Lt. Commander
# 11
08-21-2009, 10:42 PM
the borg uni-plex, thats badass
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah I'm hoping that the graphics team is welling to work with this area. I'm not to impressed with this screen shot. Maybe it is meant to be viewed from farther way, but then why are they using a Screen Shot from so close to it. I'm not sure what to think about this new screen shot that the team has decided to show us.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Odd.

On the down side, the scale and lighting of the "city" seem off; it looks a bit too obviously like game artwork rather than a Star Trek-quality technological artifact.

On the plus side, that Akira-class ship, while a bit over-lit, definitely seems to be picking up the color of the ambient lighting (as I've been grumbling about for months now). (In fact, the cube structure is picking up that lighting as well.) Nice! If this is real and not just a false perception on my part, I hope this is just the first of some new ship image captures that have the same sense of drama as that Romulan Valdore image from a few weeks ago -- wow.

Thanks for the new screenshot, Rekhan.

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroth View Post
To be honest, I don't like this.

There are quite a few things wrong with this, if we assume its a borg complex. The cubes are too small, based on the scale of the ship there. The supports are extraneous, and really unnecessary with a borg complex, and same for the giant 100m wide pipes. They make no sense, unless the construction of borg cubes and complexes has changed in the last 30 years of the game. And finally, every cube seems to have a different "decoration" on it, like some artist decided to differentiate them. They are borg. They are not individual or unique!

This is, frankly, a bad picture on those aspects alone. Add in the mysterious diffuse lighting, the lack of contrast, details, bump mapping, and its not so hot on an aesthetic front.

Which is not to say, I don't appreciate you doing this Rekhan, but it just wasn't the best to show off! I do appreciate this.
On the one hand: http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads...be/320x240.jpg

On the other hand http://startrekonline.com/dyncontent...2109_01_wm.jpg

I think the second looks really good, since that's not a cube. It's just something, possibly Borg... and it looks perfectly practical and mechanical and possibly a little random, but in Borg-useful-like-randomness.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-21-2009, 11:46 PM
This is either a really poor excuse for a borg complex or Romulans or some other non-borg (or not associated with a collective set of borg) using borg technology.

No matter what though, that ship is screwed.

This shot worries me...I prefer seen the picture on Zinc's twitter that shows a ship flying through space and has the current UI elements on it and everything...
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyer_Lansky
the borg uni-plex, thats badass
If anyone is going to burst your bubble, it better be a fleet-mate

General consensus is that it's not borg, just similar.

I think a bunch of non-borg nanites or exo-comps went crazy. Borg should have something more menacing and larger, otherwise they'd be the same laughing stock as in Voyager
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I've just thought maybe it's the discovery of Romulan and Borg technology for the Federation? Looks like a meld of the two, and goes with the Romulan ship class posted a couple months ago. Or someone just playing with continually-updating textures and such. I do like the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-22-2009, 12:23 AM
I really don't think its Borg. We've seen screenies of the Borg and cryptic was bang on with the look of them so why would they suddenly mess up some random space city. Have faith that they know what they're doing.

I honestly have no idea what it is but I'm happy because of it. We, as ST fans, get to see something new and not just a rehash of things we've seen before.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Perhaps would care to gather some info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The text at the bottom of the screenshot says:
"Exploring a strange new space city "
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Cool, I would love to infiltrate a unicomplex in a mission.
Closed Thread