Lt. Commander
# 1 A few C-Store suggestions
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
After having come back to STO after a spin around the MMO sphere, I have a few suggestions I'd like to make regarding the C-Store.

The first has to do with ship skins. Some of the "X.5" ships in the C-Store come with some nice skins. For example, I really like the Bellerophon class ship. However, I'm only interested in the skin and not the console and other stats it comes with. I would mainly like the skin for my VA Intrepid retrofit. However, I cannot justify spending 1,200 CP on one ship skin. I would like to see two options for ships like this. One option for the skin only that matches the price of the other ship skins and the full ship with the consoles etc. at it's normal price. This way those who only want the skin can pick that up and those who want the full package are free to purchase that as well.

The second has to do with Cryptic Points themselves. I'd like to see the cost values evened out a bit. For example, I've been playing DCUO on the side. SOE sells their station cash points for $1=100 points. It's very easy to gauge how much you need to spend for any item. If an item costs 400 points, I know it's going to cost me $4. CP however cost $6.25 per 500 points. I admit this is more of a personal annoyance, but I'd like to easily gauge how much something is going to cost me rather than have to look up how much points cost every time I consider buying something. If something similar could be done, where 500 CP = $5, that would be amazing.

The third and last has to do with CP sales. In all honesty, the 20% off sales aren't all that impressive. As mentioned before, I play DCUO on the side. SOE has bonus station cash days on rare occasions where if you buy points, you get double or even triple the points. So if you spend $10, you get $20-$30 in points. At first this might seem like a bad idea, but I can tell you that I watched people spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars during this period. They spent more money on station cash than a STO lifetime sub costs. I'm talking some people spending around $400-$800. I watched people literally throw money at SOE in such amounts that I just sat there with my mouth open. Keep in mind that a good deal of these were people who did NOT sub to the game. They were F2P players. Heck, even I got in on that and spent $15 for some bonus points. I can tell you right now that is so much more of an incentive to buy CP than a 20% off sale could ever be. I still can't get over how much people spent at that time. It was nuts.

These are just a few suggestions I have and think Cryptic could benefit from after having gone around and checked out some other F2P MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Gold player perk idea
01-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I noticed that many of the items that could be purchased from the C-Store are now character unlock, that were formerly account-wide unlocks, such as ships, special bridge officers, and things like that. Additionally, the prices went up for most of these things, making it that much more expensive for paying subscribers. So, after thinking long and hard, I have a couple ideas for this situation that I'd like to think would be appealing for Gold (paid / lifetime subscription) players.

*Gold Player Perks*
> A continuous 50% discount on EVERYTHING in the C-Store.
> Purchasing ships, unique BOffs, unique tribbles, extra ship, BOff, DOff, bank, and inventory slots applies these to the entire account and not just per character.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crio_Ijoula
I noticed that many of the items that could be purchased from the C-Store are now character unlock, that were formerly account-wide unlocks, such as ships, special bridge officers, and things like that. Additionally, the prices went up for most of these things, making it that much more expensive for paying subscribers. So, after thinking long and hard, I have a couple ideas for this situation that I'd like to think would be appealing for Gold (paid / lifetime subscription) players.

*Gold Player Perks*
> A continuous 50% discount on EVERYTHING in the C-Store.
> Purchasing ships, unique BOffs, unique tribbles, extra ship, BOff, DOff, bank, and inventory slots applies these to the entire account and not just per character.
Some ships are now character unlock? I guess was right to be done with the C-Store now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't know if that's truly the case, but given the wording on the boxes that you unpack when buying, I am wondering if that's what's trying to happen...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I used to play Perfect World (yes owned by the same people that now own STO) and when you bought points for their store the more you spent the more you got (for instance, and these numbers are made up because I don't remember the actual numbers, if you spent $20 for 2000 points or you could spend $40 and get 4500 points). I wonder if STO will start doing that now that they are owned by PWE.