Lt. Commander
# 31
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviKerensky View Post
According to the man himself, Seth Macfarlane is trying to reincarnate Star Trek. He says it's one of his biggest project proposals, though he hasn't started it yet. I look forward to his results with excitement.

Try the Big Bang Theory.
big bang theory is one of my favs, they could be in the new star trek series! Maybe take over enterprise e after everyone retires or moves on to other things.
Lt. Commander
# 32
I like Titan - that's truly going into the unknown. That is what was so appealing about TNG for the most part - the unknown, much like the early explorers. Picard was even known to mention sailing and exploring from time to time. Titan, lost in (small or large magellanic cloud), instead of trying to get home, spend a couple of years studying... as that's what the Titan was designed for.
Lt. Commander
# 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I'm kind of scared of going too far into future trek. The Ent J does nothing for me, and doesn't feel like Trek to me. I understand the necessity of progressing through time, but whatever it is, still has to be easily recognizable as Trek.
If you do, you're stuck with some gimmick things to keep it grounded, such as a godlike enemy, a complete collapse of galactic civilization as a technological reset, or people from that era trapped/stranded/cut off somehow.

The problem there is that you have heavy risks with all of those.

I mean, you could have Q show up in the first episode and downgrade all the tech. You could have that galactic collapse but it seems un-Roddenberry-like unless you're visiting a point 200 years afterwards when people are starting to recover.

My inkling remains to do something like have a new Gary Seven show but with lots of familiar Trek elements sewn in, which risks being a repeat of Enterprise... But if it's handled in a Dollhouse/Sarah Connor Chronicles/Caprica/Alias/Fringe kind of way, you could have quality but you risk being too niche.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I like the idea of following the Titan for a show. That could be cool.

Or Wil Wheaton reprises his role as the now Captain Crusher in charge of the Enterprise F! YEAH!
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
There are two major red flags they'd have to address when planning a new series. Well three actually, but the third one is slightly less red, more of an off orange.
  • How to differentiate it from the JJ-universe, so as to not confuse the new audience that the new films brought in, while still incorporating them.
  • How to frame it so that it moves forward, but doesn't interfere with either STO's storyline (for anything in the future) or any other series (for anything in the past). Yes, STO is soft-canon, but hopefully CBS is smart enough not to completely invalidate the experience of STO.
  • How not to repeat ENT's first two seasons. Granted, there were a few good episodes in those two seasons, but it was mostly stumbling around trying to figure what ENT was going to be about, or repeating what previous Trek incarnations did.

There's also the huge amount of funding and resources that CBS would have to funnel into producing a new Trek, which I'm not sure they're ready to commit to.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
I'm kind of scared of going too far into future trek. The Ent J does nothing for me, and doesn't feel like Trek to me. I understand the necessity of progressing through time, but whatever it is, still has to be easily recognizable as Trek.
As long as the ship is called Enterprise, it will be Star Trek, no matter what century it is set in.

Enterprise and Star Trek go hand-in-hand, so any issues with it not being recognisable will be moot.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Quote:

Or Wil Wheaton reprises his role as the now Captain Crusher in charge of the Enterprise F! YEAH!
As long as Crusher dies horribly in the opening credits, it's fine by me! Maybe as he falls from the fatal phaser blast he accidentally shoots and kills Justin Bieber too, therefore solving two of the galaxy's greatest problems.

The entire show from that point forward can be a whodunnit.

Star Trek: Who Killed Wesley Crusher?
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nPoon
[list][*]How to frame it so that it moves forward, but doesn't interfere with either STO's storyline (for anything in the future) or any other series (for anything in the past). Yes, STO is soft-canon, but hopefully CBS is smart enough not to completely invalidate the experience of STO.
There's not much chance they'd actually care about this. I'd say that the chances STO gets respected in a new series are 725 to 1.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:

You want the Enterprise-F to be destroyed? But it's so pretty...

But yea, putting Wesley in charge would be like allowing a Borg to stand next to you. You're doomed.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojo86 View Post
As long as Crusher dies horribly in the opening credits, it's fine by me! Maybe as he falls from the fatal phaser blast he accidentally shoots and kills Justin Bieber too, therefore solving two of the galaxy's greatest problems.

The entire show from that point forward can be a whodunnit.

Star Trek: Who Killed Wesley Crusher?
You laugh but I still think it would be a huge coup for Cryptic (and something you'd get Wil Wheaton to play along with) if we had a fight where we get to kill Mirror Wesley or an Undine Wesley impersonator.

I personally see Mirror Wesley as intriguing, in that it's quite probable that Picard killed his father and had relations with his mother... and he's a boy genius who probably grew up in slavery or rebel camps.

So, the way I see it, Mirror Wesley would probably be this cackjling hermit who is one part Hamlet, one part Luke Skywalker, and one part GladOS from Portal.

I'd really dig an STF that's a giant death trap with Wil Wheaton going over the top with taunts as we attempt to solve his ingenuous puzzles and death traps, culminating in a fight where we take him out.

Been sayin' it forever: get us Mirror Wesley in game. :-)