Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
01-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
because one of the FEW reasons to sub was to NOT have the limit, now, that's gone. so yes its a clear devaluation of the gold sub.
I think you are confusing devaluing incentives for silver players to switch to gold with the devaluing of your subscription as a consumer.

If you actually add up the value of all the benefits you get with a lifetime subscription, I think you will find that it is of greater value than a silver subscription simply because the cost to buy all the benefits of gold membership for a silver account are of lesser value than the cost of a subscription.

If anything, this adds value to a gold account because it is yet another tangible cost for silver players that gold players do not have to pay.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
01-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus01 View Post
I think they are trying to put themselves out of a job. There is no reason to subscribe or even to get a lifetime membership.
I disagree completely. You would spend a lot more than $300 playing this game as a silver player over the next year or two while paying for all the Gold benefits.

There is no reason for a casual subscriber to get a lifetime membership, I agree. For people who play the game a lot, the lifetime membership is still a good deal (assuming the game will be around for at least three years, which I think is likely).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
01-19-2012, 01:33 PM
THANK YOU, I was searching for this in the cryptic store a few days ago. People don't understand that a money limit on specific groups also effects gold members as it hinders the economy of the game (the exchange) and that you need a lot of money to maintain and expand an mmo.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
01-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentExeider View Post
the whole point is to get you to SUBSCRIBE.
No, it isn't. You're looking at the wrong economic model.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
I disagree completely. You would spend a lot more than $300 playing this game as a silver player over the next year or two while paying for all the Gold benefits.

There is no reason for a casual subscriber to get a lifetime membership, I agree. For people who play the game a lot, the lifetime membership is still a good deal (assuming the game will be around for at least three years, which I think is likely).
300, I doubt it. I've not spent a DIME on STO since JUNE. and to be honest, HALF of the "benefits" are easy to get around. A single man fleet gets you all the storage you need for anything not bound to the character.

Consider you may not need all the inventory slots on every toon, or bank slots. I really don't think you'd touch 300 to get the benefits of a gold. Even more so if you're only playing the normal 3 slots. The Vet benefits can be purchased in some cases as well. the ship slots and character slots at least. Titles, this game has a million already.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
300, I doubt it. I've not spent a DIME on STO since JUNE. and to be honest, HALF of the "benefits" are easy to get around. A single man fleet gets you all the storage you need for anything not bound to the character.

Consider you may not need all the inventory slots on every toon, or bank slots. I really don't think you'd touch 300 to get the benefits of a gold. Even more so if you're only playing the normal 3 slots. The Vet benefits can be purchased in some cases as well. the ship slots and character slots at least. Titles, this game has a million already.
You actually inspired me to do a quick back of the napkin calculation.

Just going by the cost of c-store unlocks for silver players, a lifetime account is worth over $700. Now, whether the benefits are worth the money to you is a completely different question.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=249280
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
01-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Actuali ST O is now in hand of P.W. and this is is typical Asia MMO thing. And trust me P.W. are going easy on us yet I em long time player of some IGG MMO games and some others Asia MMO / I like manga and mecha things ) And thing like this can be and must be expected.

So lets brace yourself, Asia stilling isnt so bad by MIO, they have long history in really cool anniversary events
etc ....

Love and Pace
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
01-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
Yet again, another perfect example of devaluing their whole gold subscription model. I guess this influx of new players expected was well below expected targets.
If you want to get angry about it then get angry at ATARI since they got the LIFE TIME MEMBERS cash and set the initial subscription policiy.

They got 50 million cash when they sold to Perfect World.

You really can't blame Cryptic at all since they pretty well have to institute whatever they are told to do.

In fact I would not be surprised to find out that there are very few people left if any at all from the first year who were making policy.

I bought the game from Gamestop and played for a little over 100 days, so I have a whole $100 invested.

I am very happy with the new F2P so far. I have not had to spend a dime.

I got to come back in with a free third character slot and a healthy 8 million energy credits on my account.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentexeider
the whole point is to get you to SUBSCRIBE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausWulfenbach View Post
No, it isn't. You're looking at the wrong economic model.
Right, because having people play for free is really good for the game economy. And more importantly, enabling a person to be able to bypass the C-store by using in game means to do so, thus never paying for the game while enjoying all the "premium" items in the C-store.

the truth is free to play schemes are exactly that schemes, they are a last ditch effort to save a product because the quality of it is not up to what people would pay for. I completely disagree with the statement that "Free to Play economic models" are the inevitable goal or conclusion to a online game, MMOS especially.

the fact is if Cryptic, made their products, in this case STO with quality in mind to begin with, and respect for their community. They wouldn't be in the situation they are.

Yes, the whole point is to subscribe, because that creates a steady cash flow instead of intermittent flow. with Free to play, the devs are completely under the "run away train effect" where in essence they are frantic to lay down more track in front of the train before the train gets there. and the only source of revenue generation is the vaunted C-store, which means more items HAVE to be put in there so that they can generate money to make new things, hire new people. But when they don't have something new in the C-store every month, people buy out what they want and are done, the repeatable purchases are a trickle compared to what they were getting.

The Hybrid model would still work, but they would have to put things in the game that give people a reason to sub up. I have said this before and I will say it again, City of Heroes is perfect model for what I am talking about.

Certain content is Gold level only in that game, along with other features, crafting for example. However the twist is its also tied into the Veteran Reward system, which basically equates to the longer you sub, the more vet time you put in, the more you retain access to when you go silver.

Plus there are certain benefits to being gold, like automatic access to certain content that silvers have to pay for.

the idea of the Free to Play model is to entice people to a "extended demo" of sorts where you can play the game with most of the run of the game save a few features, and further content access, the idea is to entice you sub up to rid yourself of the limitations and to gain a holistic and complete experience. As opposed to the "a la carte" nature of the free players.

-
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
01-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
If you want to get angry about it then get angry at ATARI since they got the LIFE TIME MEMBERS cash and set the initial subscription policiy.

They got 50 million cash when they sold to Perfect World.

You really can't blame Cryptic at all since they pretty well have to institute whatever they are told to do.

In fact I would not be surprised to find out that there are very few people left if any at all from the first year who were making policy.

I bought the game from Gamestop and played for a little over 100 days, so I have a whole $100 invested.

I am very happy with the new F2P so far. I have not had to spend a dime.

I got to come back in with a free third character slot and a healthy 8 million energy credits on my account.
actually I can blame Cryptic, because it was Cryptic that blew an additional 30 million dollars of Atari Development money which forced Atari to demand the 50 million from potential buyers. I'm not saying Atari is squeaky clean in all of this, but according to Atari's yearly financial statements regarding Cryptic, at the height of the subscriber and C-store monies being collected, it still had Cryptic in the hole for 9 million dollars that quarter. this game does not take that much to develop and makes one ask the question exactly what the heck the money was spent on? because it certainly wasn't the game.

-
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.