Lt. Commander
# 11
01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I agree with your whole post.
Lt. Commander
I've had STO installed since beta so I've not had to install the client in 2 years. But is Pando on my computer all this time, eating bandwidth and slowing down my computer? I've noticed lots of slowdown from STO when in social zones, is pando eating my bandwidth even now without my knowing? I've used numerous utilities to fix up registry errors, defrag often, and everything else I can think of.

So what file should I be looking for, and how will I know when it comes back?

So a program that eats your bandwidth is being installed on all our computers and we didn't know? Wow.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callipygian
Im trying this

http://files.startrekonline.com/inst...line_setup.exe

I have managed to install the launcher, and update it. now im downloading 6274MB..
No guarantee it will work, but im giving it a try just to avoid Pando
This worked much better, thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstromvortex
This worked much better, thank you!

Your Welcome...

Its all fine for me too, the client seems to patch as you play. but all working with no Pando
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpanda16 View Post
You can uninstall Pando in Windows control panel and not have to worry with it anymore until a next major update. Computer users should always be aware of the programs running on their systems, hence why Task Manager and Hijackthis are great resources. It is ultimately up to the end user to be proactive and responsibly take care of their property. No one else can make someone take care of one's own hardware.

I understand your frustration from a player AND tech support perspective. From a business and bandwidth perspective, I understand the reasoning for choosing Pando.
You guys had STO on Steam, and believe me it is much more capable of being able to handle heavy traffic than Pando. Furthermore, if your ISP flags the heavy usage as problematic and you sya "Oh I was installing a game from Steam", Steam is mainstream enough that most ISP coustomer service reps are going to know what you mean whereas just about every ISP tech that wasn't level 3 or higher support had no idea what it was (and the one tech I've talked to that did at Rogers told me to avoid the thing like it carried the bubonic plague unless I liked paying a lot extra per month.)

There are better alternatives. Steam is one of them and Cryptic was using it until the F2P launch. Please put STO back in the Steam Marketplace.