Lt. Commander
# 11
01-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I've been playing as a Free-to-Play member for about a week after being allowed into the Early Access program, and after being away from the game for a year and a half, I can safely say that VERY little has changed. The DOff system, Calendar, Foundry, and Featured Episodes are great, but most of those won't last you very long. The DOff system is just a little something to entice you (and reward you) for logging in every day, but the Calendar events get repetitive after just a week.

The Foundry is great and it shows how creative the playerbase is, but you run out of quality missions to play about as fast as the Featured Episodes do. Speaking of which, the Featured Episodes are mostly good (especially that Obisek voice acting), but after a year and a half, there are only a handful of FE to play? What a joke.

Leveling is ridiculously fast. I ran as many Federation Mirror runs through the Calendar/PVE queue as I could in the allotted hour and gained FIVE LEVELS. In ONE HOUR. That's ridiculous. It just goes to show that Cryptic was trying to introduce whatever they could to fill in the gaps of this shallow game.

I can only imagine how much worse things will get when all the F2P players come in. Players in the EliteSTF channel were saying that STFs will become much more frustrating to do because there will be a larger number of people running them that don't want to learn and it will result in a higher percentage of failed runs. It would be so much better if there were some STFs at lower levels so that new players could get the hang of it BEFORE hitting the level cap.

Lastly, some of the ways that Cryptic has tried to monetize the game are downright cruel. 400CP to respec and no free tokens at rank ups for free players, for starters. If you mess up your spec, you either have to fork over real money or grind for a week to get the dilithium just to respec ONCE. Ships that used to be free now cost money, and some require you to be max level to use. Why do I want to buy ships at max level when there isn't much of anything to use them in?
Lt. Commander
# 12 Drought huh?
01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
So when the US was in the Great Depression and having its drought one thing that brought the economy back was WW 2....I say the Feds and the Klingons have an all out war. This will get rid of the drought we've been having and boost moral.

Or it could end horribly, but what do I know
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-17-2012, 08:45 AM
What really strikes me as funny was the statements by the Dev about how they were going to slow down leveling because you could hit max level AND have the best weapons in one day...countering the earlier claim of hitting max level in one weekend with a six pack of Red Bull.

And now, you can level 5x faster than could before.
Do some events, pick up a couple free skill boosts and play the DO system and you should be able to lvl cap in a few hours, no Red Bull needed.
Brilliant....
Wouldn't be so bad if there was more endgame missions...
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
If you are hoping for a complete factional KDF PvE content then nothing has changed in that aspect, yet.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-17-2012, 10:06 AM
im personally still waiting for them to fix exploring. Life time membership here.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
There has been a shining light, the DOFF system but it's not enough to cover over the rest of the issues.
I'll admit, I do like the DOFF system. But I'm finding it too easy. The concept is great but the difficulty needs to be increased a little. At the moment, the difficulty setting in my eyes consists of having the correct crew member wether it be a quartermaster or bartender lol

Seeing some good and bad comments here but remember, this is not a thread for us to have a go at the Dev's merely vent some frustration or pass on some praise
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithff1 View Post
So when the US was in the Great Depression and having its drought one thing that brought the economy back was WW 2....I say the Feds and the Klingons have an all out war. This will get rid of the drought we've been having and boost moral.

Or it could end horribly, but what do I know
Love the idea of an all out Fed Vs Klink war but the logistics of that one would be massive lol bye bye servers :p
Lt. Commander
# 18 Now just a minute
01-18-2012, 03:14 AM
I've got plenty to complain about, but to say that the Foundry will run you out of missions in a week is ridiculous, unless possibly if you play it 24/7 for a week, but even then you'd still have a lot of missions to do.

The content drought has also been slightly overblown in that we actually have gotten new content lately, though we did have to wait for 9 months for any of it. Borg Red Alerts, Mirror Universe event, Starfleet and Klingon Academy events, Lore missions, and Defera Invasion event have all come around in the last few months. So it is a bit overwrought to suggest the content drought continues from early last year until now. It went from March 2011 to December 2011, and there is still no more featured episodes since then. That is the truth.

All that said, we've been clamoring for Featured Episodes, promised them for months, and only next month will we see a new one. Stephen has said we'll only get 2 more series this year and if we can get 3 it would be an epic win, when I'm pretty sure nobody in the playerbase would describe it that way. Featured episodes is STO at its best, and a content team that can give us many of those would insure the continuing success of STO without taking advantage of players with lotteries with infinitesimal chances of winning and other missteps we've had in the last year. It is my hope that STO will go that direction when we can finally rid ourselves of the worst EP we've had since launch. Stephen may be a whiz at programming (maybe) but he's been pretty poor at being an EP.

Hopefully all you new people will see a better STO than we saw for the last year. More featured episodes are on the way, and many of the new systems are an improvement, particularly the ground combat revamp and the DOFF system.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-18-2012, 07:36 AM
STILL living up to expectations?.....?.....? seriously....THIS is what you have been expecting?
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-18-2012, 07:44 AM
So you were here for the Reman feature episode then left. How nice do you think it is that they made NO feature episodes since you left?