Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11 Cool down
01-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I'm sorry, would you like to pretend I'm wrong when I'm not, and that your post applied when it didn't?

This person is talking about their morality playing a role, and it having a definite impact on their environment and the associated NPCs. Or in other words, their narrative choices having a definite effect across the game, like you might see in Mass Effect, and the likes of which has never been done in an MMO. If that wasn't their intent then they worded their post poorly.

I made no disparaging remarks about starting in your "hometown" as you suggested, beyond perhaps the unrelated fact that it would delay the introduction of what is commonly viewed as the game's best feature: ship combat.
All I was asking for was immersion in my character, and some form of reaction by NPC's around me to my decisions and actions. And look around you it is done in nearly every rpg around.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I'm sorry, would you like to pretend I'm wrong when I'm not, and that your post applied when it didn't?

This person is talking about their morality playing a role, and it having a definite impact on their environment and the associated NPCs. Or in other words, their narrative choices having a definite effect across the game, like you might see in Mass Effect, and the likes of which has never been done in an MMO. If that wasn't their intent then they worded their post poorly.

I made no disparaging remarks about starting in your "hometown" as you suggested, beyond perhaps the unrelated fact that it would delay the introduction of what is commonly viewed as the game's best feature: ship combat.
Really, isn't that just Reputation in WoW (which does influence NPC dialogues and behaviors) or Commendation categories here?

All that's needed are either/or commendation categories where raising one lowers the other and then identify key places and mechanics that can trigger off of it. (Like vaporizing an enemy raises one and using a stun weapon and "capturing" an enemy raises the other.)

Something like the Aldor/Scryer business in WoW or the old divide between the centaur clans in Desolace. Or... ooh... the Bloodsail Admiral grind, which basically requires you to camp and lay siege to the guards at the neutral port towns for around 8 hours.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
All I was asking for was immersion in my character, and some form of reaction by NPC's around me to my decisions and actions. And look around you it is done in nearly every rpg around.
Let me throw out something for you to focus on since I think you'd like this and I think it's doable with this game's tech.

Imagine you have the current amount of choice in how missions play out (very little aside from succeed or fail).

Now imagine they added a little cap to every mission where you "debrief" with your officers, with a counselor, with Starfleet brass... and they basically ask you how that mission made you feel... and how you answer would adjust your commendation category gains and the types of rewards you're in line to get.

How's that?
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
Perhaps it's just that you got a little too flowery with your descriptions, but it definitely seems like you're suggesting meaningful interactions. The likes of which you're more prone to find in Mass Effect than, say, World of ********. I mean, you talk about hangin' with your holograms...

If you're talking about something more basic I think the poetry of the post works against the meaning.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-17-2012, 03:52 AM
I enjoyed reading the OP's post, it has a lot of good ideas that could be incorporated into STO, in time. Perhaps it did seem it was based more on a single player game though. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a little flowery or poetic, it show's the writers passion for his idea and his ability to illustrate those ideas in an emotional way. I thought the silly argument in semantics did no service to this thread though, people are always going to disagree on things, arguing the toss in public is just plain silly.
Lt. Commander
This is what discussion is all about.

I agree that, the post was done in an emotive tone because that was the message I was trying to convey.

I agree that there are certain mechanics I was proposing that would not necessarily be feasible to achieve, but nonetheless, something to consider.

The notion of starting from one's home planet adds emphasis to the archetype heroic character setting out on a grand adventure somewhere far away. It lends itself to the idea that the galaxy is something huge that needs to explored. It adds to the mystery.

I believe that the linear storylines that are currently in play; one of the greatest drawbacks of the Foundry toolset - is that there is little choice. Do A and B will happen. All I am hoping for is that somewhere down the line a C and D get added.

I enjoy space combat as much as anyone, but does every encounter need to end in bloodshed? Sometimes a perceived enemy could turn out to be an ally.

Great storylines are written with numerous unexpected subplots. The central theme as I see it is a galaxy threatened by war on all fronts. But how about introducing subplots into the storyline that would speak to the players as individuals? This could be generated by a series of questions the player is asked during character creation. Throughout their career this storyline could emerge and mini-story arcs introduced. e.g. A Klingon dishonoured fighting to regain his families honour, a former-Marquis determined to win the respect of Starfleet or a Nausicaan set upon rescuing a mate.

Everything currently in the game from the ships to the mechanics are fantastic. By now the developers should be in a place to ask themselves, "what can we do to truly make this an unbelievable experience." They are already half-way there. The Deferi Invasion Zone - a prime example. The power of a central narrator, like Spock, plays a crucial role in setting the scene, allowing the player to gauge where they are at pivotal moments in their career, in relation to the wider events of the galaxy.