Lt. Commander
Every time I try to change the resolution to match my monitor (1920x1080 @ 60hz) the game crashes and I get a fatal error prompt saying "Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) while resetting device (3.85GB memory available). Techinical Details: 3.85 GB memory available" The amount of memory available has been different each time, once it was 4.00, another 3.96. What gives? I was able to set it to a resolution half way in between the default and my desired one without crashing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Make sure that your DirectX version for your version of Windows is updated.

Check that your mainboard, CPU, and video drivers are updated where applicable.

If you are forcing any visual settings in the AMD/ATI or nVidia control panels, turn those off and try again.

Try picking Windowed mode and a lower resolution and experiment to see what works best for your system.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeneratekane
..... What gives? I was able to set it to a resolution half way in between the default and my desired one without crashing.
Sounds like your trying to set a resolution that your graphics card can't support....

What kind of graphics card do you have? How much video memory. Do you meet the 'performance' hardware requirements for STO?

Read this thread to find out how to get these answers....

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=57331
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I built my system less than a year ago, it can handle anything. My card is a GTX 580 with 1.5gb of memory, and I have all my games set at 1920x1080. I just went into the game folder and found the file where the settings are saved and edited it manually, and the game ran fine, so I don't know what it is doing wrong when I try to set it from in the game. Oh well, doesn't matter now.