Lt. Commander
# 11
01-19-2012, 10:01 PM
The good thing about the maintenance is that I finish work right when it ends
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-19-2012, 10:24 PM
They forgot to change the warp coil plasma inductors, while the triphasing device is getting a full reboot. Probably they remembered to repair the transphasic modulators in the subspace macrofield generator.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
really? thats funny, last time I checked I have a degree in it.
it may come as some surprise to you then that internal testing is supposed to be done beforehand. particularly capacity testing, latency testing and testing to see if the hardware you're using in itself is up to the task of handling the general load you are expecting it to have. have you not heard of logical estimates? when you've got a system setup like cryptic has it shouldn't be that hard to get a general idea of its capacity or its limitations. there were considerable problems with lag, timeouts and all that unpleasant stuff long before now - going back to beta. so you can't tell me they had no idea what they were getting into.
There's also the matter that whoever is deciding budget allocations likely said "We will pay only for so much hardware upgrades and no more", so the capacity may not have expanded as much as the demand load has.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredCasden
The good thing about the maintenance is that I finish work right when it ends
See I thought that yesterday... then the snapped in a bonus one after I had startedan elite STF. Moaning, well a little bt, but if I had any sense I would have bailed on that mission rather than facing the inevitable defeat of the server going down whilst that rotten b***h Dontara was hiding on 20% health!
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
really? thats funny, last time I checked I have a degree in it.
As do I as well as 25 or so years of hands on IT experience (from back in the RG58 cable and token ring days) - and from your comments you could have fooled me.

Quote:
oh really now? REALLY?

it may come as some surprise to you then that internal testing is supposed to be done beforehand. particularly capacity testing, latency testing and testing to see if the hardware you're using in itself is up to the task of handling the general load you are expecting it to have. have you not heard of logical estimates? when you've got a system setup like cryptic has it shouldn't be that hard to get a general idea of its capacity or its limitations. there were considerable problems with lag, timeouts and all that unpleasant stuff long before now - going back to beta. so you can't tell me they had no idea what they were getting into.

the current situation is very strong evidence that cryptic was not ready, in terms of its infrastructure and hardware to open the floodgates. they were having enough problems with it before. it would have been far better to delay the transition and set themselves up properly to handle it. as it stands, this is just another indication of poor judgement on cryptics part. they dropped the ball
If you've ever worked in te REAL woorld with regard to Enterprise networks, internal teting can get you some usable data; but if once you open it to the real world if you get more traffic (which is good in the long run) then expected, you expand and tweak as you go, and that's probably what's occuring here.

They've had a couple of small unexpected server dumps since F2P went fully public, but overall, the servers have been stable for the vast majority of users (myself included - aka to lag issues or disconnection issues. It's not a flawless launch, but overall given (by the number of active ESD SFA and other instances, they've seen a 10 fold increase in usage at peak times, they have done fairly well.

Again, if you know your expected load (IE you're working in a closed corporate enviroment and know the amount of users/devvices to expect) - internal load testing is easier. When you're dealing with just allowing the world at large to come banging on your metwork, it's harder to predict what your server load will be.

Cryptic certainly has done better than SOE did recently with their F2P launch of DCUO.

But hey, they can't win in either case as I'm sure had they not had load issues, you'd claim it's because they didn't get a lot of new players, etc; and going F2P was a big mistake.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-20-2012, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtr
They forgot to change the warp coil plasma inductors, while the triphasing device is getting a full reboot. Probably they remembered to repair the transphasic modulators in the subspace macrofield generator.
That's crazy! You can't do that without first recalibrating the Theta-Matrix Compositor using rebooted Heisenberg Compensators.
Otherwise this would create a failure in the Space Matrix Restoration Coil which would in turn shortcircuit the Main Stage Flux Chiller, blowing up Cryptic Headquarters in its entirety.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-20-2012, 02:37 AM
stop spending all the money u making thu cash shop on developing other cash shop items and fix servers stop with the stop gap repairs will help.if u gonna do maintence every do do it in middle of nite not in muiddle of day.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-20-2012, 02:52 AM
oh how i love those forum posts with kids fighting each other.. looks like someone has nothing else to do.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidfu View Post
stop spending all the money u making thu cash shop on developing other cash shop items and fix servers stop with the stop gap repairs will help.if u gonna do maintence every do do it in middle of nite not in muiddle of day.
It is night/early morning where the servers are located.
Cryptic's statistics have shown this time of day to be the time with the least amount of players online.

So if you want maintenance to be done at a different time, get lots and lots of your European friends to play STO.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
So if you want maintenance to be done at a different time, get lots and lots of your European friends to play STO.
That's really not a fair thing to say, and you know it.
Closed Thread