Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, crazy things were happening to me with popups tonight. They were showing up twice, or in random orders. If set to never show, they still showed. However, I don't think that never show option has ever worked for anything.

It's starting to feel like a really serious bug.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Yeah, crazy things were happening to me with popups tonight. They were showing up twice, or in random orders. If set to never show, they still showed. However, I don't think that never show option has ever worked for anything.

It's starting to feel like a really serious bug.
This has been happening allot since the Tip Jar was implemented. At first I thought it was new player not knowing how to use Map Transitions properly or triggers interacting with popup's placed on the map. There was a previous issue like this along time ago, but can't seem to find the thread. Any light you can she'd on this KF would be very helpful.

Is the popup on a custom map or a Social zone one. and is it story or map based?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post
This has been happening allot since the Tip Jar was implemented. At first I thought it was new player not knowing how to use Map Transitions properly or triggers interacting with popup's placed on the map. There was a previous issue like this along time ago, but can't seem to find the thread. Any light you can she'd on this KF would be very helpful.

Is the popup on a custom map or a Social zone one. and is it story or map based?
I had the most trouble with popups (blue talk icons on the map), triggered to appear after object interactions or component completes.

I was trying various scenarios, and I had to design these popups according to what was and was not working. I wish I could be specific.

There was even one time that the popups on the story tab were not working, even after hitting reset, especially if the popup was the last thing in the story tab while testing. It just didn't work.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-08-2012, 12:54 PM
This issue is still unresolved. I can't work on my mission because I can't test any dialogue on that map. This is a really, really big problem ... some response would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentYae View Post
This issue is still unresolved. I can't work on my mission because I can't test any dialogue on that map. This is a really, really big problem ... some response would be nice.
Hit 'reset map' each time you test. The dialogues only work after reset.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Just tried that again, same result.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Just tried that again, same result.
Can you go into greater detail about exactly what you are trying to do and how you are doing it? Which types of popups? What are the triggers? What's in the story tab, etc.

I will try to help, since we haven't seen a dev response in this bug forum for many moons.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
I'm running into the same bug; I even set the popup to visible:never and it ended up interspersing one dialog with another. Here is what happened:

I have two Storyboards (Talk to Contacts) on one map. There are two Popup Dialogs linked to the Objective Complete for each corresponding Storyboard: "Talk to the Wharfmaster" -> "Lobek Branching Dialog" and "Talk to Dennis" -> "Dennis Expo Dialog." I set things up this way so I can use buttons (which only work off Popups) but still give the player guidance via the submission, overhead icons, etc.

What I'm getting is "Talk to the Wharfmaster" -> "Dennis Expo Dialog." If I set "Dennis Expo Dialog" to NEVER fire, it plays "Lobek Branching Dialog" immediately upon loading the map, but replaces the first panel of that dialog with the first panel of "Dennis Expo Dialog," excluding buttons. You can then fallow through "Lobek Branching Dialog" to conclusion, at which point "Dennis Expo Dialog" then fires, despite being set to never become visible.

Even better, when I try to preview any of the dialogs present on that map in the "Play Dialog" holodeck thingy, I spawn normally but am presented with an empty dialog box with no contact image and one "Continue" button, regardless of which dialog I am attempting to preview. Dialogs for Storyboards and Popups on other maps work fine.

Project Name: Audacious Accusations
Project ID: ST-HGTVHPVHL
Map: Koltara Station
The base map I'm using is the badlands station interior. If this still doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll hit you up on IRC this weekend.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
The base map I'm using is the badlands station interior. If this still doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll hit you up on IRC this weekend.
It's a little complicated, so i'm not sure if I totally understand how you have things set up.

The option for visible: never has always been buggy. It doesn't work at all for objects and it acts wacky regardless of what you're doing.

Also, the dialog boxes will not popup at all if more than one dialogue button is set to trigger it. The dialog prompt triggers are really wacky.

Are both talk to objectives set as a complete all, where you can do either or? That might be the problem.

if, however it's set to: (story board)

Talk to X
Talk to Y

Then, with blue dialog talk bubbles placed on the map tab set:

X dialogue visible with objective complete: talk to X
Y dialog visible with objective complete: talk to Y

You have to change the state triggers on the objects in the map screen. Setting the triggers in the dialogues area doesn't work.

Does any of that help?

edit... now that I reread your post, it sounds more like you're trying to give the player a choice.

Have you also tried: Instead of having the talk to contacts as story objectives, you can trigger the dialogs using invisible objects, disguised as talk to contacts.

This seems to work much better than using dialog prompt triggers.

Sorry, I'm probably still confused.

Double edit: Oh, and don't test the dialogs in the dialogues editor. It always screws up the preview for me as well. Once you think that you have things set up, play test the map and immediately reset before testing.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
I played around a bit tonight and found that it seems to be linked to the number of total dialogs present on the map, which of course is my good friend the dialog overflow that was supposedly fixed yonks ago. BUT, if the dialog is linked to an object, it doesn't randomly fire at the end of the first map objective, but properly when the object is activated. All dialogs -- past whatever threshold that I have no real way of calculating -- set to visible on a map objective or a dialog button will fire upon the completion of the FIRST map objective. it seems to be a sort of FIFO thing, since it's only the dialog that caused the initial problem and the new one that I added to test that exibit this behavior.

I've put in another bug report. Is there any way of knowing whether this will even be looked at, short of Zero coming in and saying so? I'd like to know what the chances of a fix are before I spend a few weeks taking a hatchet to a very complex map.