Lt. Commander
# 11
01-17-2012, 02:29 PM
C'mon, this isn't fair. I'm running Windows XP on Mac Bootcamp. Except for a few hiccups, the game has worked fine in the past, and I've always received support when I needed it. But now that you know I have a Mac you refuse to help me. Forget that I have a Mac and look into the problem. Something is blocking my access to the game, and I guarantee that it isn't Apple.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Please restart your PC and network hardware.

After you get the game updated and get in game, you can uninstall Pando Media Booster or shut it down (PMB.exe in Windows Task Manager) if you start getting unusual lag spikes or other network issues.

You must be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

You may need to update or install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. You may need to install or update to the latest Microsoft .NET Framework for your version of Windows and also update to the latest version of DirectX. You may also need to check or change your network settings.

You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.

You may also have to disable, shut down, uninstall, or disable any: torrent, keyboard/mouse, web browser toolbars, video/screen capture, gamepad/input device, multimedia, Instant Messaging, voice over IP, web browser games, other games software applications before downloading, installing, updating, logging into, and playing the game. Basically shut down all non-essential programs.

If you need further help, when you contact us by a support ticket, please answer the following questions:

What exactly did you try in the information presented to you?

What changes to your software did you make?

What errors did you get?
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-17-2012, 03:31 PM
I can't disable the media booster, or do anything in game, because I can't get into the game. Let me explain again. After I log in, the game client screen changes to the patch up screen. This is the screen that says engage after the patching process is done. But I don't have a chance to click engage because it crashes after only two or three seconds. I have to force verify the game, but when I tell it to do that, nothing happens. The game worked fine last night, so I did a system restore to yesterday. It still doesn't work. What is the problem? Why is this happening? What can I do to fix this?
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyyank View Post
I can't disable the media booster, or do anything in game, because I can't get into the game. Let me explain again. After I log in, the game client screen changes to the patch up screen. This is the screen that says engage after the patching process is done. But I don't have a chance to click engage because it crashes after only two or three seconds. I have to force verify the game, but when I tell it to do that, nothing happens. The game worked fine last night, so I did a system restore to yesterday. It still doesn't work. What is the problem? Why is this happening? What can I do to fix this?
Stupid question: Have you tried uninstalled STO and installing it again? Should essentially be the same as verifying all the files.

Side Note: Dont be sarcastic/rude... even if he says he can't help you cause you're using a Mac, you could calmly and cively explain that your OS is windows, so the fact hardware is Mac shouldnt matter. No need for rudeness... less likely to get help that way
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-17-2012, 03:49 PM
You're right, but I thought it would be obvious that I was running Windows XP on an emulator. I've had this issue before on tech support with other programs. As soon as tech sees that I'm on a Mac, it's all hands off. Very upsetting.
I'm reinstalling the game right now. I hope it does some good, but what if it doesn't? Any ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyyank View Post
You're right, but I thought it would be obvious that I was running Windows XP on an emulator. I've had this issue before on tech support with other programs. As soon as tech sees that I'm on a Mac, it's all hands off. Very upsetting.
I'm reinstalling the game right now. I hope it does some good, but what if it doesn't? Any ideas?
If that does nothing, and you've tried all the other things darthpanda16 said to do (reinistalling MS Visual C++, .NET (since when does STO use .NET...strange), ect), I would probably try uninstalling IEx (not sure what IE version you're on) and reinstall it (or update it to IE9 if it's not there already). The launcher uses IE for some of it's functionality (or at least it did when I was playing STO on ubuntu through wine)

Also, did this just start after the patch today? Or when was the last time it actually worked? Just wondering if the functionality that lets you log into STO with PW or Cryptic credentials is what broke it for you (which was done sometime last week? Dont quite remember when...), or if its something else that went in with today's patch...
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-17-2012, 04:04 PM
As I recall, I patched up last night and then played the game for a while. The problems did not occur until this morning.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
If that does nothing, and you've tried all the other things darthpanda16 said to do (reinistalling MS Visual C++, .NET (since when does STO use .NET...strange), ect), I would probably try uninstalling IEx (not sure what IE version you're on) and reinstall it (or update it to IE9 if it's not there already). The launcher uses IE for some of it's functionality (or at least it did when I was playing STO on ubuntu through wine)

Also, did this just start after the patch today? Or when was the last time it actually worked? Just wondering if the functionality that lets you log into STO with PW or Cryptic credentials is what broke it for you (which was done sometime last week? Dont quite remember when...), or if its something else that went in with today's patch...
FYI - STO desen't use Microsoft .NET for anything - I don't have ANY version of MS .NET installed and the game runs fine (and yes, I do know the ins an out of .NET as I'm in the IT support fioeld and we have apps at work that use it extensively.

As for why Darth Panda is saying this? I think because he supports MULTIPLE PWE gammes and there may be some of their other MMOs that use .NET for something.

BOTH Champions and STO make use of teh microsoft C++ redistributable packagwe; so yes, if you haven't got that installed, you sould (In fact CO stopped working for me very soon after it's lauch bach in 2009 because I didn't have the latest C++ redistributable installed; and since they both use the Cryptic MMO Engine; STO needs it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Uninstall and reinstall finally did the trick. I don't know what happened in the first place. Computers seem to have a black magic about themselves that no one understands.
Lt. Commander
# 20 loncher crash
01-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I just downloaded the game and it patches fine but when i hit the engage butten it actlikes it starting and the i get cryptic errer:Oops and it has errer ticket id 13296705 i have tried it like 10 times and the same thing every time sorry for the gramer