Their proc is ridiculous.

Out of all the weapons though, plasma sucks the most especially post Maco/honor guard.

Polaron and Tetryon sure kind of look nice but don't really have a proc to speak of. (but they look so good it makes up for it)

Energy Weapons over all though, aren't really far enough apart (phasers aside) to justify a balance pass.

Torps on the other hand need a massive rework, as presently there are only two torps worth fielding. Photon, and Quantum. Nothing else is worth the weapon slot.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-14-2012, 04:54 AM
plasma energy weapons dont cause a DOT anymore, they managed to make their proc even crappier. it now just has a chance to deal extra damage, not extra damage based on how hard you hit, but exactly the extra damage the tool tip shows. it at least scales and increases damage every tier, unlike tetryons proc. tetryon's extra damage to shields is the same at tier 6 through tier 12, it gets less effective as you advance!

i raised the concern with all the plasma defense in the anti borg equipment and in 4 of the 6 special sets in the stf set feedback thread, i think that resulted in the defense against plasma lowered ever so, but that problem still remains. borg energy weapons should be some unique weapon, player use plasma should be left out of all that built in defense. same problem with the large polaron defense with the breen set.

there is plenty of canon precedent for the effect of energy types doing specific thing, how cryptic came up with the current procs is beyond me. they also ignore the fact that arrays are an exclusive and unique delivery system for only phasers, and that the length and size of the array acts as a multiplier to how powerful each shot can be. every energy type should not be fired from arrays, gun barrels/cannons, ball turrets and banks are acceptable delivery types.

phasers- subsystems being disabled is the result of targeting, and starfleets pacifist tactics, not something phasers are especially good at. what phasers have been observed doing is a lingering disintegration of the hull around the impact site after a weapons impact. thats cause by the nadian particles disrupting the nucular bonds of all the mater around the impact site. a proc could be a chance to do double damage to hull hits.

disrupters- disrupters are basically zero finesse blunt force weapons designed to excite the molecular bonds of targets until they break apart, doing as much damage as possible. as far as i can tell its raw plasma mixed with antimater shot out of a cannon. their current proc isn't bad, and the debuff could be explained as a result of all the excited molecular bonds softening your target. the debuff seems hardly noticeable though, might need increasing, or applied to shields as well.

plasma- its kind of odd that there's a weapon that shoots raw plasma, plasma is usually used as a medium to transport incredible amounts of energy, but dissipates as soon as it leaves its magnetically compressed environment. plasma weapons are proboly a magnetically jacketed stream of pure drive plasma. considering plasma should dissipate on impact, a DOT wouldn't really happen. but the lingering affect of fire damage is just to tempting not to try to link with plasma. i already mentioned the change they made to plasma, they should proboly change it back to a dot, but program it better theis time. the dot should last 5 seconds and do the same amount of damage over that time that the initial hit did. maybe give it a higher proc chance then normal.

tetryon- tetryon damaging shields more is fine, there's little example of tetryon specifically doing something uniquely damaging. tetryons bombarded on an area disabled all near by energy weapons, parhaps a proc that drains weapons energy. if the shield damaing proc is kept, it needs a major buff. like a chance to do double damage to shield hits

polaron- they did 1 thing unmistakably well, penetrate shields. i know there was a problem with antiprotons doing this and it being too overpowered, so it should be done differentially this time. a chance for a shot to completely penetrate shields, not many shots penetrating a little.

antiproton- this i would just leave as is i guess. maybe buff their stats a bit if the other energy types get too good.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-14-2012, 02:41 PM
I have often wondered why the Phasers have the System Offline Proc? Its not as if its the Phase ritself that brings the system offline but the accuracy of the shot and the Accuracy of Phaser technology that enabled the Federation to do this with some ease in the shows.
Even Disruptors can brings a system offline in canon, though they are very poor at it as proven by Star Trek 3.

Otherwise, I would agree the Tetryons, Polarons and Plasma weapons still seem to be in the shaows to the Anti-Protons high damage and the Phasers psuedo viral matrix proc.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-14-2012, 09:42 PM
There's no reason to use anything but phasers or disruptors.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
Ap is the best? lol?

You mean the one you can't get blue consoles for outside of the exchange is the best?

No, free pre nerf Viral Matrix weapons... also known as phasers have everything beat hands down in this game. Their proc is ridiculous.

Out of all the weapons though, plasma sucks the most especially post Maco/honor guard.

Polaron and Tetryon sure kind of look nice but don't really have a proc to speak of. (but they look so good it makes up for it)

Energy Weapons over all though, aren't really far enough apart (phasers aside) to justify a balance pass.

Torps on the other hand need a massive rework, as presently there are only two torps worth fielding. Photon, and Quantum. Nothing else is worth the weapon slot.

Mav you can craft the the AP console now
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-15-2012, 05:57 AM
Shh...it's a secret...only few know...