Lt. Commander
# 121
01-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Several sf shows get loyal fanbases; there's no question of that. Unfortunately they tend to be a bit small.

SyFy admitted once that it was having problems getting BSG to break even, but it was getting so much critical acclaim that they kept with it. And that's not network TV; that's SyFy.

Of course we know about shows like Firefly, etc. But the only real "surviving" sf shows on network TV I can think of are not pure sf shows. Example: X-Files, which was really a cop show with sf elements. Sure, there were aliens and conspiracies and all that, but it was still the FBI, set in the current year, taking place in normal locations, etc.

Voyager did OK, but (A) not great, and (B) it was on a brand-new network (a network, incidentally, that also owned the show). In any other environment, it would not have lasted (see Star Trek: Enterprise for an example). And we're talking the #6 network (UPN). On a major network it would've been worst.

That's not even mentioning the various projects by Braga and others that die after 2-3 episodes

I love sf, but I'm realistic about its popularity.
Only geniuses watch sci-fi, because they get it.

Geniuses like us are outnumbered by those who would rather watch American Idol.

Therefore the fanbases are small because we are outweighed by the stupid people...

This pearl of wisdom just came from my drunken flat mate who gets rather philosophical after one too many glasses of wine.
Lt. Commander
# 122
01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
But if it's handled in a Dollhouse/Sarah Connor Chronicles/Caprica/Alias/Fringe kind of way, you could have quality but you risk being too niche.
My only worry about it being handled like these is that the first 3 were cancelled very quickly, and the last one is just hanging on. ..... Also don't Alias and Fringe have a JJ connection?

I'm thinking a mix between Voyager and BSG would be good ... A lost ship trying to get home but no reset button each week ......
Lt. Commander
# 123
01-16-2012, 02:25 PM
na, I think the new series should not be a doom and gloom series, it should go back to its roots. I like this pitch and hope soemthinglike this starts. Hopefull ont he enterprise e with a new crew. Or another sovereing class, I still feel there is alot we don't know about the ship itself. There is still alot of uncharted space to explore.
Lt. Commander
# 124
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Sorry for double posting. Do you guys think they should use the new enterprise f in a new series set in the primeverse?
Lt. Commander
# 125
01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Sorry for double posting. Do you guys think they should use the new enterprise f in a new series set in the primeverse?
The 1701-F is for STO only.
Lt. Commander
# 126
01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
The 1701-F is for STO only.
some people have been saying it is canon now since it is on the star trek website. I know it isn't since sto is soft canon, right.
Lt. Commander
# 127
01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
some people have been saying it is canon now since it is on the star trek website. I know it isn't since sto is soft canon, right.
Bingo. Unless the 1701-F does make it onto the big or small screen, it is soft canon. CBS has told Cryptic not to generate a fate for the 1701-E. STO can have it's 'F' but they are to leave the fate of the 'E's' crew alone for the foreseeable future.
Lt. Commander
# 128
01-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Bingo. Unless the 1701-F does make it onto the big or small screen, it is soft canon. CBS has told Cryptic not to generate a fate for the 1701-E. STO can have it's 'F' but they are to leave the fate of the 'E's' crew alone for the foreseeable future.
that is one of the things I don't under stand, it has been 9 years now since nemesis came out, if they are not going to retire the E, that could mean one thing, they maybe planning a new series or movie with the E.
Lt. Commander
# 129
01-17-2012, 02:59 PM
No more Enterprises or Voyager-type scripts, please. New ship, new plotline, keep the same races if you must. Surely there's enough canon races to go around.

The TNG crew is too old for a new movie, so E can probably live on either in books or as another Reboot film by David Fincher or something. Chuck Palahniuk can write it.
Lt. Commander
# 130
01-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senechall
No more Enterprises or Voyager-type scripts, please. New ship, new plotline, keep the same races if you must. Surely there's enough canon races to go around.

The TNG crew is too old for a new movie, so E can probably live on either in books or as another Reboot film by David Fincher or something. Chuck Palahniuk can write it.
the crew yes, but they can replace the crew with a new and younger crew, the ship is fine, and they oldder cast can make guest appearances.