Lt. Commander
# 21
01-21-2012, 09:24 AM
I will add that the final round of vet rewards like the android is sweet. It's a pretty imbalanced BO. I'm sure the Mugato pet and ship will be just as nice. The costumes are pretty sweet.

Weigh it in terms of the vet rewards, really, understanding that you'll get all of them.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm a lifer and I want everything cause I'm greedy and selfish, plus I got the lifetime when it was 199, and I got every pre-order that existed... even with that though, it was worth it to me, and I have enjoyed that and the countless dollars dropped for the new wallet-bait of the week ship and stuff...

I wouldn't recommend a lifetime sub to anyone now that free accounts exist... because your average player doesn't want or need everything... and they can buy anything they want if they *really* want it...

Heck I'm deleting two-year old characters even though I'm not near my slot limit because there is just no need for all of them and I don't want to feel obliged to log in just to doff level them...

I'm an obsessive freak with money and a career... I don't regret my lifetime sub or the bazillions of points I've bought since, but I wouldn't recommend either of them to a soul... That's the conundrum of this whole "It's not good enough to pay for" strategy Cryptic adopted... For those of us who felt it was, we have the choice of feeling used, or playing happily...

But if anyone knew that Cryptic didn't even value the game enough to make people pay for it after a mere two years (young for an MMO), would we have felt the same?
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirlettia
The one part you are missing off the perk chart for lifetimers is the 400 points a month stipend, so if you come and go it will keep building up for you. Some folks say this stipend is too small but personally I have no issues as I have not spent one yet since they were released and if i were to take a hiatus then it would still keep building up while I am away.
I did not mention the stipend simply because I am trying to keep the assumptions to a minimum and just list the value of what gold/lifetime members receive were they to be purchased separately. I do not know how many months current lifetime subscribers will receive their stipends. It could be twelve. It could be 100. It could be for the rest of their lives (in which case, I would have to make an assumption about how old and healthy players are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
That's the thing, isn't it? You will NOT get all currently listed veteran rewards until you have played for 1000 days. Which really made the whole thing pointless.
I am uncertain how that is pointless. I think it very likely that if someone is going to buy a lifetime membership, they are planning to play for the life of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
You get most of the benefits already for subscribing one month and paying just 15$, well afaik the alienware promotion keys are still usable, so you might even get it for free... thus I wouldn't recommend anybody more than subscribing for one single month; at least unless they want to donate money to perfect world.
My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that you do not get to keep any benefits for subscribing for one month. My understanding is that if you level up a character while gold, you probably will be able to keep many of the benefits (retrain tokens, ship tokens, extra slots), so it is worth mentioning; however, it would require me making an assumption about how long it takes people to level up a character. Some hard-core players may be able to level up seven characters in a month while others may take five years. Since I am keeping the assumptions to a minimum, I am just going to point out that alternative to saving money and (maintaining a subscription whenever you level) leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
I'm trying to find out how he came to lifetimers get 7 slots without buying any in the C-Store.

They get 3 like any gold does. 1 at the 300 day vet reward and another at the 700 day. So where does the other 2 come from?
Three gold slots + two lifetime slots + two veteran slots = seven slots (and a Foundry slot).
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
II am uncertain how that is pointless. I think it very likely that if someone is going to buy a lifetime membership, they are planning to play for the life of the game.
Then you are talking about investing $300 for 3 years and NOT buying $300 worth of benefits right now which is completely different. There's no guarantee that the game will last 3 years or that the benefits will stay the same.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Then you are talking about investing $300 for 3 years and NOT buying $300 worth of benefits right now which is completely different. There's no guarantee that the game will last 3 years or that the benefits will stay the same.
Like I said, I am trying to keep the assumptions to a bare minimum. I am just going by what Cryptic is stating lifetime members will receive and their c-store value. I am not going to try to guess how long the game will be around or what rewards or benefits Cryptic might offer past 1000 days.

I am only interested in listing the value of all c-store items that Cryptic claims you will receive if you purchase a lifetime membership.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
Give it time...the way things are going all the "so called" perks for gold will end up in the C-Store as an ala carte option.
This has always been the case with this developer.

Look at the prelaunch special items that were only available with select retailers.

Some of those are now in the store.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
This has always been the case with this developer.

Look at the prelaunch special items that were only available with select retailers.

Some of those are now in the store.
And the forums will erupt in flames when that happens.

Honestly though, it will not bother me too much. The items are exclusive, not limited. Exclusive means that, at the time of sale, those are the only way to obtain the items. It does not mean that the exclusivity is limited.

Cryptic is all about making money, like any business. They introduce a premium exclusive item, then when everyone who is willing to pay for it dries up, they make it generally-available and introduce a new exclusive item.

That is what happened to the Galaxy X, the photonic bridge officer, the Captain's table, and the photonic tribble. That will likely happen to the liberated borg BO and maybe the android and the space yeti as well.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:

Three gold slots + two lifetime slots + two veteran slots = seven slots (and a Foundry slot).
http://www.startrekonline.com/lifetime

Does not say anything about lifetime slots. So where is that information?
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-21-2012, 06:17 PM
They could increase tokens cap to 500 or 600...

then people will be in the forum asking for 1000 per month. 400 is fine, add your earned c-store credits to it and you should manage to get a ship per month. If your not playing that often to make enough dil to buy them, why even bother about the stipend it wouldn't be like you fly all the ships anyway?

400 is fine.

Great post though, nice idea.

No one should be silver if they play for 2-3 weeks. That obviously shows they like the game, it's not expensive. A kid can pay for it with a paper round.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
I would, but I am not really all that clear on the process of gold-to-silver conversions as Cryptic has not published them and I am not going to do empirical research. If someone wants to provide an explicit point-by-point explanation of the conversion process, I might take a look at that.

Just for instance, if you use your third slot as a gold member then convert to silver and delete that character, do you lose the slot or do you keep it?

If you have a VA and switch to gold, do you get more inventory slots or do you have to be gold when you hit each level to get the slot?

As for your other suggestion, I am not interested in guessing about what an "average" person would do. I am simply interested in calculating what the value of a gold/lifetime membership is.

If someone can, with certainty, explicitly state everything you get by simply going gold for a month (not leveling up a character as gold, just subscribing for a month) that you get to keep, I might consider redoing the calculation.
I'm gold-to-silver and I still have my character slots. Only slot I lost was the Foundry slot I never used. So meh.