Lt. Commander
# 111
01-16-2012, 09:27 AM
They didnt combine on purpose with films coming out, though it would seem so, because for TOS and TNG series and films the same crews were used. It seems Foster has been busy with this for the past years, going back to 2006. A new series is bound to pop up every ten years at least, and that should be right, about ten years ago Enterprise was introduced. Star Trek is as big as a cult, and it will never disappear. It is the emodyment of what we all want the world to be: a Utopia, where all can live together in peace *Imagine by John Lennon playing in the background*
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Come on, we were all idiots as teenagers. I'm sure Wesley matured as he aged. He could have turned into an awesome officer for all we know.
He was a personifacation of the ships deflector.

Can't solve a problem? Tie it into the deflector.
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selwyn
They didnt combine on purpose with films coming out, though it would seem so, because for TOS and TNG series and films the same crews were used.
What? No, they weren't, unless you mean TNG series -> TNG films.

At most you got TOS movies while TNG was on (but only a couple). Plus, all were in the same "universe."

You WON'T get a JJ-verse TV series while JJ-verse movies are being made; it's as simple as that.

Quote:
It seems Foster has been busy with this for the past years, going back to 2006.
Which is largely irrelevant. Someone can develop and pitch something whenever they like. I know a couple of guys in the industry; I could probably get a pitch meeting scheduled. Doesn't mean some network is about to launch my show.

Quote:
A new series is bound to pop up every ten years at least,
Why? Near as I can tell this is based on nothing at all.
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Why? Near as I can tell this is based on nothing at all.
He's probably going by the 5 series that we've had over the last 40 years. But, that would assume that the trend of scifi being popular was still going. The only scifi tv I've seen over the last few years has been either very emo or slapstick, making me think scifi is hibernating. Heck, even Spock is emo now.
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-16-2012, 10:05 AM
There is way too much negativity over the joker's role in batman vs tom cruise, not enough cowbell.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
He's probably going by the 5 series that we've had over the last 40 years.
Well that would be silly; we got one series in the late 60s, then NOTHING until the mid-late 80s, then four series clumped together.

Quote:
But, that would assume that the trend of scifi being popular was still going.
I'm not convinced that sf was ever popular on network TV. The closest we come is more "mainstream" shows with sf elements, but out-and-out sf? Can't think of a single example that actually pulled in ratings.
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Well that would be silly; we got one series in the late 60s, then NOTHING until the mid-late 80s, then four series clumped together.

I'm not convinced that sf was ever popular on network TV. The closest we come is more "mainstream" shows with sf elements, but out-and-out sf? Can't think of a single example that actually pulled in ratings.
This is true. Stargate gathered itself a loyal fanbase, but was never really considered a "hit."
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losbullitt View Post
Maybe the new series can have a little of Caprica, BSG, TNG, DS9 and Desperate Housewives all into one, featuring guest roles by:
Gordon Ramsey as Chef
Sorry. Andorian Ramsey is already a captain in our fleet, the UFP Catering Corps
Lt. Commander
# 119
01-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojo86 View Post
This is true. Stargate gathered itself a loyal fanbase, but was never really considered a "hit."
Several sf shows get loyal fanbases; there's no question of that. Unfortunately they tend to be a bit small.

SyFy admitted once that it was having problems getting BSG to break even, but it was getting so much critical acclaim that they kept with it. And that's not network TV; that's SyFy.

Of course we know about shows like Firefly, etc. But the only real "surviving" sf shows on network TV I can think of are not pure sf shows. Example: X-Files, which was really a cop show with sf elements. Sure, there were aliens and conspiracies and all that, but it was still the FBI, set in the current year, taking place in normal locations, etc.

Voyager did OK, but (A) not great, and (B) it was on a brand-new network (a network, incidentally, that also owned the show). In any other environment, it would not have lasted (see Star Trek: Enterprise for an example). And we're talking the #6 network (UPN). On a major network it would've been worst.

That's not even mentioning the various projects by Braga and others that die after 2-3 episodes

I love sf, but I'm realistic about its popularity.
Lt. Commander
# 120
01-16-2012, 11:07 AM
I miss the new Flash Gordon series that disappeared almost instantly.