Lt. Commander
# 31 Bring on the Maintenance!
01-20-2012, 05:50 AM
You guys are awfully harsh for STO being down for *one* hour this day during the week of F2P. Yes, it's been undergoing maintenance almost every day, but would you rather have an unannounced and unexpected server crash that takes several hours to get back on? No thanks, I remember Series 3 from February 2011 all too well.

STO is dealing with the largest numbers of players it has ever had thanks to F2P launch and I've been happy with how stable things have been. It was orders of magnitude rougher during the game's launch two years ago and it seems the F2P preparation and server upgrades have not been in vain.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
That's crazy! You can't do that without first recalibrating the Theta-Matrix Compositor using rebooted Heisenberg Compensators.
Otherwise this would create a failure in the Space Matrix Restoration Coil which would in turn shortcircuit the Main Stage Flux Chiller, blowing up Cryptic Headquarters in its entirety.
Careful, don't go giving the rebels any ideas...
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
So if you want maintenance to be done at a different time, get lots and lots of your European friends to play STO.
Play what? Startrek Offline? Maybe if the servers were actually up sometimes I could actually get people to play.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Honestly, people, I'm actually glad Cryptic is running maintenance on their servers more frequently. An hour downtime daily isn't going to kill anyone. And who's to say, without speculation, what the real issue is? I'm not defending Cryptic, as I have my own issues with them & STO, but at least I'm realistic about the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
It definately needs it i either get bad lag every 10 seconds or get disconnected every minute now... its been gradually getting worse I'd recommend taking it down right now and fixing it to avoid the much needed maintenance.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. It may be to the fact that I'm a lifetime member and the "skip ahead in the line" seems to be working exactly as expected.

I'd agree with your signature, ignorance is BLISS.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-20-2012, 07:36 AM
I havent had any issues till last night. I logged in then sat unable to do anything but watch other people flying around. The lag issue was the worst I have seen and I would have to wait up to three minutes from the time I wouldl click on an action (like complete a doff assignment) till the system would acknowledge it. As it stands now I can't play the game. Hopefully this "reboot" will fix the lag problem.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Good grief there are a lot of miserable space truckers around, One hours maintanance a day is nothing. You'd probabley commit Hari Kari if you played EVE lol
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
As do I as well as 25 or so years of hands on IT experience (from back in the RG58 cable and token ring days) - and from your comments you could have fooled me.
The force is strong in this one.

RG58! That takes me back. But I'll go you one better: thicknet with vampire taps. Or RG52 and Arcnet! Novell Netware! (And believe it or not, there's still Token-Ring out there...)
Quote:
If you've ever worked in te REAL woorld with regard to Enterprise networks, internal teting can get you some usable data; but if once you open it to the real world if you get more traffic (which is good in the long run) then expected, you expand and tweak as you go, and that's probably what's occuring here.
This, this, a thousand times this.

In the BEST of circumstances, gauging network traffic/server utilization ahead of time is a tricky business. Oh sure, you get your traffic generators and run simulations, but it will never be exact. No simulation will behave the way HUMAN BEINGS behave.

More below.
Quote:
Again, if you know your expected load (IE you're working in a closed corporate enviroment and know the amount of users/devvices to expect) - internal load testing is easier. When you're dealing with just allowing the world at large to come banging on your metwork, it's harder to predict what your server load will be.
Bingo.

Let's say I have a new office coming online in my business. I know it's going to be, say, 200 people. I can look at my other offices and get a GENERAL idea of what kind of traffic load an office of that size will create, build in maybe an extra 20% for safety/growth, and away we go. Except maybe this new office is putting together a small team of video developers. If nobody bothers to tell the network or data center guys, then the capacity planning will be off.

But now here you have a complete unknown (and unknowable) amount of traffic about to hit. There's not a capacity planning guy in the world who could say with ANY accuracy how many F2P subs would sign up, how many would log in, how much they would play, and so on.
Quote:
Cryptic certainly has done better than SOE did recently with their F2P launch of DCUO.
Yep, and it's not even close. DCUO was down for HUGE chunks of time. Cryptic has one fairly long emergency maintenance (meaning a few hours or so), one medium-length emergency maintenance, and a couple of short scheduled reboots, and you'd think STO had been down for four days straight to read the forums.
Quote:
But hey, they can't win in either case as I'm sure had they not had load issues, you'd claim it's because they didn't get a lot of new players, etc; and going F2P was a big mistake.
Also, this.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Perhaps they are complaining because they are passionate about STO and want to play. At least that is my hope and yes better 1 hr downtime than several hours downtime. Also an influx of players puts stress on ANY system even one that might have been bulletproof before.

Come on you, complainers give them a break they are trying to get it so that there are serious problems down the road
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-20-2012, 08:09 AM
OMG! RG58, "thicknet", Novell... thanks for the trip down amnesia lane...lol Ok try this one on...Banyan Vines network!
Closed Thread