Lt. Commander
# 11
01-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
Yeah, its the retain tokens is where they get you. But thats the rub, most folks don't use them. I did the same type of calculation when F2P was anounced and I think I found an LTS only saves you about 80 bucks vs a silver who buys ala carte. But that was before the gold to silver rules were anounced.

My conclusion at the time was an LTS is only worth it if you roll more then 5 toons.

And USS-Tiberius has a good point, We've seen services in the C-store get discounted 50%. And for sure we'll see a 20% sale soon enough. No one needs to buy 5 retains or all the gold perks in one shot. A silver could easily play fine for now then pick up the perks when they go on sale.
I thought about that too, but Cryptic regularly does 20% lifetime subscription sales, so it evens out.

Based on my understanding of the conversion process, I am not certain exactly what you lose and what you keep. It seems, from what I have read, that you only get to keep some gold benefits and only if you earned them while they were gold. So, for instance, a silver player that converts to gold and then back to silver is not necessarily going to see any more inventory or bank slots.

I want to minimize the assumptions, and if silver players get to keep things like bank slots and retrain tokens that they earn leveling up as a gold, that requires a huge assumption about how many months it takes someone to level up a character. It is worth noting that if you power level while gold, you might get many of these benefits for only $15. However, that is a very big if.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-21-2012, 05:47 AM
As a new player, I was wondering... what exactly do you receive if you purchase the lifetime subscription?

I've seen this: http://www.startrekonline.com/lifetime

No subscription fee: Play without a monthly fee forever! - THIS is useless now with F2P
The Liberated Borg character species: Play as an escaped member of the Hivemind. - Is this cool? Or is it just a character being a borg... with no story or whatsoever?
The Captain's Table - A special area restricted to lifetime subscribers and longtime STO veterans. - This being a bit vague on not telling me what this exactly IS
Exclusive costume option - An insignia available only to lifetime subscribers. Just visit a tailor in-game to add it to your current captain. - Seems a bit useless...just a decorative item?
"Career Officer" title - Show off that you're committed to Starfleet or the KDF for the duration. - Same as the costume option? ...just a decorative item?
Forum goodies - Change the color of your username and show off a special title. - seems pointless if ur not really a forum person...

And ive seen your post, do you get all those things?
I mean, that info seems more useful than the "info" on the lifetime page...
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-21-2012, 05:56 AM
Yes basically as you say most stuff is pretty useless in a F2P model. The liberated Borg is just purely cosmetic apart from a few traits which are otherwise unattainable. The captains table is a space station accessible from earth orbit or Qo'nos orbit (its in the aenir nebula, the big blue cloud thing you see if you look around space) and contains slightly better decor and a few less vendors than ESD.

The one part you are missing off the perk chart for lifetimers is the 400 points a month stipend, so if you come and go it will keep building up for you. Some folks say this stipend is too small but personally I have no issues as I have not spent one yet since they were released and if i were to take a hiatus then it would still keep building up while I am away.

the lifetime is still a personal choice as it all depends on what you want out of the game. If you wish to stay over a long period of time and try out all the classes on all the factions then lifetime is the way to go. If you only play casually on one character of each faction then just buy as you go is maybe better for you. Of course we do not know yet if a third faction will be released, in which case many of us older folks will still want to make another three characters and buy lots of ship goodies. Being a lifer with an accumulated stipend would certainly help with this.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-21-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm trying to find out how he came to lifetimers get 7 slots without buying any in the C-Store.

They get 3 like any gold does. 1 at the 300 day vet reward and another at the 700 day. So where does the other 2 come from?
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
1. All currently listed veteran rewards will be received.
That's the thing, isn't it? You will NOT get all currently listed veteran rewards until you have played for 1000 days. Which really made the whole thing pointless.

I actually considered buying LTS when it was on discount but then I thought: Why?
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-21-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawieboy
As a new player, I was wondering... what exactly do you receive if you purchase the lifetime subscription?

No subscription fee: Play without a monthly fee forever! - THIS is useless now with F2P
The Liberated Borg character species: Play as an escaped member of the Hivemind. - Is this cool? Or is it just a character being a borg... with no story or whatsoever?
The Captain's Table - A special area restricted to lifetime subscribers and longtime STO veterans. - This being a bit vague on not telling me what this exactly IS
Exclusive costume option - An insignia available only to lifetime subscribers. Just visit a tailor in-game to add it to your current captain. - Seems a bit useless...just a decorative item?
"Career Officer" title - Show off that you're committed to Starfleet or the KDF for the duration. - Same as the costume option? ...just a decorative item?
Forum goodies - Change the color of your username and show off a special title. - seems pointless if ur not really a forum person...

Captain's Table is just a glorified ESD without all the crowds. It looks nice for a zone but everything that's functional there can be found on ESD.

Forum title is all the blue names you see. So you can see what the forum title does. Hey, if someone has a LTS but can't use the forum because he was framed by a Cryptic person who edited something on the account then banned for the edit put there, can that person get their money back?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-21-2012, 07:36 AM
You get most of the benefits already for subscribing one month and paying just 15$, well afaik the alienware promotion keys are still usable, so you might even get it for free... thus I wouldn't recommend anybody more than subscribing for one single month; at least unless they want to donate money to perfect world.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirlettia
Yes basically as you say most stuff is pretty useless in a F2P model. The liberated Borg is just purely cosmetic apart from a few traits which are otherwise unattainable. The captains table is a space station accessible from earth orbit or Qo'nos orbit (its in the aenir nebula, the big blue cloud thing you see if you look around space) and contains slightly better decor and a few less vendors than ESD.

The one part you are missing off the perk chart for lifetimers is the 400 points a month stipend, so if you come and go it will keep building up for you. Some folks say this stipend is too small but personally I have no issues as I have not spent one yet since they were released and if i were to take a hiatus then it would still keep building up while I am away.

the lifetime is still a personal choice as it all depends on what you want out of the game. If you wish to stay over a long period of time and try out all the classes on all the factions then lifetime is the way to go. If you only play casually on one character of each faction then just buy as you go is maybe better for you. Of course we do not know yet if a third faction will be released, in which case many of us older folks will still want to make another three characters and buy lots of ship goodies. Being a lifer with an accumulated stipend would certainly help with this.
Wow, people still think after almost 2 years they will release a third faction? When klingons still aren't a fully fleshed out faction.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
You get most of the benefits already for subscribing one month and paying just 15$, well afaik the alienware promotion keys are still usable, so you might even get it for free... thus I wouldn't recommend anybody more than subscribing for one single month; at least unless they want to donate money to perfect world.

I added a retail version before trying adding the alienware key (on the same day btw) , and after contacting PWE support, they just said to me, yep, you cant have the extras from the alienware key, coz you entered the retail first... /end of help

SOooo... then I wanted maybe the Lifetime subscription, but looking at what it is, I dunno...seems a bit expensive for not getting anything "exclusive" (well except for the borg thingie) ...Unless they make it a bit more special, I doubt i'm going for the Lifetime offer.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawieboy

The real value is the vet rewards as you have to subscribe to get them and you'd have to subscribe for 34 months (lifetime is a cheap way to sub for 34 months) to get all of them and a couple hundred dollars worth of inventory/bank/bridge officer slots (because they're accountwide, it works out to more the more active characters you have), plus 400 C-Points every month for life. They've also discussed adding subscriber perks and, at one point, seemed interested in giving subbers extra talent points as an option, meaning that any imbalances down the road will likely favor gold players or people who spend big and the free C-Points help towards that.

I don't think it's for everyone. I do think if you plan on lots of alts and you wouldn't sweat spending $300, it's worth considering.

I'm not sure I would do it under the current setup but someone like Terrilyn from PodcastUGC who doesn't seem too inconvenienced by blowing a few hundred bucks, well... If you're between spending $300 immediately on the C-Store or this, this is the more sound option.