Lt. Commander
The title says it all. Did you love or hate Enterprise, and why?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Not the best forum for this.

Anyways; neither.

I thought the writing was horrifically inconsistent, and feel like that's why the reactions to it tend to be strongly polarized.

You had great episodes, and "oh please. not five more minutes of THIS" episodes.

That's never healthy for a series.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
neither. i liked it for the most part but there were some weak eps and its not my favourite trek but its ok.

I never really enjoyed the characters that much. stories were fine, characters did not grab me in the same way as picard, data, odo, quark, paris did etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2012, 07:50 AM
TNG is best trek IMO.
I disliked Enterprise, it did';t feel like star trek.

Also, I was F2P for one day and now I have a sub.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2012, 08:06 AM
I agree with @Jonathan_Kent. Some episodes were awesome, some not so much. I loved the Mirror Universe two-parter.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2012, 08:12 AM
I actually thought it was one of the strongest shows toward the end. I'd put the last two seasons second only to DS9 on my list.

Early on it had its moments, but it didn't really shine until the 3rd of 4th season. The last episode was utter crap though.

Frankly, I think the show might have done better had it not had Brandon Braga as a writer early on. I think there are much stronger ST writers than Braga.

I do think the acting in general was much better than the other shows. TV acting seems to have improved a great deal between the late 80s and the 00s. I mean, the acting in the first season or two of TNG was really quite bad. The characters on Enterprise felt more like real people to me, right from the start.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Enterprise was the best Star Trek series.

I make this statement understanding that its execution may have suffered in one episode versus another, and the fact that it was being aired by the horribly inconsistent UPN didn't help it either. Enterprise's single biggest flaw was that it advertised itself in the build up to its launch as "a return to the original series", when it was nothing of the sort.

It was a maturation of Star Trek, in a way. A continuation of the seriousness of Deep Space 9, reapplied to the original concept of exploring the final frontier. In many ways, it was the little touches. Say what you will about certain charatcers -- there will be no argument that characters like Hoshi and Mayweather were one-trick ponies and horribly unused. But where Enterprise shined, it shined extremely brightly.

I will make the case any day of the week that Archer was the best Captain. The Captain of each show had their own style -- Picard the diplomat, Kirk the adventurer, Janeway the ... lunatic ... but Archer was always first and foremost an explorer. From the Enterprise's launch, he could be entertained endlessly by nothing more than charting a new comet. But even beyond that was his dynamism: he's introduced to the audience as a raving racist: despising the Vulcans and everything they stood for (because in his mind, everything they stood for stood between humanity and its destiny). The course of the series took Archer from such ugly beginnings, shattered his resolve as a peace-loving explorer by forcing him into war and potential genocide, and then built him back up again as the man who knew better than anyone how to set differences aside and unite multiple species into a peaceful Coalition of Planets that would eventually become the Federation. His journey was required so he could ultimately accomplish that, and no other Captain in Star Trek displays such a path of betterment on screen or gives hope for the average viewer to better himself.

Without Enterprise, Andorians would still have stiff antennaes coming out of the top of their heads and ... god forbid, Andorian women would have 6 breasts (fandom is a scary thing), Tholians would still be floating crystal heads, there would be no Aenar, the MACO wouldn't be around, and we'd still be wondering what happened to the Klingon's ridges.

And come on. Everyone has to agree that the fourth season was by far some of the best Star Trek episodes to ever be put on screen!

Need more Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
Enterprise was the best Star Trek series.

I make this statement understanding that its execution may have suffered in one episode versus another, and the fact that it was being aired by the horribly inconsistent UPN didn't help it either. Enterprise's single biggest flaw was that it advertised itself in the build up to its launch as "a return to the original series", when it was nothing of the sort.

It was a maturation of Star Trek, in a way. A continuation of the seriousness of Deep Space 9, reapplied to the original concept of exploring the final frontier. In many ways, it was the little touches. Say what you will about certain charatcers -- there will be no argument that characters like Hoshi and Mayweather were one-trick ponies and horribly unused. But where Enterprise shined, it shined extremely brightly.

I will make the case any day of the week that Archer was the best Captain. The Captain of each show had their own style -- Picard the diplomat, Kirk the adventurer, Janeway the ... lunatic ... but Archer was always first and foremost an explorer. From the Enterprise's launch, he could be entertained endlessly by nothing more than charting a new comet. But even beyond that was his dynamism: he's introduced to the audience as a raving racist: despising the Vulcans and everything they stood for (because in his mind, everything they stood for stood between humanity and its destiny). The course of the series took Archer from such ugly beginnings, shattered his resolve as a peace-loving explorer by forcing him into war and potential genocide, and then built him back up again as the man who knew better than anyone how to set differences aside and unite multiple species into a peaceful Coalition of Planets that would eventually become the Federation. His journey was required so he could ultimately accomplish that, and no other Captain in Star Trek displays such a path of betterment on screen or gives hope for the average viewer to better himself.

Without Enterprise, Andorians would still have stiff antennaes coming out of the top of their heads and ... god forbid, Andorian women would have 6 breasts (fandom is a scary thing), Tholians would still be floating crystal heads, there would be no Aenar, the MACO wouldn't be around, and we'd still be wondering what happened to the Klingon's ridges.

And come on. Everyone has to agree that the fourth season was by far some of the best Star Trek episodes to ever be put on screen!

Need more Enterprise.
You said it. I've taken soo much crap from people because I feel that Enterprise was the best overall series. It's too bad it was cut so short.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2012, 08:28 AM
i thought the concept was excellent, but the execution was lousy.

I always felt it began the wrong way, got better towards the middle, then dropped off a cliff as they tried to shoehorn the Xindi in.

It could have been so much better had they used it to explain inconsistencies and contradictions in the canon, instead it was used to bludgeon us over the head with how judgmental and stubborn humans are when faced with other cultures.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Should have focused more on stuff like : Forming the Federation (Andorians, Vulcans), Klingon Conflict, Romulan Conflict
instead of Temporal Cold War and the whole Xindi Stuff .... thought that was kind of stupid ....
=> the 4th Season was imho the best ...