Lt. Commander
# 51
01-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Talk is cheap. Everyone is an expert in the internet.
What would you suggest? This is a forum, after all. Do you want me to email you my resume or something? You want to call my references?

This is pointless. You're welcome to believe what you like, but I find it interesting that NOBODY has made ANY attempt to challenge an actual point that Armsman or I made. Surely if we're just blowing smoke about our experience, someone would come along and point out (with actual reasoning and facts, not just blind assertions) how wrong we are about capacity planning.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkonis
And how is this any different than what CCP does with EVE Online? They've been bringing the server down daily for maintenance almost since launch. Honestly, how is this any different?
I don't play EVE but are those 2-4 hour maintenances?

*sigh* I really hope nothing breaks this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
This is pointless. You're welcome to believe what you like, but I find it interesting that NOBODY has made ANY attempt to challenge an actual point that Armsman or I made.
Exactly. It's pointless. I don't need to get e-cred.
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-20-2012, 09:46 AM
I love how you all think you know what might be going on yet the OP has stated that it is just a restart. All this speculation and arguing back and forth it's just stupid. Why don't you ASK the OP what they are doing to the servers instead of throwing out opinions and arguing over what it MAY be for. One of you claims to be an engineer. Did you get your degree from speculation and conjecture? All of you need to find something else to do when the servers go down instead of acting like you all think you know what you are talking about. Grow up and go grab a coffee or something and chill out. Bickering back and fourth on these forums makes me sick and that is why I rarely post here. Not one of you is gaining any more credibility with the other or anyone else for that matter. And to be honest I bet the devs and other workers at cryptic are lol'ing or shaking heads in disgust at the stupidity of you people who think you know whats going on. Just chill. It's a game after all. go out and check out some sunlight and take a deep breath. Servers will be live in 14 min.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm so glad we have a forum where some of us can compare the size of our IT-enises.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxlight2370 View Post
I love how you all think you know what might be going on yet the OP has stated that it is just a restart.
Last "restart" took an hour and included a 150MB patch.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
What would you suggest? This is a forum, after all. Do you want me to email you my resume or something? You want to call my references?

This is pointless. You're welcome to believe what you like, but I find it interesting that NOBODY has made ANY attempt to challenge an actual point that Armsman or I made. Surely if we're just blowing smoke about our experience, someone would come along and point out (with actual reasoning and facts, not just blind assertions) how wrong we are about capacity planning.
I was reading the debate criticizing Cryptic and it occured to me the whole subject misses the point. Consider a post I just made to someone which I think adaquately covers the issue from the point at which it really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChutter
Hi all this is my first time playing an MMO, and i must say im hooked. As a Star Trek fan im a little bias, but that has nothing to do with how awsome this game is(well maybe just a little ) Keep up the good work Cryptic!!!
An MMO virgin? Your a rare breed.

STO is not the best MMO. I don't think any MMO is necessarily the best.

An MMO is either good enough, or its not.

STO is definately good enough.

I had a blast for over 3 months when I preordered and played when it launched.

Now I am back with F2P and having fun again and at some point I will probably get the itch to spend a little real cash for the added extras.

To me if an MMO is good enough it will hold your interest for a good while and like any MMO at some point you get burned out and take a long vacation. Add to that any MMO is subject to the personal taste of the player, so what is good enough for some is just not what others will ever be interested in.

If it turns it was good enough you eventually come back for more. If you don't come back for more then it was just not for you in terms of taste, or it was just not good enough.

Like you I am a Star Trek fan, so taste is not the issue. Since I am back it must be good enough.

Quote:
So ask the naysays. If you hate STO so much for the technical issues why are you wasting your time posting about it in their forum?
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Last "restart" took an hour and included a 150MB patch.
Still not a reason to argue like these people are. Like boys with toys ffs.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxlight2370 View Post
Still not a reason to argue like these people are. Like boys with toys ffs.
I just think it's unfair to slam Cryptic and say nasty things about them when we really have no justification for doing so. Someone claimed that a competent company should be able to predict what would happen. I just wanted to refute that.

The rest was more about reminiscing than anything else, but I admit this is an Internet forum and one can usually expect things to be taken in the worst way possible.
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkliea1978 View Post
Good grief there are a lot of miserable space truckers around, One hours maintanance a day is nothing. You'd probabley commit Hari Kari if you played EVE lol
Space Truckers...now you'll have me humming that song all day...
Gods I miss Deep Purple...
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
I just think it's unfair to slam Cryptic and say nasty things about them when we really have no justification for doing so. Someone claimed that a competent company should be able to predict what would happen. I just wanted to refute that.

The rest was more about reminiscing than anything else, but I admit this is an Internet forum and one can usually expect things to be taken in the worst way possible.
Point taken. However, This kind of behavior is not what I expect out of an adult(s) regardless of the fact that this is the internet. Just because there is a barrier between you and the next Man/Woman does not justify this sort of argumentative behavior at all. It's time people learned that.
Closed Thread