Lt. Commander
# 1 New Star Trek film 2013
01-18-2012, 11:45 AM
just read that Benedict Cumberbatch is going to play Khan in the new star trek film. He plays Sherlock Holmes in the new bbc series in the uk but i dont think he would make a good Khan although i could be wrong but khan in the next film sounds exciting.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
i think you just read that benedict cumberbatch who is in the film for certain is rumoured to play the villain who is rumoured to be khan.

i dont think there is an official confirmation other than he is in it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
People forget that what made Khan KHAN!!! was the history that was there from TOS. Khan in a vacuum will require some serious ret-conning.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Should they really try to redo Khan (in the second movie, what a "coincidence"), I seriously doubt they'll manage to do it while maintaining their claim they are trying to set the new universe apart from the old one.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
he is listed on imdb and a few other sites as khan but is there truth in this
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Why bother with the whole 're-imagining' of the series if all they're going to do is rehash old stories. I guess they just don't have the brain cells to come up with new, original ideas of thier own.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Why bother with the whole 're-imagining' of the series if all they're going to do is rehash old stories. I guess they just don't have the brain cells to come up with new, original ideas of thier own.
I am not sure I follow your logic. Why bother reimagining if you do _not_ want to revisit old stories and characters?

Not that I am convinced doing this particular story is such a great idea. Though - maybe it is not this particular story? Neither the TOS episode nor the Wrath of Khan?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Thought I remembered reading JJ did't want to do khan in his 2nd movie? Personally I think id like to see the mirror universe make an appearance. Or failing that a klingon war since vulcan is gone and the federation lost a good number of ships in the first movie
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am not sure I follow your logic. Why bother reimagining if you do _not_ want to revisit old stories and characters?

Not that I am convinced doing this particular story is such a great idea. Though - maybe it is not this particular story? Neither the TOS episode nor the Wrath of Khan?
Because they created a new parallel universe where events were changed to get a fresh new start. Turning around after that and retelling the same stories with slight little differences would make the restart moot. If it's Kahn in the next one then will the third be a remake of the doomsday machine episode, or maybe Mudd;s Women? To give it a new beginning then fall back to telling the same old stories isn't really anything new at all. It's like when Lucas went back to redo the scene to make it look like Han didn't shoot first. Reruns with pretty new window dressing is still reruns.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2012, 03:15 PM
how the hell are they gonna do Khan when he existed long before the timeline changed? everything that has occurred before the change cannot be changed