Lt. Commander
# 1 A rant about Elite STFs
01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm not a mean person. And I am not usually the one to make a post like this, but it's gotten ridiculous and I'm frustrated.

If you are not familiar with how to play the STFs, don't play them on elite. Please. Frankly, it's tantamount to griefing to join an elite level STF not knowing what to do, or not being properly equipped. These missions were designed to require 5 people for any decent chance of success, so if you don't know what to do and don't contribute, you are basically screwing the other 4 people of a chance at completing the mission. Some may think it's rude or offensive to put someone down who doesn't cooperate on an elite STF, but IMHO it's equally rude and offensive to join a game session of "serious" players who are looking to finish an elite run, and then not be able or willing to contribute to the team, and thereby making their game experience worse or impossible.

I'm not the best STO player. I don't have the best gear. I don't care if we fail because we suck. I DO care if we fail because people don't or won't communicate, try team strategy, play elite STFs not knowing how they work, or don't come properly equipped.

I'm pretty new to elite STFs myself. But what I DID do was play a bunch on normal so I at least know how the levels work. Through that experience I also got reasonable gear to play with as well. I also make it a point to communicate and tell my team if I'm new to playing a mission on elite. In my experience, nobody has chastised me for being new to STFs, or elite mode. They've always been helpful with advice and strategy.

Again I'm not a mean person, but I am quickly losing the willpower to stay my tongue when we get to the bottom of Infected ground and I ask if everyone knows what to do and people say no. Or when I get into an Elite STF and see half my team sporting miniguns.

I also understand there may be language barriers but I don't think I have ever seen it where someone gives a command in english and gets a foreign reply which probably says "sorry I don't understand english". One time I figured out that one of our team spoke french. And a quick alt-tab to google translate seemed to get basic communication going.

Perhaps I just expect too much from PUGs, but there's always those few times when I have played with a PUG but everyone was a team player and it worked out great. We had some tough battles, pushed through, and finished the mission. Some of the best STO gaming I've had. I've recently been made aware of the EliteSTF channel and will try monitor/use that to find elite STFs.

Maybe if Cryptic can implement a lockout on elite STFs, so that players have to complete say 20 STF runs before they are allowed to join Elite queues, it would reduce the number of people who just go straight to elite. And maybe it's possible to somehow identify what language version of STO people are running, so we can at least deduce that our communication is not being understood instead of just ignored.

Rant over. Sorry guys it's just that after 3 straight tries at infected ground elite, only to get to the last room and have people not know what to do and/or quit after 1-2 failed attempts... it can eat away at one's resolve
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Most of the players that have no idea what to do on Elite STFs don't vist the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I haven't gotten back into doing STFs yet since the F2P changes. But this is a common complaint I've seen. It would make sense to me that the Elite versions should be unlocked once you've completed Normal successfully. Maybe even 3-5 times successfully.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-16-2012, 10:27 PM
First of all, let me say that I don't disagree with anything the OP said.

However, let me offer a little insight from the other side of the fence, so to speak. I'm a PvPer, mostly. I play PvE with my wife, but I have a main Kling char that is just for PvP. And seeing how OP the new STF gear is, I wanted to try to get the KHG set. But I hate grinding. If it isn't a mission I can run that has a plot, and if it isn't PvP, I don't really want to do it. I never played the STFs before season 5, because they themselves were a grind. So the idea of grinding a bunch of STFs on normal just to get gear to grind the Elite STFs was not attractive. So, I played the Infected space on normal a couple of times, and thew went for elite.

As a PvPer, I'm no slouch in combat, and as a Kling, teamwork is second nature. So it's not like I don't have a good grasp on the skills needed. But when I played the STF on elite, there was no teamwork, no communication, no planning. The players just rushed in and then complained when people weren't doing things their way. In one case, I asked what the plan was, and I basically got the response that if I didn't know, they weren't going to tell me.

On the last one I played, on of the Fed players (I've always been the only Kling on the team.) complained about the rest of us screwing it up, and I complained about his complaint. He told me what his plan was, and it was a good one, but I said that it would have been more useful to see if we were all on the same page before we started instead of assuming we were and then complaining when he found out we weren't.

But then when it came time to put his plan into action, I asked if everyone understood the plan, and got no response. (They evidently did, because they carried it out well enough, but only he an I EVER said anything in chat.)

So yeah, you should be able to expect some level of competence in an Elite STF, but at the same time, the veterans could do a LOT to solve their own problems by just letting everyone know what they want to see take place. As an STF rookie, I can tell you that I would have been more than happy to follow directions if someone had given them instead of just complaining.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-16-2012, 10:33 PM
I would recommend doing your elite STFs with people you know. Doing high level content with strangers is just a gamble. And if you choose to gamble you cant really blame anyone else for what happens.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
I haven't gotten back into doing STFs yet since the F2P changes. But this is a common complaint I've seen. It would make sense to me that the Elite versions should be unlocked once you've completed Normal successfully. Maybe even 3-5 times successfully.
There's already something (kinda) like that in place. Normal STFs unlock at RA(LH) 44 (my char at that level can do them). Elite STFs are not available to that same character, so I would assume that Elite STFs are not accessible until VA 50.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I would recommend doing your elite STFs with people you know. Doing high level content with strangers is just a gamble. And if you choose to gamble you cant really blame anyone else for what happens.
Good quote from a Ferengi

Edit: I'm a dumbass, and I forget about the 'Multi-Quote' function.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
If you are not familiar with how to play the STFs, don't play them on elite. Please. Frankly, it's tantamount to griefing to join an elite level STF not knowing what to do, or not being properly equipped.

..... but IMHO it's equally rude and offensive to join a game session of "serious" players who are looking to finish an elite run, and then not be able or willing to contribute to the team, and thereby making their game experience worse or impossible.

I'm not the best STO player. I don't have the best gear. I don't care if we fail because we suck. I DO care if we fail because people don't or won't communicate, try team strategy, play elite STFs not knowing how they work, or don't come properly equipped.

I'm pretty new to elite STFs myself. ......
No offense friend, I find it ironic that an inexperience player is complaining about other inexperienced players.

Its odd that you state that you do not care if you guys suck, yet at the same time you do care if you guys do not communicate and work as a team. I thought sucking at something is because of both being ill equipped and being ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
Perhaps I just expect too much from PUGs, but there's always those few times when I have played with a PUG but everyone was a team player and it worked out great. We had some tough battles, pushed through, and finished the mission. Some of the best STO gaming I've had.
You do expect too much from a PUG - PUG teams have always been inferior to fleet or guild squads with organized TS & Vent events.

Granted I have been in some really good PUG groups and we were able to get informed very quickly on strategy, but thats mostly because the PUG TEAM consisted of experienced players such as myself. However; I did have my share of dim whits and morons. Like the Ferengi stated, PUGs is a gamble.

Want a better gaming experience in STFs - JOIN a Fleet that is active and uses TS or Vent.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-17-2012, 01:12 AM
To the OP: I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I've pugged high level normal difficulty instances (which are frankly harder than the elite stfs) in other MMOs for years. Things that commonly happen in STO (attacking different groups, etc) almost never happen in those. The difference is even more obvious in hard modes. For some reson people join Elite Cure Space just to fail it over and over again.

One of the best (and worst) things about MMOs is playing with complete strangers and making new friends.

Playing with your fleet or the same people all the time is a solution but a wrong one.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-17-2012, 01:13 AM
There are soooooo many aspects to this.

While I generally agree with the OP, if you don't know what to do, don't do Elite STF's, I have also expirienced that there are alot of people out there who honestly belive that they know what to do, and join because of this.

I had a experience like this a week ago. 4 of us knew exactly what to do in KA, and agreed in chat on the strat we were going to use (we used the "below generators" strat).

However there was this one person, who kept attacking the cubes getting aggro on 2 cubes at the same time. Obviously this ruined the process for the rest of us, and we agreed that he must have been a newb.

After the match, I started getting /tells from the guy, telling me (and likely the others) that if we didn know how to do STF's we should stay out, followed by a series of very childish insults.

Point is: I've used the strategy before and I know it works, but the last person did not (or had bad expirience with it), and in his eyes we were the n00bs. THis is just the way PUG's work.