Lt. Commander
# 11
01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Bran Flakes, I don't know if you stalk the PvE forums or not, and Gozer has stopped posting (so we don't know where his views fall on this), so I'm gonna direct you to two threads.

The Gist is, yes we know Mk XII is supposed to be rare. We know its supposed to take some time. We're cool with that. What we're not cool with is the fact there's no guarantee against bad luck. We don't want to grind and grind and grind and see absolutely no reward. We want better drop rates (ideally) and a secondary mechanic (realistically) to obtain Mk XII.

I don't think this is too much to ask. I'm more than willing to play lots of games and contribute to the healthy population of STFs and help out others in their quests to conquer them as well. I just want guarantees on my rewards, not some harsh lottery.
I wholeheartedy agree with the OP. I don't mind really having to work for the Mk XII gear, but if the RNG just doesn't roll in my favor, then I kinda get screwed. I don't like getting screwed by a video game :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-16-2012, 06:00 PM
only because god doesn't answer your prayers doesn't mean that he isn't listening

i don't believe in god either...
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Bran Flakes, I don't know if you stalk the PvE forums or not, and Gozer has stopped posting (so we don't know where his views fall on this), so I'm gonna direct you to two threads.

The Gist is, yes we know Mk XII is supposed to be rare. We know its supposed to take some time. We're cool with that. What we're not cool with is the fact there's no guarantee against bad luck. We don't want to grind and grind and grind and see absolutely no reward. We want better drop rates (ideally) and a secondary mechanic (realistically) to obtain Mk XII.

I don't think this is too much to ask. I'm more than willing to play lots of games and contribute to the healthy population of STFs and help out others in their quests to conquer them as well. I just want guarantees on my rewards, not some harsh lottery.
Just so I am clear on what you are saying ..

You know its supposed to be rare
You know its suppose to take time to get
and you are cool with that

but ...

You are not cool with it being rare
You are not cool with it taking time to get

in addition you are also not cool with bad luck, something that no one anywhere has control over by the way, and would like the drop rates to improve to such a degree as to be 100% guaranteed in exchange for your word that you will not stop playing STFs because you like to help people.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Gozer, and the rest of the team, are still watching those forums, and always will Just because they have not responded to something does not mean that they have not seen it -- the team has been really busy with F2P launching and working on the new FE.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Fixed it for you.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain Brown
Fixed it for you.
What did you "fix"?
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobogon

but ...

in addition you are also not cool with bad luck, something that no one anywhere has control over by the way, and would like the drop rates to improve to such a degree as to be 100% guaranteed in exchange for your word that you will not stop playing STFs because you like to help people.
I think his point is that as of right now, having the Mk XII set doesn't really signify anything other than you are lucky. Basically the most prestigious gear in the game is obtained by pure luck and not skill.

But perhaps what the Mk XII set should signify is that you are a high level elite player who has a lot of experience playing Elite STFs (by virtue of having played X Elite STFs and got the items).

Also, that the motivation to even attempt grinding elite STFs is significantly reduced when there is no clear goal in sight, as compared to say getting the Mk XI set which takes a long time but at least you can quantitatively measure your progress, and there is at least a guaranteed endpoint. And having people not even bothering to try for the elite gear due to stigma is bad for Cryptic since it sours them (and their respective wallets) from the game as a whole.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Quote:

but ...

But it Doesn't Take time to get, If you're lucky. Or it may never happen at all If you're unlucky. Rarity can be tied to a High PEDC cost. Some people will probably say "Meh, not worth my time" (and yes, people do do that). But a Clear goal is infinitely superior to straight luck.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-16-2012, 06:59 PM
So, I have to agree with this assessment,the Mark XII gear is gated for those who want some realistic and challenging gameplay. Your ship break and you have to fix it, your arms broken and you have to heal it... this is not for all people and its kinda stupid to limit this gear to the hardcore.

I have played almost 200 STFs at this point and I am still trying to get all the Mark XI gear (space AND ground) then if I want the borg DOFFS I have to keep grinding.

There needs to be another way, to get Mark XII gear, maybe not EDCs but make it XX amount of rare borg salvage, or make the prototype salvage drop in all stfs and not just elite. The mechanism to make this worth it is just to make more edcs drop in elites, instead of 2, make it 3 or 4 so its really worth the effort, because honestly when you hear about someone running 200 elites and not having the great gear thats also pretty damn retarded.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:

but ...

While I can't speak for anyone else, personally I'm fine with it being rare, and taking time. I just wish it wasn't relegated entirely to STFs. While I think STFs should much more readily offer rewards, I dislike that almost the entirety of new gear that we've seen added in the last ten months has been made STF-exclusive and entirely Bind-on-Pickup.

I wish we could get borg salvage drops anywhere there are borg (though at a lower drop rate), and that it would occasionally reward for a successful PvP match, and that you could buy them for Dilithium (which would also help inflate the value of Dilithium for the Dilithium/CPoint Exchange). While I'm fine with it being rare, and it taking time... I just wish you didn't have to grind the same missions over and over to get it. Not everyone likes STFs. Most people don't like them enough to grind them ad nauseam.

The "system of distribution" they've set up is just... aggravating. This is a game without much content, and they've decided to highlight that by focusing the most substantive new rewards we've seen in almost a year on a tiny portion of that already tiny pool of content.

Not everyone likes crafting, probably explaining why the Aegis Set is Bind-on-EQUIP and you can get it on the Exchange with credits you got by doing whatever content you actually enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I wish we could get borg salvage drops anywhere there are borg (though at a lower drop rate), and that it would occasionally reward for a successful PvP match, and that you could buy them for Dilithium (which would also help inflate the value of Dilithium for the Dilithium/CPoint Exchange). While I'm fine with it being rare, and it taking time... I just wish you didn't have to grind the same missions over and over to get it. Not everyone likes STFs. Most people don't like them enough to grind them ad nauseam.
Ditto! Couldn't have said it better.