Lt. Commander
# 21
01-19-2012, 09:48 AM
The makers of this game seem more bent on grabbing what they can then driving it off a cliff than any I can recall... It's like they are trying to ruin in two years that which it normally takes five years to ruin...

and I'm very sorry to say that because I love this game, and want to see it flourish...

But at some point you have to open your eyes for a minute or two, and when I do, it's pretty obvious that the only future planned for Star Trek is a fictional one...
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Althrough this does not affect, i am not amused, through.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Why do people get so excited over such a small thing?...

It makes perfect sense to offer the extras included in the Gold subscription as components in the C-Store, that way you can pick and choose what you want. The advantage of getting a Gold sub would be that it is much cheaper than the addition of the overall parts if bought separately.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GookZoid

It makes perfect sense to offer the extras included in the Gold subscription as components in the C-Store, that way you can pick and choose what you want. The advantage of getting a Gold sub would be that it is much cheaper than the addition of the overall parts if bought separately.
It's one little thing in the context of countless other 'one little things'...

I'm a free-to-play advocate... or I was until the past couple of days when the nonsensical wallet driven model started becoming clear... I'm a lifetime subber too, so I don't even have a monthly payment involved...

Frankly, the game was becoming a credit farmers cow.... and Cryptic's answer to that was to to make it so you'd be buying points to buy dilithium in a thinly veiled attempt to just become the credit farmers themselves...

Now they're embracing both, simultaneously... It's getting to where you don't need skill or a love of Star Trek to play this game... you just need a lot of extra time... and above all, a fat wallet... And the makers are the head cheerleaders for that model... It's being turned into a buy stuff, look uber, doff / pokemon hybrid...

I think that's got something to do with it anyway.... *shrug*
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
Yet again, another perfect example of devaluing their whole gold subscription model. I guess this influx of new players expected was well below expected targets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
How does this devalue the gold subscription? You don't have to pay extra. It is included in your sub.
because one of the FEW reasons to sub was to NOT have the limit, now, that's gone. so yes its a clear devaluation of the gold sub.

Its ok though they're very clear that they don't want you to sub, they want to nickel and dime you to death. I say let them, I've removed my credit card information from them, which cancels my sub to CO at the same time because I don't support the STO nickle and dime routine. Consider the fact that it also kills my wife's accounts in CO and STO, so 45.00 a month they no longer have from us and 45.00 another company will get.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GookZoid

actually not true, you can get all the stuff from the gold account now, for a couple of months of sub fees and NEVER pay again, and spend LESS than sub to get MORE points. (this is based off of folks only having the normal amount of characters.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
I ofthen don't chime in the forums but... Wake up guys they made it clear from the start that paying for gold is never going to be worth it. So please stop complaning and go silver and ....

Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Players complained about single captain unlocks (myself included)... cryptic listened and here are players again... complaining.
I've a lifetime sub. I don't benefit one iota from this. I'm all for account wide unlocks. I always felt the single toon unlocks to fall into the nickel and dime money grab schtick.
f2p games die when players trickle off and new players don't see anyone on. Account wide unlocks encourages protracted play.... players feel invested with something that wont go away just because they felt like Playing a different toon ( pun intended)
I'd like more account wide stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
I am not sure this is a good thing or not! I have only at most ever earned 24 million energy credits I do not think the average player ever gains 1 billion energy credits. I am not apposed to the idea of silver players paying for extra perks that we gold players get for free!
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentExeider View Post
it devalues it because its one less thing on the features matrix that is exclusive to gold, and therefore would motivate people to sub up.

that's the whole point of having a silver, or limited access account, if you want to play for free there are LIMITS to what you can do, the whole point is to get you to SUBSCRIBE. Geez Cryptic, didn't you read the F2P manual when you decided to adopt this ridiculous structure in the first place.

Are you trying to put yourselves out of jobs?

At this point, I would say that if Cryptic plans on adding, other account upgrades like this that Gold's should get them automatically, if they make us pay for it, that will be completely unfair.

Like a Dilithium Refining upgrade for example.

-
I think they are trying to put themselves out of a job. There is no reason to subscribe or even to get a lifetime membership.