Lt. Commander
OK, been having horrible lag in this game, well here is the ticket I submitted to Cryptic, if anyone has any ideas let me know...

"well, ever since the major patch in December 1st for the FTP launch I have had horrible lag issues. Never had a problem till that patch, and it comes and goes. At first its started and I restarted my computer took care of it. Then it stared to get progressively worse, so i took the computer wiped everything did a clean install on it and updated all the drivers and programs. Still no effect... Took the router out of the equation and that wasn't it, switched my DSL modem to an older one I have, didn't help. Re-installed Direct x 11, nothing. Took the whole computer apart and cleaned everything, nothing. Thought it could be Norton's internet security, disabled it, nothing, deleted it, nothing. Did another complete install and updated everything again including SP1 for windows 7, which I missed the first time, no effect. I am about done with this lag, I sign on, no lag, two minutes in, lag like no other, can't do anything, if I let it sit there it clears up and then I can play for about 5 minutes before its back, if I restart the computer after each sign on it eventually goes away, but being as it has been 3 hours today and no results I am at my wits end with this problem. I really do like the game its awesome, but I just don't understand how after December changes that you guys created has given me so much grief. I do have a 3MB connection, which when I first started had a 1.5MB connection which worked fine also, back in the day mind you. Granted this computer isn't a top of the line computer either but it worked fine before, I just can't figure out the problem, so I am asking you for help. I am including the DXdialog so you can see what my upgraded Walmart special computer is. Any input on my problems would be welcomed so I can return to the game. I do have a lot invested into my account and would not like to loose it all because of my issue with this game."

Thank You,
Zipadelli
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Did you try doing the network connection tests???

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=225155
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
There are programs out there that will do an advanced trace route. If you can get the IP address of STO's server, you can put that in as the destination and then run the program. It will show every server your connection hits between you and the STO game servers. Quite literally, if any one of those servers is having a problem, you will potentially see lag, regaqrdless of whether it related to Cryptic or not.

I only say this because this isn't a common issue with everyone else. If the problem has been consitent, then the only thing you can really do is contact your service provider's tech department and literally ask them to reroute you to STO's destination IP. This can be done. But it has been my experience that making that phone call is going to give you a bigger migrane that you would normally have just calling feces throwing monkeys in customer service...so, make sure you have a stiff drink handy before you make the call.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
OK, well it seems what I best can describe as lag, perhaps its not, did the test in the above link, little high on some numbers, way low on other... I am however not rubber banding like normal lag. What happens is where ever I am outside ESD, at ESD, in a system with NO interaction, either moving or not doing a damn think, this is what happens. Log in, first two minutes work fine, then the lag starts, everything on the screen starts jumping including me, BUT if I move, I do not rubber band backwards at all... I do not get thrown backwards at all, space or ground. If I am in a team they all say my movement on their screen is smooth as can be, that I am not jumping like lag. The thing is it almost happens at the EXACT same time after I log, last EXACTLY the same length before it stops, and last EXACTLY the same time before it starts again. I mean by what I understand as standard lagging is the rubber banding effect, I do not have that at all when it starts, I can still move, do not get thrown backward, everyone watching me says i am not lagging, know that because i an in our fleet ventrilo chat. Its almost like I am running at 5 FPS on the video card when the problem starts. But I honestly don't know how to describe it better than what I did. I do know my way around computers and whatnot but I will be the first to admit I am far from being a guru about them lol

I do apriciate all the help that you all have responded to so far, I will be upgrading the computer later this year, should say replacing it, and then will be going to a faster internet connection when I move into town. (Live in Southern Oregon, its about 10 years in the past compared to the rest of the country as far as internet service...)

Thank You,
Zipadelli
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Does your system specs meet the minimum requirements for the game? You could be dealing with video card issues - or the game's video system might be turned up too high. I've had plenty of friends hopping around the game because their video cards weren't strong enough.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Yes, it meet the recommended system requirements
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Check to see if the system auto-loaded DX11 for you. It auto-loaded it for me and I had to manually turn it off and reset all my video settings.

If your biggest problem is getting into ESD and DS9, well that's a map issue which everyone is having.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
ESD and DS9 load times I understand, that is not the problem I am having. Just used that as a reference to I can be in a busy area or isolated all by myself and it still happens reguardless of the situation I am in...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
ESD and DS9 load times I understand, that is not the problem I am having. Just used that as a reference to I can be in a busy area or isolated all by myself and it still happens reguardless of the situation I am in...
I'd still check the video settings in the game. What your experiencing seems like computer system lag issues rather then server issues.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-16-2012, 04:24 PM
OK turned down the graphics, didn't help... However I did notice for the first time that is said something about the Nvidia card crashing and restoring its progress when i switch to the desk top. So, i will look into that as the culprit now, just seems weird that the day it started was the day the first huge FTP change took place...