Lt. Commander
# 1 spelling issues
01-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Just spent ages onthe exchange wondering why i couldn't find any Armour.

Please Cryptic realise that most of the known world use actual English instead of American English.

*Flame war approaching*
*Dives for cover*
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecat69

Please Cryptic realise that most of the known world use actual English instead of American English.

*Flame war approaching*
*Dives for cover*
Compared to a lot of other things needed in this game, this seems to be a pretty big nit-pick. Especially considering that the development staff is American.

I certainly wouldn't come to England or play a game from the UK and make a similar complaint.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Pip pip, Cheerio, wot? Up the Apples n' Pears.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:

*Flame war approaching*
*Dives for cover*
Yeah... There's another word for the last two things you said, but we're not supposed to call anyone that. It's an American game company. Of course it's going to use American English. And really, I'm fairly certain most of the "known world" knows how to spell "armor." Anyway, be happy. After all, the alternative is to have it in Chinese.

Edit: Although I'll happily add that there's nothing wrong with asking for localization features.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:

*Flame war approaching*
*Dives for cover*
Here's an idea - why not spell 'armor' the way you see it in-game when searching on the exchange, mmmm?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2012, 03:21 PM
I want the game to use Texan English ya'll cause I am from Texas and I want Cryptic to make a version just for me.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by machocyclone View Post
I want the game to use Texan English ya'll cause I am from Texas and I want Cryptic to make a version just for me.
Yeah buddy, where dem loco-zations ya'll done did promise us whay back when? I swear I dun did read sumwheres ya'lls was gone git us sum West Virginny-speak so's ma and pa kin understand wut them thar movin' pictures is sayin'. Get-r-done!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
Yeah buddy, where dem loco-zations ya'll done did promise us whay back when? I swear I dun did read sumwheres ya'lls was gone git us sum West Virginny-speak so's ma and pa kin understand wut them thar movin' pictures is sayin'. Get-r-done!
Okay. The last "sentence" made this funny. Otherwise, I might have been offended. West Virginia is right next to Kentucky, after all. Although I can happily claim to be from Michigan and not actually native to this state. But still, I've lived here long enough to really respect the people who are from here, however they might happen to speak. I'm going to assume you're from WV because there's just no way you could have strung that entire paragraph together without some actual reference. Although I don't think they actually say "ma" and "pa" -- I'm pretty sure it's "mammy" and "papi."
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
Okay. The last "sentence" made this funny. Otherwise, I might have been offended. West Virginia is right next to Kentucky, after all. Although I can happily claim to be from Michigan and not actually native to this state. But still, I've lived here long enough to really respect the people who are from here, however they might happen to speak. I'm going to assume you're from WV because there's just no way you could have strung that entire paragraph together without some actual reference. Although I don't think they actually say "ma" and "pa" -- I'm pretty sure it's "mammy" and "papi."
I'm from Virginia, get into West Virginia quite often, and can assure you, 'ma' and 'pa' are still very much a part of the active vernacular in both states.

The area is also rife with Jerry Springer-style dialects, but those don't translate into writing quite as easily. Just imagine 'daddy' pronounced with an 'h' thrown into it randomly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
I'm from Virginia, get into West Virginia quite often, and can assure you, 'ma' and 'pa' are still very much a part of the active vernacular in both states.
I don't know how I missed that. I swear, I looked, lol... Maybe it's a Kentucky thing, then. Someone here said "papi" to me when talking about some family issues, and I was like, "what?" They told me it means "grandfather." I get a kick out of some of the things I hear that require explaining! (And you didn't offend me with your "goofy" comment; I took it light-heartedly.)