Lt. Commander
I have been on STO since launch and am both a massive Star Trek and MMO fan. I have a life time sub so I will take long breaks from the game and generally come back for feature episodes (when those rarely appear)

I decided in the wee hours of the morning to put STO on my new computer and see how the free to play is going....

My first experience is seeing that yet again they have redone the skill tree. Very upsetting. I greatly dislike ground combat, partly because its not so great in STO and partly because in Star Trek I love ship battles. I always put my skill points in the ship skills because anything in the ground skills is a waste... cant do that anymore.

Then I tried to beam to my ship.... game crashed.

Then lets talk about trying to go into my Ready Room. Well this is the first place I encountered the massive server lag! After running into my door several times, my toon had a mind of its own as it went running around my bridge apparently catching up with all my imputs that weren't happening. This went on for 10 minutes. I decided "Okay lets just go to ESD. Well I was now trapped on my ship as returning to tactical view and even logging off were unresponsive.

Presently I am sitting right in front of the SOL system... I cant turn around... game won't respond. Although when it does 5 minutes later I am somewhere I had no intention of being.

It saddens me that after so long and with so much hope (hand down this is the most supportive, hanging in there community of any MMO I have ever seen) this game is still sadly broken. I know the servers are stressed (although it is 5:23 am EST) but these things need to be expected.

I have been playing since launch another MMO of the SCI FI genre that recently came out which will remain nameless and I dont have one issue with outside of low res character models outside of videos. That is honestly my ONLY complaint. Now I am sure any veteran STO player (using veteran in the warrior sense because we have been through H E Double Hockey Sticks) can probably talk your ear off about issues they have endured and suffered.

I am not saying any of this to merely complain, this is true honest feedback from a launch lifer's first impressions back on STO and wondering if its worth the hard drive space.

Best of luck out there Captains
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2012, 03:40 AM
It doesn't surprise me that you had problems last night. I'm going to guess a lot of people did.

Didn't one of the devs say something about upgrading the server capacity when PW took over? What happened to that?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Another lifer here. I'm absolutely delighted by nearly all the game changes. I'm less happy about how f2p will degrade the game for awhile but can live with it. I haven't had any stability problems.

One of the recent changes was to the DX11 graphics. Might want to make sure all your drivers are current.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm on the East Coast and I did a bit of everything last night. Okay not everything. Some pug STF's. Some chilling on a TOS Connie Bridge. The Cutting the Cord mission with a friend to get him some mines. A pvp challenge match between two Cruisers. There was a lot of "Hold on I'm bringing her about!' on vent. Answered some questions in ESD zone chat. I'm daring like that. Another challenge match. And a couple more STF space missions. Wrapping up about 2 in the morning. All those things went rather smoothly. At times yesterday I did experience the infinite load time when moving onto ESD or DS9. When that occurs I just close the game and restart. I run STO windowed now just for this purpose.

So yes you may want to check up on drivers etc. Sounds technical to me so I'll leave that to the pros.

As an aside I also took part in the launch of the worlds first Massively Multiplayer Online Arcade Game. There's this annoying bit where they expect you to develop some sort of character that is essentially a clone of every other character of your class. Just some seem to be always having bad days and kicking puppies and whatnot. Gets in the way of all the compelling space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
My pc is as up to date as one can be considering I just built the thing 2 weeks ago and installed all the latest drivers and so forth. Game worked beautifully on my old pc which wasn't nearly as powerful (although I was still running with graphics cranked with no issue).

I unfortunately haven't been able to try any of the new features outside of being annoyed with the skill tree. I can see the reasoning behind it, so you have to make choices in what you want, it just seems like waste of points when I never do ground combat.

There is just a steep quality contrast between this and the latest released mmo in December, which shall remain nameless lol . I could actually hear my machine working overly hard trying to rectify the game errors and its a quad core for good sake.

I hope these are all just temporary issues, my only fear is the track record of things getting fixed around here and issues being addressed isn't so hot.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
I played my first game of STO last night since June 2010, and everything seemed to work for the most part.

The only problem I encountered was something which occurred on launch and up until I cancelled, which is that the game sometimes does not record successful space missions to the current mission status, and thus forces you to engage multiple space combats in redundancy.

Other than the above mentioned problem thinks worked flawlessly for me, although I am still adjusting to the major changes in the game between my last play date and now.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Game ran great for me last night and most of the entire day for me yesterday. I did experience some lag spikes but all in all it ran flawless. Little bummed out that there have been 3-5 patches in the last 2 weeks and the horta crafting is still broken. But all in all i have to say that Cryptic was on the ball with the F2P launch and this one (to my shock) went smoother than most the mmo's I have played.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Another lifer here, and I'm delighted with the game changes. It's been stable for me, maybe I missed the launch madness that crushed the servers but I've been playing on and off for the past couple days for sure.