Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Well they have to make money somehow and selling extra costumes, bank slots, or a reasonable option to subscribe is just fine, but the moment they charge me after I buy that costume to edit or change the characters looks for example like they do in pwi, I buy a costume but I cant edit my character afterwards then there is a serious issue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadenDemonia
Well they have to make money somehow and selling extra costumes, bank slots, or a reasonable option to subscribe is just fine, but the moment they charge me after I buy that costume to edit or change the characters looks for example like they do in pwi, I buy a costume but I cant edit my character afterwards then there is a serious issue.
Something you keep ignoring(even though I already told you in this thread) is that you can trade in game currency for game store currency. That means that regardless of what they put in the C-store, you have a way to earn it without spending any real money.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-17-2012, 07:01 PM
If Paramount/Viacom/CBS et al haven't managed to destroy Star Trek with 40+ years of shameless profiteering, milking the voraciously loyal fanbase with mountains of "collectable" chess sets, collector's plates, and untold thousands of pieces of merchandise and kitschy baubles (Shutlecraft Gallileo Halmark Christmas Ornament anyone?)... I somehow doubt that Perfect World can truly "Destroy" Star Trek Online simply by profiting from it, any more than Simon and Schuster and Pocket Books have destroyed Star Trek publications.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
If Paramount/Viacom/CBS et al haven't managed to destroy Star Trek with 40+ years of shameless profiteering, milking the voraciously loyal fanbase with mountains of "collectable" chess sets, collector's plates, and untold thousands of pieces of merchandise and kitschy baubles (Shutlecraft Gallileo Halmark Christmas Ornament anyone?)... I somehow doubt that Perfect World can truly "Destroy" Star Trek Online simply by profiting from it, any more than Simon and Schuster and Pocket Books have destroyed Star Trek publications.
Plus, people need to remember that CBS has to approve everything that is done to this game from the ships to the costumes to the economy changes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Something you keep ignoring(even though I already told you in this thread) is that you can trade in game currency for game store currency. That means that regardless of what they put in the C-store, you have a way to earn it without spending any real money.
Look, Nagus, I think you keep forgetting that there are quite a few people who do not buy into the line that says the Dilithium Exchange is an in-game means.

All the Exchange does is give us the dilemma of choosing whether we're going to pay real world money, or spend our just-as-precious play time grinding the same old boring dailies we've had for more than a year.

Some of us don't see grinding as an OK thing, or as a grit & bear it cost. For some of us, it's a deal breaking, game ending, brick wall.

So throwing the Dilithium Exchange in our faces is the same as saying "deal with it or quit".

it's not constructive, it just makes people more frustrated and angrier.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Look, Nagus, I think you keep forgetting that there are quite a few people who do not buy into the line that says the Dilithium Exchange is an in-game means.
I did not say "in game means", I said "you have a way to earn it without spending any real money."

Quote:
All the Exchange does is give us the dilemma of choosing whether we're going to pay real world money, or spend our just-as-precious play time grinding the same old boring dailies we've had for more than a year.
Unfortunately every MMO(that I've played) requires you to do the same things over and over to earn the "end game" gear.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Look, Nagus, I think you keep forgetting that there are quite a few people who do not buy into the line that says the Dilithium Exchange is an in-game means.

All the Exchange does is give us the dilemma of choosing whether we're going to pay real world money, or spend our just-as-precious play time grinding the same old boring dailies we've had for more than a year.

Some of us don't see grinding as an OK thing, or as a grit & bear it cost. For some of us, it's a deal breaking, game ending, brick wall.

So throwing the Dilithium Exchange in our faces is the same as saying "deal with it or quit".

it's not constructive, it just makes people more frustrated and angrier.
I'm not even sure what your point is here. You don't want to play to earn things and you don't want to spend money to earn things. So I guess you just want them to give you things?

Every single MMO I have ever played requires you to grind to get the best gear/items in the game. They might call them raids or they might call them something else but it still comes down to grinding - spending your time to earn them.

Your mad there isn't a lot of new content. I agree with you. Most of us are. But that has nothing to do with grinding or the C-Store. If STO has 3 STFS or 10, 6 Dailies or 20, you'd still be grinding to earn the best gear - and 10 STFs and 20 Dailies will eventually feel just as boring ot you as 3 and 6 does.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I'm not even sure what your point is here. You don't want to play to earn things and you don't want to spend money to earn things. So I guess you just want them to give you things?
No, I want to play to earn things.

But I don't want to play the same things, repeatedly, day in and day out, in order to earn one currency to then trade (at a variable rate which is specifically fixed so that it never works in my favor) for another currency in order to then buy what I actually want.

I want to earn a currency at a small rate as I do whatever I decide to do in-game which I can then directly use to buy what I want.

If Dilithium was available as small rewards granted by every mission, every activity, and every Doff assignment, I would be fine with it, so long as it's gated to specific dailies, it's a no-go.

I understand why they gate it to tedious dailies (to encourage C-Point purchases by those, like myself, who can't stand grinding) but I think that's a stupid, greedy reason which should have been shouted down by every employee at Cryptic with half a shred of shame or any desire to serve their customers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
every Doff assignment,
I have yet to notice a Doff assignment that didn't offer Di for a reward if the mission was successfully completed. (and they usually reward quite handsomely for a critical success)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
No, I want to play to earn things.

But I don't want to play the same things, repeatedly, day in and day out, in order to earn one currency to then trade (at a variable rate which is specifically fixed so that it never works in my favor) for another currency in order to then buy what I actually want.
LIke I said, every MMO(that I have played) requires you to do the same things over and over to earn the "end game" gear. You dont get to just earn it however you want. Should you be able to? Sure(at least, I think so). But its just not how the industry ATM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 AM.