Lt. Commander
# 1 Can you REALLY play for free?
01-18-2012, 08:06 AM
I used to play this game when it was still a sub based MMO, interested in logging back in now that it's free. Looking at the f2p matrix it looks good.

But just wanted to check with the more experienced and knowledgeble crowd and see if one is truly able to play free without needing to buy anything for real money. I know a lot of f2p MMO are no fun to play if you don't buy some of the stuff in the store or they will limit content that you have access to.

This one seems like it doesn't do all the bad stuff from other f2p MMO, but maybe someone can shed more light on it for me?

Thanks, greatly appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Yes, you can play for free. You never need to purchase anything from the C-Store - the game plays just as well with stock ships as it does C-Store versions. You can, while playing, even earn Dilithium - which you can then sell for Cryptic Points to buy things from the C-Store without ever having to spend any of your own money.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Login, play, see for yourself. You've got nothing to lose but your time, if you dislike it. If you spend money, you'll get an edge, but it's not needed. It'll just be a little less convenient for a Silver player.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2012, 08:23 AM
The BIG question is how long will this remain true?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2012, 08:34 AM
all content is free with no exceptions. that will probably remain the case as that is how PW do business. although you can never say never as anything can happen in the future but you can play and enjoy everything for free.

the dilithum exchange is also great for letting you earn the points although it will take a while to earn enough points.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2012, 08:37 AM
The game is truly free so long as you avoid the C-Store. The moment you exchange dilithium for C-Store points, the game ceases to be free as someone had to fork over cash for those C-Store Points. So it may still stay free for you, but as the saying goes, "There is no such thing as a free lunch."
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
The game is truly free so long as you avoid the C-Store. The moment you exchange dilithium for C-Store points, the game ceases to be free as someone had to fork over cash for those C-Store Points. So it may still stay free for you, but as the saying goes, "There is no such thing as a free lunch."
Actually Gold members get CPs for free, and I often sell mine on the DE as I generally have no use for them. So no, not everyone is forking over cash for them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
"There is no such thing as a free lunch."
Well stop declining my lunch invitations.

Sheesh... I even offer free desserts.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-18-2012, 09:05 AM
The C-store has better ships than most of the standard tier 1-4 progression in-game, but they're not THAT much better, the stock ships are better than what you need, and you'll be out of them quickly.

They all get special powers you can use at endgame, but again, they didn't buff enemies to make those extra powers necessary and even on elite the game was manageable enough before these powers even existed - and you have to sacrifice stats on your console slots to use them, so they're not pure gain.

STFs you might have an easier time with one or two of those console powers, but not THAT much easier, the very nature of STF design means that it usually boils down to dealing and mitigating damage. The point defense console is nice, but not nice enough that I kept it around. MVAM is nice, but the cooldown means I often don't even get to use it on every STF I run. The Defiant-R's cloak is nice, but you can regularly spend entire STFs without leaving combat so you never get to recloak after one ambush. The Gladius afterburner is nice, but what it does can be done with minor drawbacks with full impulse and deuterium surplus.

Inventory expansion is overrated when you have a vendor actually attached to your inventory window and can dispose of excess items on the fly. The 100 doff capacity is plenty for what you'll ever need, more is only really a convenience to make it easier to decide who to keep and dismiss. Silver's boff slots are limiting in terms of changing ships but not crippling.

PVP's probably the closest thing to a pay wall, since little conveniences can become big advantages. My consoles haven't helped me be any less terrible and it's not like there hasn't always been a solid number of Sovereigns still around despite the Excelsior's advantages.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Not only can you play for free, but as a returning former subscriber you'll still have everything you had when you last played (same number of inventory slots, bank slots, officer slots, ship slots) which can put you way ahead of a brand new f2p player without spending any money to buy them.