Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Tactical, Engineering and Science.

Some are easy. Like Geordi is obviously an Engineer. Data a Science guy. But where would the likes of Troi go? Or even Picard?
I mean Picard was a diplomat, archaeologist and at one point a flight controller. Would he fit best in Tactical? That doesn't sound right .
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I think Picard was a science officer before he became a Captain. I remember an episode in TNG showing him as a Lieutenant in science blues. Data I'm not sure about because he could do just about anything. Troi I think wouldnt really fit into anything, she was just a counselor so if anything she could be science.

Janeway would either be best in the science or tactical role, I think. Can't really place my finger on what The Sisko or Kirk would be.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Sisko oddly enough would probably fit with Engineering. He was in charge of the shipyard that built the Defiant and said he helped design it. How far his help went I couldn't say as they didn't explore his background in that area much... but I wouldn't say he had the expertise was near the level of other Trek Engineers.

Kirk I'd be comfortable with putting him as Tactical. Janeway is a Scientist.

But is it just me or are all the captains... dumb? I mean I don't think we've had a single one who originated from anything but a command line. No Engineers, no amazing Science Officers (if Janeway was ever a Science Officer then always being owned by Harry Kim in sciences makes her not look good at it), nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Data's an odd case -- as an android with a vast knowledge base he's very good at a lot of things, but his official position IIRC is Operations Officer (falls under the Engineering branch of our current DOFF system). Troi (as ship's counselor) would be considered medical by the DOFF system, and thus Science; she also wore the blue Science division uniform once she started wearing a regulation uniform on TNG.

Picard struck me as a Science type myself; remember that when Q gave him the option to avoid getting stabbed through the heart, he wound up as Science division instead of command, and he wound up on that secret mission in Cardassian space (where he got captured, interrogated, and tortured) because he was one of the few people in Starfleet with the scientific background to recognize the supposed Cardassian illegal weapon.

Captain Jellico (who replaced Picard as Enterprise captain in that 2-parter) might be a Tactical captain. Riker might also be Tactical. Worf almost certainly is, although I think he did a short stint in Ops before he took over as Security.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Sisko oddly enough would probably fit with Engineering. He was in charge of the shipyard that built the Defiant and said he helped design it. How far his help went I couldn't say as they didn't explore his background in that area much... but I wouldn't say he had the expertise was near the level of other Trek Engineers.
Actually, because he designed the Defiant, a gun with a pair of engines attached, I'd more put The Sisko in the Tactical field. He was also made an adjunct to Admiral Ross to help plan the war and lead almost all of the major battles during the war.

The Sisko: Tactical
Picard: Science (Watch Tapestry. He wears blue.)
Janeway: Science (Only because they don't wear mage robes)
Kirk: Tactical
Archer: Engineering (Daddy built that engine, after all)

Quote:
But is it just me or are all the captains... dumb?
You've never served in the military as an enlisted man... have you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:

Kirk I'd be comfortable with putting him as Tactical. Janeway is a Scientist.

But is it just me or are all the captains... dumb? I mean I don't think we've had a single one who originated from anything but a command line. No Engineers, no amazing Science Officers (if Janeway was ever a Science Officer then always being owned by Harry Kim in sciences makes her not look good at it), nothing.
Perhaps Janeway started out as Science, but as a captain had to put all her skill points into Tactical and Engineering? :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I understand what you're saying about Sisko. But then... considering him and Data there would have to be hybrids.

Data was also the Science Officer. But his main job was in the Engineering department.

Sisko had some Engineering background but was a great tactician.

Picard... that one episode put him in a blue uniform but we never really see him do science stuff... it's tough...
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Data a Science guy
hes engineer/operations

Quote:
Troi go
science, given that psychiatry would fall under the sciences definition

Quote:
I think Picard was a science officer before he became a Captain. I remember an episode in TNG showing him as a Lieutenant in science blues
that was an alternate reality where he was in a different life

Quote:
The Sisko or Kirk would be.
both are engineers
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Data WAS the Science Officer. He could have worn blue but his Operations Officer was apparently "higher" on the Enterprise so he wore yellow.

Technically Data could easily be both Science and Engineering. Though even with his vast smarts Geordi still was more than a match for him probably due to Geordi's creativity which is an aspect Data has difficulty with.

Data's Operations post was a perfect use of his skills. He was good at details. Geordi would come up with a crazy plan (Data did a lot too to be fair) and Data would connect the dots and help make it a reality.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Captains;
  • Archer = Engineer (had a hand in Enterprise)
  • Kirk = Tactical
  • Picard = Science
  • Janeway = Science
  • Sisko = Engineer (even canon)

XOs;
  • T'Pol = Science
  • Spock = Science
  • Riker = Tactical
  • Chakotay = Tactical
  • Kira = Tactical

'S all I got for now.

Naturally every doctor was sci, every CE was engineering, and ever tac officer was tac.