Ensign
# 1 Broadband!
01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Looking for peeps that know way more about this stuff than me.

I am currently with Virgin Media on 60mb connection, but for over 6months now we have been a victim of a huge over utilisation problem meaning that the internet is all but useless for a but a few hours a day, sometimes down to 0.02mb and STO doesn't find this agreable...lol, and VM keep failing to provide a fix and repair dates are constantly pushed back.

BUt I'm kinda stuck as VM is the only Fibre BB provider in our area (hence they have no need nor hurry to effect a repair). I could transfer to BT BB but would only get a 3mb connection speed, and while this is good for most things would it be good enough for STO. Is the consistency of the connection more important than raw speed.

Thanks in advance for any help.....
Career Officer
# 2
01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
ever thought of encrypting your network so that your neighbors cannot use your wifi?
# 3
01-30-2013, 09:19 AM
My network is encrypted! The fault lies with Virgin Media themselves and their over utilisation of the network. They quite happily admit it as there is no Fibre alternative for us to use, the network is running at 95-100% most of the time and several fix dates have slipped and new ones set. Next due repair is 20/02 but expecting that to fail as all the previous ones have. That's why i need to think about an ISP move, so asking is 3mb enough to run STO?
Career Officer
# 4
01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
don't quote me on this, but I think it should be. I used to run this game on an old school wifi (pre-3g) before we upgraded our modem to a state of the art model fairly recently. So I think it should be viable on a lower quality modem. That said I have to wonder at why a family network is acting as support for an entire neighborhood or worse an entire city as the sounds of it appears...
# 5
01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
OK thank you for that!

Maybe I'm not explaining it well. My network(inside my house) isn't supporting anything except the people in my house. Virgin Media the ISP for our geographical area run the Fibre Optic Network(area network) of whiich we are just one customer. They have signed up way too many customers/houses than their network can comfortably handle so when everybody is in their homes and all trying to use the internet on games consoles/computer/streaming TV it is making the ISP's network run at 95-100% constantly, they call it over utilisation but basically means 'we were greedy Sh*** and signed up too many houses for our networks capacity.' They keep promising to upgrade their (area network) so it would then be able to handle the high traffic, but as there is no Fibre alternative they have no rush to do so and just keep fobbing us off and delaying the repair.
Career Officer
# 6
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
No Comcast or Time/Warner in your area?
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Ensign
# 7
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Unfortuately not. We have the simple choice Virgin media who have the fibre optic network but are vastly over subscribed so nigh on useless. Or British Telecom which provide an up to 16mb connection over normal landline. Unfortuantely our distance from the exchange means we would run at 3mb but at least it would be consistent. That's why i wondered if the 3mb consistent connection would run STO. The choice being 50-60mb for 2 hours a day and useless anytime else or a 3mb connection that is constant!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
The "good" news is that for playing the game the BT/SkyBB speeds works is fine.

The issue comes when the game is patched. I used to be on Sky BB and the speed at ended up being less 2Mbit per sec. So When a game updated.. I often found a DVD to watch.

Virgin Media, BT and Sky are most of the big names in UK broadband. Sky technically uses BT's network. So both Sky and BT have the same issue with speed (Oh and Sky's speed is deadly if you want to use the On Demand funtion on your TV). ComCast and Time/Warner aren't really around, under those names. There is AOL which is holding on, via the same BT system.

Last edited by bignutter; 01-30-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Commander
# 9
01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Comcast and Time Warner (Bright House in some areas) are US cable providers...I doubt they'd have a presence in the UK.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Ensign
# 10
01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks bignutter!