Lt. Commander
# 41
01-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
That doesn't invalidate my remark. Have you actually worked in the field? Degrees mean nothing without real world experience.
Neither does your or Armsman's "expertise" really. No MMO is the same. Some manage with weekly 30 minute maintenances (Rift) despite constantly adding major content updates while others have daily downtimes.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Shard is down.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovah View Post
OMG! RG58, "thicknet", Novell... thanks for the trip down amnesia lane...lol Ok try this one on...Banyan Vines network!
Oh yeah, I've worked on those. How about IBM LAN Manager? LANtastic? MS-NET? Sun's PC-NFS? And do you remember the difference between "red box" Netware and "blue box" Netware? Or how freaking long it took to COMPSURF a 100 MB hard drive?
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
That's crazy! You can't do that without first recalibrating the Theta-Matrix Compositor using rebooted Heisenberg Compensators.
Otherwise this would create a failure in the Space Matrix Restoration Coil which would in turn shortcircuit the Main Stage Flux Chiller, blowing up Cryptic Headquarters in its entirety.
Engineers... always trying to over-complicate things... Reverse the Polarity!
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovah View Post
OMG! RG58, "thicknet", Novell... thanks for the trip down amnesia lane...lol Ok try this one on...Banyan Vines network!
Vines??? LOL. I remember Vines, LANMan,DECnet,... I remember compsurf-ing a 20MB HD for NetWare 2 took four hours.

I remember MUMPS on my PDP-11.

I remember when Dvorak wasn't a complete imbecile.

I remember when "nerds" were not people to be appreciated... oh wait.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Neither does your or Armsman's "expertise" really.
Hiring managers would disagree on that.
Quote:
No MMO is the same. Some manage with weekly 30 minute maintenances (Rift) despite constantly adding major content updates while others have daily downtimes.
Right, and there are so many variables that NONE of us has any idea what the actual issues are. That's my point, and to say that Cryptic somehow screwed up without knowing any of that is just silly.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdeviant View Post
Vines??? LOL. I remember Vines... I remember initializing a 20MB HD for NetWare 2 took four hours.

I remember SpinRite.

I remember when Dvorak wasn't a complete imbecile.

I remember when "nerds" were not people to be appreciated... oh wait.
SpinRite is still very useful, believe it or not, though not quite as amazing as it was back in the MFM/RLL days.

Yeah, COMPSURFing was a blast, wasn't it? I used to make a point of buying Storage Dimensions' "Maximum Storage" (later shortened to MAXTOR) certified Netware-ready drives: no COMPSURF required! And the EISA controllers they came with were rather fast for the time.

Of course, Netware 3.x eliminated that nonsense altogether.

And yeah, WTF happened to Dvorak? He was (IMO) the smartest tech writer on the planet, back in the day. Also, remember reading Jerry Pournelle's column in Byte? Man, he had some cool toys.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Hiring managers would disagree on that.
Talk is cheap. Everyone is an expert in the internet.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-20-2012, 08:41 AM
They're trying to fool us into believing there are so many new players that they have to have daily maintenance or the servers would explode, while they are actually frantically trying to come up with something that will make us forget about all these "new players"
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
It appears cryptic can't even keep its basic server architecture together. clearly somebody wasn't doing their job and actually planning and testing for issues that would end up showing up when free to play hit

good example of why I have zero faith cryptic anymore. you don't see these kinds of problems from professional mmo developers. why? because they work this stuff out beforehand

2 emergency maintenances in less than 2 days is unacceptable
And how is this any different than what CCP does with EVE Online? They've been bringing the server down daily for maintenance almost since launch. Honestly, how is this any different?
Closed Thread