Lt. Commander
# 11
01-25-2012, 05:02 PM
OK, I've been doing a little more testing on this, since I wanted to check out the correlation between "Starship Threat Control" and "Starship Hull Plating". My earlier testing suggested there were diminishing returns involved and I wanted to get a handle on them.

For the test I used a Fed Engineer char flying an Assault Cruiser that had no armour loaded on it. I repeatedly moved skill points between the above two skills, dumping any spare points into "Starship Sensors" as I figured that skill should not affect damage resist.

Results as follows:

0-3 points to spend
Threat Control=0 Hull Plating=0 =2%
Threat Control=3 Hull Plating=0 =6.9%
Threat Control=0 Hull Plating=3 =9.2%

6 points to spend
Threat Control=6 Hull Plating=0 =9.4%
Threat Control=0 Hull Plating=6 =12.7%
Threat Control=3 Hull Plating=3 =13.4%

9 points to spend
Threat Control=9 Hull Plating=0 =10.6%
Threat Control=0 Hull Plating=9 =14.4%
Threat Control=6 Hull Plating=3 =15.6%
Threat Control=3 Hull Plating=6 =16.6%

12 points to spend
Threat Control=9 Hull Plating=3 =16.6%
Threat Control=3 Hull Plating=9 =18.1%
Threat Control=6 Hull Plating=6 =18.6%

As can be seen, if you have 3 or less points to spend, put them in Hull Plating, as it gives you the highest damage resist. However, if you have more than 3 points to spend, it becomes more useful to split your points between both skills, ensuring you always have Hull Plating equal to or greater than Threat Control.

All this of course, assuming the figures don't change before it hits holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Also don't forget that threat control means you should also be drawing more aggro and taking more damage, so unless that is a desired effect, going more into hull plating may work out to be effectively more efficient at accruing total DR.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
Also don't forget that threat control means you should also be drawing more aggro and taking more damage, so unless that is a desired effect, going more into hull plating may work out to be effectively more efficient at accruing total DR.
You make a valid point, however I was thinking mainly from a PvP point of view, where NPC threat generation is largely irrelevant. If you do a lot of PvE, you may not wish to have the extra threat generation, particularly where the Borg are concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2012, 04:27 AM
Hence why I think we need an active trhead control that will work in PvE and ,yes, also in PvP to have actual tanks.

Because that's what the skill is for.

The additional resistance as a crutch in PvP is not what the skill is meant for.

You are better of putting the extra skill into more DPS if we never get a useful, active tank/aggro ability.

Of course, the eternal optimist that I am, and imagine that I at least in PvE have some skill in pulling aggro over time I actually put significant points there.

Devs, please prove me right in the end.