Lt. Commander
# 1 Laptop Fan going crazy
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi,

I just started playing this game on my laptop and the fan of the CPU seems to be on 100% of the time when the game is running. Also, the game doesn't fit into the entire screen. Do you guys think I need to play this on a different machine? Are their any laptops that run this game smoothly?

Here is my laptop:

http://bit.ly/xvnwQk
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2012, 09:25 PM
I tried looking up your system for updated drivers on Toshiba's website, but no luck. Maybe you will have better luck. You may have to to see if AMD has special CPU/APU/GPU drivers for that chipset, and see if they might help.

If you need to update DirectX or your video drivers, that could help.

You can try turning down ALL of the graphic settings for the game, and run it in a lower resolution. Then experiment with the individual graphic settings for the game and see which effects are causing the APU to work really hard.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Laptops are terrible at getting rid of heat. My laptop struggles to run the game, but any laptop with a good video card should be able to handle it.

If you want the fan to run less, try lowering the graphics settings or just live with the noise. The fans are what keeps your computer from overheating. Desktops can cool with larger, quieter fans.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2012, 04:52 AM
I have a Dell XPS 15. I don't have problem on running the game, but I notice an increase on temperature on the PC, as well increase on fan activity. I guess this is just the normal on notebooks. What I do sometimes is have a USB fan plugged and directed to the hot parts. When I do this, I notice that at least the case becomes cooler, so I suppose it must alleviate the over heating inside also. Only disavantage on this is that at least mine is quite noisy.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Yeah I use a Dell XPS 1530 too I can run the game no problem on max settings and yes my fan does work a lot harder also. Also I checked the specs of your comp did you get the 2.4 GHz possessor or the basic 1.5Ghz. Since you are using a laptop like I am, check your power options to see if you are running in High Performance, power saver, or balanced. High Performance will also make your fan run harder but give a smoother game play. What is your screen resolution didnít see it in the specs I run a 1280 x 800 on my laptop monitor it is a base set of 16:10 widescreen so I had to manually select it in the in game options.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2012, 07:12 AM
I'd recommend downloading GPU-Z and TempCore. Pretty much if you want a computer these days that doesn't have these problems playing MMO's you need to invest in a really good coolant system. These ones you can get off the shelf have poor air flow and a little fan that doesn't add up to a hill of beans. I've learned my lesson after the 3rd time LOL to make sure to get a state of the art coolant system when getting my next PC. Another thing to ask someone with this problematic problem is if they upgraded a video card and if they didn't get an ample power supply to go with this it could cause this type of problem too.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Have you tried cleaning out the laptop with a can of air? You would be surprised how many laptops that fixes.