Lt. Commander
Hello.
Okay so like so many others here I have some major latancy/bandwidth problems when logging onto STO (well trying to log in)

I ran Tracert - I rarely get better scores than 250ms
I ran Nettest - I rarely get better than 40-200 / 5-10 / 40-200

So I have big problems.

I have written to my ISP (last night) requesting them to shorten the mammoth 24 hops from me to the game server.

I also sent them the Nettest results.

But what I don't know is ...is there anything they can actually do. I live in Central Europe ... the server is in Western America?

If they reply and say ..sorry we can't do anything! Are they being honest ... are they being lazy?

Is this completely fixable? or Will I just have to put up with the realities of Geography?

Is there anything I can do? (without having an IT degree.) Are there any programs that I can DL that will tell me which ports are being blocked/used by which programs ... (what does this even mean???)

I have heard talk that if your nettest results are pooh then you might be getting 'filtering' from your system?

Errrr ... huh? what is this and how do I stop it ... heck ... how do I tell if its even happening?

There must be some tech guys out there that can feed some constructive info back into the community.
If Cryptic can't help (afterall they are just the passive end of the chain) Surely there is something we (The end user [us] and our ISP's) can do to sort this problem out.

Rik
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2012, 04:10 AM
On a side note ... To any of the Cryptic support team if your reading ... I'm sure Cryptic could win many many many brownie points if they answer this post successfully and it leads to a happier community.

hint hint hint
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2012, 04:16 AM
actually the servers are on the east coast boston area I believe.
also cryptic support rarily look at thie forums.

from forum menu
PC & Technical Issues

Receive peer to peer support for technical issues in regards to Star Trek Online here! File a support ticket if you need help from the Cryptic Support team.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2012, 04:16 AM
IP ban for the F2P? I cant log into the game as well, Ilive in SEA.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2012, 04:34 AM
The comment about the Support guys was just a way for Cryptic to earn some points.

The people who can really help with this issue should be people with IT dregrees. You know the TECH GURU's out there that make us all wish we nurtured our inner Geek at an early age instead of wasting our lives with popularity and girls.

People who work for Support teams generally have those kinds of qualifications.

So I'd say they are in an ideal position to show us how the pro does things!

(I also pasted the link for this thread into my ticket ... they responded to it a couple of times yesterday so its on someones desk over there. Soooo fingers crossed.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarisX View Post
IP ban for the F2P? I cant log into the game as well, Ilive in SEA.
sorry can't resist ... you live in the SEA? I'd say your problem comes from all the salt water getting into your computer! boom boom!
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Seriously no one has anything constructive to say to help this HUGE section of the community????
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega273
Hello.
Okay so like so many others here I have some major latancy/bandwidth problems when logging onto STO (well trying to log in)

I ran Tracert - I rarely get better scores than 250ms
I ran Nettest - I rarely get better than 40-200 / 5-10 / 40-200

So I have big problems.

I have written to my ISP (last night) requesting them to shorten the mammoth 24 hops from me to the game server.

I also sent them the Nettest results.

But what I don't know is ...is there anything they can actually do. I live in Central Europe ... the server is in Western America?

If they reply and say ..sorry we can't do anything! Are they being honest ... are they being lazy?

Is this completely fixable? or Will I just have to put up with the realities of Geography?
The issue of network topology is a complex qustion...

The number of 'hops' to a destination is dependent on the 'peering' relationship that the ISP has with its Internet backbone providers. And backbone providers have their own peer to peer relationships on how traffic is transfered on the Internet backbone...

In reality, once a packet hits the Backbone providers, there isn't much that can be done to change it, as the peer relationships have already been declared and signed, (and in Europe, much of the Internet backbone is government owned and operated)...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
So what your saying is even if i complain to my ISP they wont be able to do anything about the problem?

So why when I log on at home i have 24 hops

When I check the route at work there is only 11?

Different ISP's have different agreements?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega273
... Different ISP's have different agreements?
Ah-Ha, you have noticed one of the realities of Internet Topologies....