Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 1 Bug with Assimilated Defari
01-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Something I noticed again while playing in the Deferi Invasion event last night. When a Deferi civilian in the City zone gets assimilated by the Borg, the character is replaced by an "assimilated Deferi" character, which often bears no relation to the original character. As a result, it's pretty common to see a female Deferi get assimilated and "turn into" a male assimiliated Borg.

Doesn't break gameplay in any way, just mildy amusing to observe.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Can we please try and keep this bug report thread from devolving into crude jokes?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
Can we please try and keep this bug report thread from devolving into crude jokes?
You do have to remember that this is the interwebz we're talkin about...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddude
You do have to remember that this is the interwebz we're talkin about...
Just because some users may be children, does not excuse acting like children.

Star Trek fans should know better than to make jokes at the expense of other people's sexualities. When you make a joke with "transsexual" or "transvestite" as a punchline, you dehumanize such people, and make the same kind of inappropriate joke as if you'd used a racial epithet or slur.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Quote:
^----------- Seldom-followed Truth
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
It wasn't meant as joke, but as way to rationalize the bug without breaking the immersion. We are talking about an alien species we don't know much about, so I don't think anybody could be offended if we make assumptions on what we see. Anyways just to be sure I'm going to send some of my diplomats to defera in order to prevent any misinterpretation.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:

Star Trek fans should know better than to make jokes at the expense of other people's sexualities. When you make a joke with "transsexual" or "transvestite" as a punchline, you dehumanize such people, and make the same kind of inappropriate joke as if you'd used a racial epithet or slur.
I would let the board operators or owners determine what is and is not acceptable on their boards. As you are neither...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelchall
I would let the board operators or owners determine what is and is not acceptable on their boards. As you are neither...
I am however, transgendered, and I do find such jokes deeply offensive. I am not the only transgendered person on these forums, and abuse, belittlement or denigration of people for their sexualities is indeed against the forum rules.

Even if it's "just a joke" even if it's "not about a real person" or "just a little lighthearted fun about a game bug". If an in-game NPC (let's say Sulu) was suddenly replaced by a bug, with an NPC with black skin, it wouldn't be appropriate to start making n-word jokes either.

My post was not an indictment of the original post...but a simple request to those that would follow, to "not go there".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
It wasn't meant as joke
I can see that, but the next post likely would have been, with rapid-fire offensive jokes soon to follow once those that felt like making jokes at the expense of a minority saw that others might be receptive to their "humor". We've seen this kind of bug before (most recently relating to female names for male doffs).. and the threads do end up degrading quickly. It really is a very familiar pattern.. unfortunately.

My hope was to "nip it in the bud" and gently splash a little cold water on tne thread and make them realize that such jokes are not appropriate, and are about real life issues that people struggle with their whole lives. And hopefully remind them that when they joke about it, they are denigrating such people, in the same way that people did when people "just hoke around" using words like q**** f** or n*****.

Had the thread devolved into such jokes, I would have been quite happy to report the thread, and every single offensive post, to the moderation team. But I felt that the community deserved a wake-up-call before their jocularity got them reported.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I prefer to let people put the noose around the necks themselves. I'm a BIG fan of accountability. It's the way I've moderated several other message boards for years. I'll let you do something stupid, but don't be shocked when you get called out, suspended, or banned for doing something stupid.

I appreciate your status, Pod. There's no way I could fully understand it since I am not myself TG, but I empathize with your position and know a few people who are TG, one of whom is transitioning MTF, so I understand the hypersensitivity. I'm hypersensitive to veterans being mistreated, as I am myself a veteran, but I've learned to not immediately assume that one non-stupid thing will lead to stupidity.
Closed Thread