Lt. Commander
Okay, so had the joy of playing in Beta & when the game was originally release. Left after a few months as did everything I could!

Decided to give the game another stab and these are my thoughts so far.

Positive Side:
  • Visually, it's come along way since first released. Still come across the odd GFX glitches (which I do a ticket out for).

• Lots more missions to play around in. Again, encountered numerous bugs (mostly character getting stuck on ground missions or storyline characters falling through the map or just vanishing!)

• New skill layout is alot more user friendly

• Slip stream drive makes moving around in sector space a lot better

• Player content missions - big thumbs up on that one

Things that's haven't gone down well so far:
  • Ground Combat UI bugged - on ground missions freezing so unable to perform any actions! Thankfully a teammate advised a quick relog to fix as the keyboard was about to meet Mr Hammer! Had this bug since returning over 2 weeks now.
  • Lack of Content once you hit 50 - Now admitedly, this is a sort of double edged sword as I only had to skill up 5 levels on my return yet as a casual gamer. 3 Elite Space maps is very "meh" (soz but until the UI bug is fixed, wont be doing any ground ones).

Also, anyone who is level 50 can access them! I've been very lucky in most teams have been a great help in pointing out what to do. On the flip side, I've also been in ones that have imploded as people haven't a clue what they're doing, regardless of how much you try to help!

Something needs putting in place to sort this out. Whether it's restricting Elites to those that have ran normals a set number of times or a Certain level of Gear required, I don't know.

• Gold member v' F2P member - hardly any difference between the two! Again, something that really needs to be looked at.

• Load Screens - this annoyed the hell out of me when I first tried the game out & still does. More time seems spent looking at them than playing the game. Never known any other MMO to have so many! Personally, I find this breaks the flow of things.

• Downtime - again, way too much. It's either poor hardware or poor QA which is causing this. Needs sorting or the games rep will end up down the pan!

So all in all I'm 50/50 on the game so far. Without more End Game content though, numbers will peak (due to F2P) then drop like a stone as people run out of fun things to do.

More ESTF's, add some 10 man ones, mix up the maps some more, mix up the content some more, sort out the shards to decrease the amount of load screens required.

And that's me done.. coffee & smoke time.. peace out

*edited bit*
One more annoyance - if you block someone (ninja looter, idiot or whatever), you still end up in a team with them!! That seriously needs sorting out!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-28-2012, 08:25 AM
im also a returning player and i find that if you try some of the foundry missions they are great fun but time consuming as well. Im enjoyingthe stf`s greatly and am looking forward to the new episode next month so more to do then.

I also agree about the nijnja looters it gets to the stage where everyone just needs in the end just do away with need or greed and just have pass or take choice this would sort it but hey that just me
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Yes I am a returning player to and I agree on most of the facts..

Downtime times are horrible.. really bad times like midday or evenings.. it really sucks. I concider to put money in the game for aditional slots and so on but why would I do that? The server is always down on times I CAN play..

and the down times are always over due..
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Two words to answer all the people who say "There are only three missions to do at lvl 50!"

THE. FOUNDRY.

There are dozens and dozens of wonderful foundry missions, new ones regularly, and you have even have a daily that requires you to do them! Why do more people not play the foundry?

Also, Three more words to those save people:

PEE. VEE. PEE.
The "Endgame" of any MMO is usually built on its PvP. EVERY match is new and different, and there is no greater challenge than pitting your skills against the skills of another player. Granted the "Sometimes I get a really bad team which ruins my experience" but this is easily solvable by MEETING PEOPLE and making friends, teaming with them!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy72
*edited bit*
One more annoyance - if you block someone (ninja looter, idiot or whatever), you still end up in a team with them!! That seriously needs sorting out!
there's an option for that in the social tab, there should be a LFT settings (or something that starts with L, can't remember). it allows you to be open teaming (be teamed up whether you want it or not), or closed teaming (NEVER teamed)

just find it, change it, and that should change that part of the game
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen.Montgomery View Post
Two words to answer all the people who say "There are only three missions to do at lvl 50!"

THE. FOUNDRY.
The foundry has a history of inconsistency.

Quote:
Why do more people not play the foundry?
The rewards aren't substantial enough, added to a history of bugs, problems and downtime.

Quote:
Also, Three more words to those save people:

PEE. VEE. PEE.
Oh my, gosh no. Not this game. Its history with PvP is sketchy. They haven't done much if anything to develop, evolve or improve PvP since launch day.

Quote:
The "Endgame" of any MMO is usually built on its PvP.
The western standard of MMO endgame development has traditionally been raid level content that progresses through tiers in updates and expansions.

Quote:
EVERY match is new and different
Not really. The PvP community here is small. The goals of the maps are pretty much the same. You can get into a grind in PvP just as easily as you can doing "daily" PvE missions. Same people. Same map. Same result a lot of the time too.

The only way that changes is if the development team offers some development and evolution on the PvP front.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen.Montgomery View Post

THE. FOUNDRY.

There are dozens and dozens of wonderful foundry missions, new ones regularly, and you have even have a daily that requires you to do them! Why do more people not play the foundry?!
I'm Not talking about standard missions - I'm talking about "End Game Content" missions - i.e. ELite 5 man maps. Of which there are only 3 for space & 3 for ground

Already stated that The Foundry is a most welcome addition to the game but most are here to play a MMO.

That means being involved with others to complete a task or objective which you wouldn't be able to do solo. And then being able to fit out your characters and Ships with the best gear available ingame to make said dungeons easier to run.
This is then supposed to lead you on to more Challenging content which appears to be missing!!

PvP wise, whilst I personally enjoy faffing about with it, most others don't. To most it boils down to:

Who can deal the most DPS against the opposing team to win whilst fitting enough buffer to tank their DPS.

Any MMO which puts you in a "levelling a character" situation must have enough end game content to keep the people amused once they reach the cap.

If you don't, boredom will kick in quicker than a copy of Hello doing the rounds in a nunnery! Players leave & game goes into free-fall (which personally, I don't want to see happen to this one)

and Trek17, I'll have to have a nosey at that once the servers come back online. thanks for that bit of info
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Totally agree with shimmy in case of the end game content. There is pretty much none existent and PVP is a pain in da a** the way it is at the moment. New Episodes every few months is nice, but once u reach VA there isnt much to do. So how about give the PvP some more attention. The Queue is rly bad, sometimes u wait hours for a fight to start. How about put in open PvP sectors? Territorial PvP? Fleets can claim systems or sectors? Build a starbase or just claim it, once its claimed its safe for 24h or more hours and then it can be attacked again by other fleets. the owners could place NPC Vendors, everything that gets sold or bought there brings the owner some money, like Tax.

Instead of giving the ability to put any kind of weapon on your ship, it should be restricted, fed phasers, klingons disruptors and in exchange put in other playeble races with their specific weapons and ships and with that you could put in more sectors and systems for those species.

I have read so mny good ideas on the forum, would be nice if some of it would be put into the game. cuz since i am back, all i was doing is STF, everything else i finished like almost a year ago when i left the game. Since then there isnt rly any new end game content.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm afraid that there's little that can be done about the loadscreens, but the game could handle them in a better way. For example players should be able to access sector space from every point within a system. Additionally exploration systems should offer the option to access regular sector space without going through the exploration sector space. Every point in the Sol System should also offer the option to jump to the nearby Alpha Centauri Sector. And it'd be amazing, if you could travel between regular sectors without loading screens. The sector you leave could vanish behind you, while the sector you enter could appear in front of you. Maybe. I'm not a technician, and it's surely not easy to implement such a "streaming transition" between the sectors, but maybe it's not completely impossible.

Quote:
How about put in open PvP sectors? Territorial PvP? Fleets can claim systems or sectors? Build a starbase or just claim it, once its claimed its safe for 24h or more hours and then it can be attacked again by other fleets. the owners could place NPC Vendors, everything that gets sold or bought there brings the owner some money, like Tax.
Ever played Battlestar Galactica Online? Without evenly balanced factions "Sector PvP" won't work without huge additional features, that address the unevenly balanced factions. The small question for Sector PvP leads pretty much to a game of its own within a game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-28-2012, 02:09 PM
as a returning player myself, I've found most of it just fine... except for one thing.

Sometime in the intervening year since I played last they massively overhauled consoles, making 4 of my 9 consoles on my main's ship and 2 of 9 on my alt's ship either useless or so gimped that they practically are.

I replaced one on my main's ship, spending an absurd amount of dilithium to do it, and just now discovered the other 5 were nerfed into oblivion.

And to replace them is going to cost either practically all my energy credits or weeks work of grinding dilithium, or otherwise grinding excessively.

I worked my butt off getting the materials to make those consoles with in the first place, after the game was changed to make them viable. Why in the heck should I have to regrind, even harder, to replace them?

Seriously, I've got Mark XI blue consoles that last year were tied for best I could get, and are now equivalent to captain level greens.

With no trade in option and no compensation. Just the prospect of spending quite literally all my energy credits and spending weeks grinding... and maybe ending up with lower quality consoles to boot.

That's very nearly a dealbreaker. It might be, I haven't decided. It's not right that after I spent weeks grinding to get them I have to spend weeks more replacing them, through no fault of my own. I'm going to have to think about if I want to continue to play STO now.

Edit: Saved by the fact you can craft antiproton mag consoles... had to spend nearly every c-point I'd bought with dilithium since I came back, but I can craft replacements. Still mad.