Lt. Commander
I've upgraded my ship about three times since I've gotten the Efficient Impulse Engines. While the rest of my ship is decked out in Captain level purples, I'm still on this Lt. Cmdr level impulse engine simply because it seems everything I've come across just doesn't compete. I'm wondering if I should just keep them all the way up to Rear Admiral levels.

When I look at engine upgrades, I look for speed and turning rate. Every engine I've seen so far either has the same turn rate or a +1 difference which honestly doesn't seem like it would do anything. As far as flight speed goes, does anyone have any calculations on just how much faster I'll be going if I upgrade from +9.9 to 11? Again, it doesn't seem like much. It seems I can outrun anything I come across in PvE at full impulse anyways...

I'm not exactly a min-maxxer number cruncher, but am I really holding myself back a lot by keeping this low level engine? Or should I just not worry about upgrades and rerun the mission to get a Captain level version?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Long answer made simple, get the Breen set.

That will last you to Admiral. At Rear Admiral, you will be able to get the Aegis set.

Aegis is currently among the best sets in the game with the nerf of the Borg set.

With Aegis, you can make the push for MACO/Omega/Honor Guard.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Breen set is definitely but not actually available at Captain level anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
until then you can rerun the mission "past imperfect" and get a level appropriate version of the efficient impulse engine if you like it. The rewards scale now with the new season.