Lt. Commander
# 1 Elite STF F2P concern
01-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Okay it hapens today. Maybe it will be a great influx of new players and maybe the naysayers will be correct and it will destroy the world. Who knows.

My concern as a determined STF junkie is that these new boys are going to start joining us in as little as one week form now in our STSs. Some might even make it by the weekend.

Added to that is the fact that they, unlike everyone who went before them, dont get top end ships simply by levelling. So... by the weekend it is entirely possible I am going to fin a brand new player in and elite STF flying a baby commander level ship or whatever they stop at with a mixture of weapons MK IV - X...

why so low? Cos they certainly wont have time to grind out dilithium to craft all that stuff and drops or missions rewards, well maybe but I doubt it.

So... is there anything going to be put in place to stop woefully underequipped people from joining elite STFs? The big one for me is the ship. Surely they should be required to have a ship of the level at the very least. Everything else at least they will earn over time, but the ship as far as I understand it, they are gonna have to buy.

Elite STFs are tricky for long term STO players with a detailed knowledge and experience of the game and equipment & gameskill comparable with that.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2012, 01:32 AM
hmm true dat... they should increase the max players to 6 or 7 to compensate bad players.. but even then, some might fail..
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2012, 04:08 AM
The simple answer is going to be 'Don't do Elites through the public queue"
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Don't F2P players get a discount on one admiral lower half ship? With discount It costs only 12k dilithium, I think.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiat View Post
Don't F2P players get a discount on one admiral lower half ship? With discount It costs only 12k dilithium, I think.
only? i think it takes forever to get 12mil
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-17-2012, 06:51 AM
k=1000 so it's 12000 with daily limit of 8000 to refine. It's rather easy to get that amount.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake45
The simple answer is going to be 'Don't do Elites through the public queue"
Oh I would love to be in aposition to agree with that. Sadly almost my entire guild has defected to 'that other game'. Until that fad dissipates I am mostly a lonely soldier!
Lt. Commander
# 8 Oh Boy!
01-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Oh gosh.

Well, this is something I had not thought of!

Its not that I mind helping people out on STF's elite or not, its the few people who refuse to listen to guidance. I for one learned many tactics in the past month on Elite STF's, just by asking! And listening of course, no matter how silly it sounded.. ( stop firing at 10% they say?? ... okay!?? .... wow awesome tactic! )

Happened about 4 times last night, failing 2 elite STF's for certain ( Neg'var invasion on the Kang!), making normal infected seem like a solo mission, and letting in a rush of probes and spheres in Cure Elite blowing the gate too soon. But I never got angry and yelled at them, just let them know their mistake and how to improve next time.

I am hopeful that it will not be that bad, and I will continue to try to assist and teach, rather than get nasty and yell at the newer players.

Hopefully others will follow this and more people will be open to listening to advice, knowing that they will not be scolded like a child if they turn on that team chat.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Sounds like the private matches are going to become much more common. Use that STF chat channel!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
Okay it hapens today. Maybe it will be a great influx of new players and maybe the naysayers will be correct and it will destroy the world. Who knows.

My concern as a determined STF junkie is that these new boys are going to start joining us in as little as one week form now in our STSs. Some might even make it by the weekend.

Added to that is the fact that they, unlike everyone who went before them, dont get top end ships simply by levelling. So... by the weekend it is entirely possible I am going to fin a brand new player in and elite STF flying a baby commander level ship or whatever they stop at with a mixture of weapons MK IV - X...

why so low? Cos they certainly wont have time to grind out dilithium to craft all that stuff and drops or missions rewards, well maybe but I doubt it.

So... is there anything going to be put in place to stop woefully underequipped people from joining elite STFs? The big one for me is the ship. Surely they should be required to have a ship of the level at the very least. Everything else at least they will earn over time, but the ship as far as I understand it, they are gonna have to buy.

Elite STFs are tricky for long term STO players with a detailed knowledge and experience of the game and equipment & gameskill comparable with that.
I wholeheartedly disagree. You do know that there are a couple Klingon Episode missions for Fed characters that offer up Mk XI phaser beam arrays or whatever energy weapon type you want - keeping with Phasers. You can get a decent build with grinding the Featured Episodes Missions. Pick the loot you want to build your ship with, then grind on those missions. The loot is essentially free, just requires a little amount of time. (This is how I got some of my current build). Doing Assimilation from the Undine Episode and a couple key other Missions in the other Episodes, you can get everything except grinding out a few runs of STF's to get a Borg Set. If you get lucky, you can get a M.A.C.O. Shield to compliment the set and still get the 3 of 4 set bonus (this setup is suggested).

Additionally, if they don't automatically set themselves to mute everything, many people will tell others what to do via the Voice Communication when doing the STF mission. So, as long as they do as they are told, the tactics will come quickly (over their audio mixer).

As far as the ship is concerned, if they don't use the DOFF system and level up faster than they can afford, then they should be pretty close to be affording the ship of their choice by the time they get Vice Admiral.